Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 10:19 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times

Advertisements

Three years ago, we replaced our HVAC system. We had a Trane system before that was still going strong at 17 years old, which is a LONG time for here in Texas, where it runs pretty constantly. We decided to replace it over the winter to save some money, knowing it was just a matter of time.

Anyway, because the previous system was such a champ, we replaced it with another Trane. Basically the same system, just the new version.

We the blower motor on the upstairs unit went out. The thermostat (it's a Nest) will say it's cooling, and the unit outside will come on, but the unit in the attic does nothing. No air blowing out. Service guy was outside today with the diagnosis.

It's under warranty, but now I'm nervous. Should things like this be breaking so soon? Nothing ever broke on our old unit in all of it's 17 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 12:22 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,585 times
Many years ago, our 4 years old Bryant unit had it's blower motor fail. It was still under warranty, so they replaced it for free. No idea why it died. But anything mechanical can fail early for any number or reason. Most AC/furnace companies have 10 year warranties on all the parts. You may have to pay the labor after a year, but a 10 year warranty is pretty good insurance.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:37 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Three years ago, we replaced our HVAC system. We had a Trane system before that was still going strong at 17 years old, which is a LONG time for here in Texas, where it runs pretty constantly. We decided to replace it over the winter to save some money, knowing it was just a matter of time.

Anyway, because the previous system was such a champ, we replaced it with another Trane. Basically the same system, just the new version.

We the blower motor on the upstairs unit went out. The thermostat (it's a Nest) will say it's cooling, and the unit outside will come on, but the unit in the attic does nothing. No air blowing out. Service guy was outside today with the diagnosis.

It's under warranty, but now I'm nervous. Should things like this be breaking so soon? Nothing ever broke on our old unit in all of it's 17 years.
Oh dear lord. The Nest again. We lost 3 motors when we purchased our home last year before we ripped out the damn Nest thermostats. Personally I believe, despite the 3rd wire, they are cycling the motor and causing it to fail. I recommend getting rid of the Nest. Just my opinion. Old motors were just motors, now they are smart motors. Get rid of Nest. If you want smart thermostat try one of the other brands like Honeywell. We just put in the regular old thermostats and they are working fine.

Oh and our units were about 3 years old as well. We thought it was a fluke when both the downstairs and upstairs blower motors went but then this winter we had to put the heat on one night (Florida don't usually need heat) and woke up to a freezing house and the Nest reading 80. The Nest went haywire and not only was it shot but it blew out the downstairs motor again.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:56 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Oh dear lord. The Nest again. We lost 3 motors when we purchased our home last year before we ripped out the damn Nest thermostats.
I've said it before and will keep doing so: T-87
Keep it simple.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:56 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Oh dear lord. The Nest again. We lost 3 motors when we purchased our home last year before we ripped out the damn Nest thermostats. Personally I believe, despite the 3rd wire, they are cycling the motor and causing it to fail. I recommend getting rid of the Nest. Just my opinion. Old motors were just motors, now they are smart motors. Get rid of Nest. If you want smart thermostat try one of the other brands like Honeywell. We just put in the regular old thermostats and they are working fine.

Oh and our units were about 3 years old as well. We thought it was a fluke when both the downstairs and upstairs blower motors went but then this winter we had to put the heat on one night (Florida don't usually need heat) and woke up to a freezing house and the Nest reading 80. The Nest went haywire and not only was it shot but it blew out the downstairs motor again.
The thermostat seems to be working just fine. It's like it's telling the unit to come on, and the outside usit does come on, but the unit in the attic is doing nothing. Hope that makes sense.

I will look into this more though. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
The thermostat seems to be working just fine. It's like it's telling the unit to come on, and the outside unit does come on, but the unit in the attic is doing nothing. Hope that makes sense.

I will look into this more though. Thanks!
So were ours except the last time. The nest used the technology of pulling power for charging the unit called "short cycling" for units that didn't have a C wire. As far as I know other manufacturers don't use this. I don't trust Nest though they were nice and high tech. If we consider this type of thermostat in the future we will go to another manufacturer.

We went KISS technology (Keep it Simple S....)

Old 05-03-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I've said it before and will keep doing so: T-87
Keep it simple.
They came with the house, we would never have spent the money for them. Something in them fails IMHO that causes them to cycle the unit for power. It is too coincidental that 3 motors would go but time will tell if we have no failures using the KISS thermostats.

This one which we had in our old house. http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...d480d_1000.jpg

Old 05-03-2017, 07:14 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
T-87 is the Honeywell round. I have a Nest but I keep one of those around in case the thing fails in the dead of winter or on a 100+ degree day (which face it, is always when things fail). My HVAC has an old-fashioned contactor (and no C wire); if it was cycling at 60Hz, I'd know.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:30 AM

The problem, I believe, is that it is not supposed to cycle (hence the C wire which gives it the power) but for some reason they both were (I have an upstairs and downstairs units). In an old motor system it wouldn't be too much of a problem, a $2 capacitor or whatever would be replaced and it would work again but in the newer motors everything and it's mother is inside the motor and you cannot open the motor and repair. Replacing a capacitor a few times before realizing the Nest was malfunctioning would be just an annoyance, replacing the motors that are $400+ even when you can do the job yourself is costly if you can't it could reach $800 - $1000 as they would jack the cost of the motor and then add labor.

Interestingly at least two of the times they failed I had the systems off for a period of time. The first time upstairs I had the a/c off and turned it on when we had guests. The third time I had it off because the weather was cool and didn't need a/c or heat. When we turned it on for an especially cold night it failed. The second time, I can't recall, but we might have been away and I turned it off then back on as we were returning. The Nest, if it doesn't get power from the C wire gets power from cycling. Something must have indicated to the system that a C wire wasn't installed (and yes, my husband tested continuity on all the wires).

Old 05-04-2017, 09:18 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,961 times
Quote:
Nothing ever broke on our old unit in all of it's 17 years.
Nearly every electrical component inside a furnace today comes from overseas. It wasn't that way 20 years ago. The mfg's went cheap/overseas and curb buyer's remorse with a warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House