Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 05:26 AM

19 posts, read 36,157 times

Advertisements

Concrete foundation crack? What's the appropriate way to fix?-image.jpg

Concrete foundation crack? What's the appropriate way to fix?-img_2578.jpg

Hi All,

We had some insulation problems around one of the baseboards downstairs. Our home is on a concrete slab in North Carolina. I posted this issue before and the original post was the below. After a year the HOA finally figured out what was going on with the moisture around the baseboards. Turns out there is a long crack in the foundation (after opening up the drywall we can see this line goes all the way along the entire exterior wall). The crack seems to be between the concrete foundation and the wood beam/brick wall surrounding the foundation (not sure what's the correct term for this thing). And we had several contractors came and they agreed its a construction defect. One of them said the builder built the frame on the brick wall instead of the concrete foundation! And now the wall is moving away from the foundation and the crack appeared. But we are not sure if thats really the case. All we can see by opening up the drywall is this crack along the beam. Any one knows how to repair this?? I've attached a pic.

Thanks!!!

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...oard-what.html

Last edited by audreyywq; 05-07-2017 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Adding pics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 07:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyywq View Post
Concrete foundation crack?
...there is a long crack in the foundation
That is NOT a crack. It's shrinkage along the edge.

Quote:
Any one knows how to repair this??
You need to fill the gap with something.

Backer rod might be all you need. LINK

Old 05-07-2017, 07:48 AM

Thank you mr Rational!! Sounds like it's not a big concern ~

Old 05-07-2017, 08:16 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
From what I read, what I think I see in the photos, you got your answer in this post-

//www.city-data.com/forum/45237536-post9.html

If this IS NOT the current condition, you have a house(?) that IS NOT constructed properly! The repair(s) may or maynot be adequate for the existing problem-

I can't believe this is still an on-going issue after almost a year- you should have already tried "some remedy"- and been on to litigation!

Old 05-07-2017, 08:54 AM

Hi K'ledgeBldr, thanks for your reply!!

Yes it's a townhouse.

We didn't know there is a crack until after opening up the drywall. Always thought it's just some insulation issue/broken sheathing in there. And that's when the whole repairing process slowed down again...the original contractor who opened up the wall and told us there's some construction defect going on disappeared later and the HOA sent another contractor who then outsourced this repair job to someone else..it took them several months to finally came back.

They dont seem to be willing to explain to us what was going on and how they planned to do with it except for telling us they will fix it. So we did research by ourselves but very few resources online looked similar to the situation we are facing. We asked on the phone if they need to use some concrete mix or something to fill the gap and they said probably. On the day the guy from the subcontracting company came, we were finally told they were going to use backer rod and caulk to fill the crack. Given the previous experiences with multiple contractors came and go trying to fix with different things and nothing worked, I really had no idea whether that's the correct way to fix it. After such a long waiting I'm really afraid they are like the previous contractors that just came and cover up the issue and left. Sorry for the long post.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:15 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Granted this will be a few hundred bucks outa your pocket, but hire a PE (structural engineer) and have them assess what is actually going on/how this came to pass. From there you can determine which way you need to proceed.

I can say from almost certainty that the continual flow of sub's is no one wants to take responsibility for any future problems if they "touch it" today.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:36 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
I would call Mike Holmes and get a new house.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:59 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyywq View Post
we were finally told they were going to use backer rod and caulk to fill the crack.
Personally, I would have them "repair" it, then sell it. Immediately. Disclose the issue as "HOA professionally repaired cement crack on xx/xx/2017" Dont get any details on how they fixed it. Ignorance is bliss.

Best case scenario the house is finished settling and no more cracks will happen.

Worst case scenario the house will continue to settle, outside bricks will crack, windows will peel away from the bricks, doors wont shut, the list is endless. Life will get very complicated if this happens.

Sell it. Sell it before anyone else claims the same thing and this entire development turns into a place where everyone doesnt want to buy and prices plummet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House