Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:52 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,507,523 times

Advertisements

Has anyone replaced any windows with Renewal by Anderson?

How did it work out for you? Are you happy?

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 03:22 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,849,306 times
The window frames are made from a hybrid product called Fibrex. YOU are the test dummy for it as it has no history. It may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. It may fall apart quick- no history for the product. The warranty of 20 years is not bad but not good enough for the premium price they command. There are better windows out there with lifetime warranties that cost about the same, maybe even less. Andersen does not install these windows. It's a product targeted to the secondary window installer. Warranty issues may catch you between the installer denying fault and the manufacturer denying fault. Any other comments I would have about them is pretty much mirrored at the following link:
https://thewindowdog.com/replacement...ndows-reviews/

When it comes to windows, always go with the proven, long life, energy efficient windows. Those that have a history of being a good value will be the best choice. You'll spend a lot less money over your lifetime going that route.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andersen_Corporation

Andersen looked at expansion through acquisitions to further its product line, technology and distribution, including a new international division. Silver Line develops the American Craftsman brand exclusively for The Home Depot stores in 1990.[2] In 1991, Andersen developed Fibrex material, a composite made of wood fiber reclaimed from Andersen manufacturing operations and a thermoplastic polymer, some of which is also reclaimed. Among its features are resistance to rotting, excellent insulation and low thermal expansion in extreme temperatures.[citation needed]

Renewal by Andersen was founded in 1995

I seemed to remember that Renewal windows had been around for longer than TrapperL seems to be saying. I first heard of them in 1998 or 1999. I don't have an opinion about them though. I think the OP is wise to ask this question here. I imagine someone here has had experience with these windows.

Also, check Angie's List and/or BBB for info on the contractor offering these.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2017, 10:41 PM

17,447 posts, read 65,806,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think the OP is wise to ask this question here. I imagine someone here has had experience...

Yeah; like let's start with why do you think your current "windows" need to be replaced?

The whole "replacement window" market is such a sham, and there's new legislation/code in the pipeline that will probably strongly alter the current "no holds-barred" mentality of manufacturers.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:09 AM

^^ what is this new code in the pipeline, very interested. I happen to like this part of government, when they pass laws that benefit consumers.

First of all thank you all very much for your info. I really appreciate any and all info.

We have a very bad 'leak' in two windows near my husbands desk. Live in Vegas and the wind whips through it leaving all kind of dust. I think they were damaged when we were remodeling. We've had people out trying to fix them. He has lung issues so now its also a health issue.

Our office is in our home, warehouse in another state. In our office area, being on the south side of the house, the sun is unrelenting. The windows we have, while an upgrade, are aluminum. So this area of the house is hotter than the rest. Our HVAC guy says its the windows also. There is nothing he can do.

These windows are expensive! Renewals by Anderson have their own installers, at least here in Vegas. We are doing our home work. Found some houses near us that have them, going to contact the owners. Consumer reports rate them higher than most but 80 out of 100 to me does seem great. 34% would not buy them again.
ConsumerAlerts.com shows issues but many of these are condensation, people living back east or midwest. Won't have that here.

They claim a 20 year warranty BUT its very limited. Looks like they paid an entire law firm to butcher the warranty.

We just finished remodeling last year. UGH to spending any more big money on the house.

Again any recommendations you pass on aren't in vain. We will check them out.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 05-03-2017 at 07:20 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 08:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,164,534 times
I have had some experience with the Renewal by Andersen product and systems. It is a good product and the installers are trained in a system developed by the factory. The local firms that sell the product are part of network / franchise that tends to emphasize a "do it right" business model -- that is good thing as too many other "replacement windows" are sold by guys that might have been selling used cars or carpet the previous week.

The Fibrex material is excellent -- very similar positives to wood with no real negatives. Been in use for about 30 years and really is "engineered" specifically for windows, builds on all the lessons that Andersen has learned from its own "premium new construction wood windows clad with vinyl" as well as competing materials. It makes for a far superior product to vinyl windows which have expansion rates that are VERY different than wood and eventually cause problems. Aluminum is not a bad material for "cladding" wood windows so they don't need paint BUT if the OP's existing windows are structured of aluminum the issues that occur include "heat related deformation" and subsequent sealing problems...

Given that their existing windows are having sealing issues as well as potential problems with heat gain it makes for the OP to consider the likelihood that whatever damage happened during remodeling is not going to be easy to fix and it very well may make sense to address the problem by having skilled installers use a product specifically designed for replacement.

The warranty for any product is only as valuable as the firm that stands behind it and the reasons that the warranty is structured with limitations is because Andersen makes the the frame, glass/sealed unit, hardware, and installation materials. They know that that the lifespan of the frame and sealed units will greatly exceed 20 years. The worst case for the hardware is less than that and when it comes to things like installation there are even more variables so they cannot have the same period of coverage. That said, the longevity of the product AND the quality of the whole installation is top notch.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:31 AM

So, you have a problem with two windows- outa maybe 20?
Why would you not repair i.e.; replace weatherstripping/sashes instead of the whole window? Then you have two windows that don't match the rest of the house.

When was the house built? I.G. Sashes? Knowing NFRC rating/ U factor for Vegas can also help.

*the proposed code/legislation has to do with "pocket replacement" windows and egress code.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:09 AM

We've had several different people out here trying to fix them. That won't work. You are close, we have 24 windows. Several are large panes of glass, no opening.

We would replace all in front, due to the ones that aren't broke being aluminum and heat conductors. And face south and west.

We are shopping and having 2 other companies come out next week. Anderson has a machine that give UV and several other ratings.

We are following city & fire codes. All rooms have windows that open and or doors.

Thank you Chet for the info.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
We've had several different people out here trying to fix them. That won't work.
You mean, "they" don't know how the windows work. Single hung/double hung /bi-pass windows are the "least" mechanical products in a home. Someone who really understands the mechanics and the assembly of a window unit can fix them.

But, to each his own...

Old 05-08-2017, 08:37 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,164,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You mean, "they" don't know how the windows work. Single hung/double hung /bi-pass windows are the "least" mechanical products in a home. Someone who really understands the mechanics and the assembly of a window unit can fix them.

But, to each his own...
The OP mentioned that the windows seem to have gotten "out of whack" following a remodel -- I'd bet that something happened to twist the window or framing in such a way that things are not worth trying to "fix" as household grade aluminum is notoriously soft and once twisted / stretched is cheaper just to start over...

Even an 1/16" of deflection, over the length of a normal 3'+ window opening can lead to SIGNIFICANT air infiltration. Assuming the OP has already had professionals try to various standard "fixes" like upgraded weather-stripping on the sealing surface of the window that did not solve the issue it probably makes sense to consider replacement of the windows.

That said, I do agree that whoever has been out ought to know how the windows are supposed to "work" and even casement units and such with complicated hinges / moving pivots ought to have very obvious sealing surfaces. I have seen some rather complicated products that can make an airtight seal around basically ANY kind of door or window including on ships and things like "industrial clean rooms" but such efforts ought not be necessary in any residential setting. The issue is probably one where the "out of whack" window / opening cannot be COST-EFFECTIVELY re-sealed in a way that still allows for a "normal" appearance /operation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House