Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 06:38 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times

Advertisements

My grandmother was like this, but she was a child of the Depression. Same with her cabinets. If you opened them, canned food would come flying out at you lol.

My mother, her daughter, is the exact opposite. Both her fridge and cabinets are meticulous with only enough food to get through the week and the cabinets purged of all expired food.

For myself, usually I clean the fridge on trash day and throw out anything inedible or likely not to be eaten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 06:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We have a 1927 Monitor top fridge. It is pretty small so it is alwayys packed. We have a more modern fride in an adjoining room. It is mostly empty. We have it for the freexzer and for beer for the most part

Old 05-07-2017, 07:37 PM

461 posts, read 509,103 times
In the houses I have seen with very full fridges, it has been mostly pickles or condiments, sauces etc.. not actual food that would go bad. My fridge is bare as I any meat I have is in the freezer and I don't have that much condiments. Don't buy milk as I don't use it enough to be worth it. Leftover boxes do take up a lot of room but I eat those within three days or so.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:30 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
No. My refrigerator is usually mostly empty. My freezer is usually full.
I don't like to waste food, so I normally only buy perishables as I need them and then use them right away.
That's my style, too. We're lucky to live close to several groceries, plus we usually have chickens and a garden. Being able to see what's in the fridge reminds me to use what's fresh and on hand.

Now the freezer...er, freezers....

Old 05-07-2017, 08:35 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Not quite.
But, we are downsizing from https://www.whirlpool.com/kitchen/re...rs571cidm.html
to
Built In Refrigeration | BI-30U/O | Sub-Zero & Wolf
Because I hate our Whirlpool and want a Sub-Zero, dammit.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:59 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
My kitchen fridge is mostly full after my wife goes shopping and it gradually empties over the course of the week. My beer fridge in my "cave" is either packed full or empty of everything but condiments. Right now it is empty, but I will probably fill it tomorrow.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:30 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Oh, SURE!

Top shelf with tea, juice, milk and waters; middle shelf of cheese, tortillas & waters; bottom shelf of more tea, eggs, potatoes, apples and oranges. Crispers filled with lettuce, avocados, veggies, fruit and potatoes. Door filled with butter, bbq sauce, sodas, anchovy paste, and teas.

Things could always be better arranged but there is always a way to fit a little bit more in, such as the remains of a brisket wrapped in tin foil on the bottom shelf. A lot of the cheese containers, Feta and Bleu, are "empty" but awaiting their rinsing the next time I make a stew.

Chest freezer out in the garage has a holiday ham, a pork loin, another brisket, loaves of French bread, lots of bite size candy, and probably more tortillas. It's not packed full,though.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:32 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Beer fridge is full Alcohol disinfects so no cleaning required.
Upright freezer is useable organized with drawers. We are working our way through it right now. It gets stocked up with good sales. It gets cleaned once a month.
Kitchen fridge has some room, it holds mostly juices, wine, fruit/vegetables, dairy and condiments. The freezer drawer is for nuts, cookies/cinnamon rolls and cup size breakfast burrito fillings. I clean it once a week.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:43 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Its full of drink type things - water mostly.

And yes I know people that like to keep it packed as if the end of the world is coming. Mostly older. Afraid of the world coming to an end. Buy sides of beef and spend days prepping for the freezer.

Oh and never throwing anything away.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:55 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Always stuffed full. We go through a lot of fresh veggies and they do all get used before they spoil. There are a lot of sauces and jarred items that I put into green salads like pickled peppers, artichoke hearts, and other assorted jarred items that we call "salad goodies". Two or three kinds of salad dressing. Cheese. There is a shelf for my son's beer. He drinks boutique beer and has several different types. One shelf is full of dog food; that's about 4 days worth and the rest is put in the freezer. I cook brown rice one week at a time.

I've got medication in there for me and for the dogs.

Sometimes there are carefully scheduled leftovers. There is always milk and sometimes fruit juice. Eggs. Meat defrosting; right now, there is a whole frozen turkey in there that is thawing out so that I can cook it in a couple of days. After it is cooked, there will be leftover turkey in the fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House