Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:11 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,249,758 times

Advertisements

This was my FIL's home and neglected for the past 20 years. He passed away and now, the work begins.

We've had several quotes for a roof and selected a firm. Two of the roofing companies passed on the job stating that the home may have structural damage due to the chimney.

Personally, I would like the chimney gone.

The fireplace was never used and I wouldn't mind seeing that go either. The home was originally built in 1981 and that was a perk at the time.

The roofing company is going to re-look at the chimney situation.

Has anyone removed a chimney?

**After a lot of work is done, we will either rent (leaning in that direction) or sell this home**

***Note: If someone offers us a good price, we would definitely sell. Then, we would buy something closer to where we live currently**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 06:24 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Leave that nightmare for the new buyer to decide on (and pay for).

Old 05-14-2017, 06:28 PM

Smile Rot around the chimney

This is why it might have to go.....

We would get nothing for the home in its present state. It is in a good rental area and would rent quickly.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:54 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
I had 2 chimneys (on my 1930's house, both non-op coal burners) taken down below the roof-line. It was about $500 extra (on an $18k job, nasty mongrel of a roof) and took them less than 3 hours, including Saving the original chimney-pots that topped the chimneys.

Really, it was a non-issue. Simple as could be to take it below the roof line. Taking it ALL the way out though, probably not cheap.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:00 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
A house "neglected" for 20yrs is probably a hopeless cause- unless you get it for free. Which, in your case is practically the same thing.

So, looking at it from a "business" standpoint how much will it cost to get in as good, or better shape, as the homes around it? Now, how much is the house worth right now? How much are comp's selling for right now?

Do the math!

For most people this is not a pursuit of a financial windfall- you're probably better off selling "as-is" and invest the monies "wisely". I understand there can be a lot of emotional attachment for some people- this is one of those situations where emotion has to be removed- your own emotional AND financial well being may depend on it.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
We would get nothing for the home in its present state.
It is in a good rental area and would rent quickly.
The last time you started a thread on these questions nearly everyone advised you to sell it AS IS.
To get what you could AS IS and t move on. Link to that thread HERE

You insisted and persisted that it was salvageable and could be restored
to comparable homes at a low enough cost to make the effort worth the bother/expense...
and doing it all from your home several hours away on top.

Has that assessment changed now that you're actually into the work?
Are you discovering that more substantial work is required than you appreciated previously?
Maybe something related to the foundation that's showing up with the chimney where the statement above
("that the home may have structural damage due to the chimney") is just the tip of the iceberg?
---

As regards the chimney in particular, but the house as a whole really, have you hired any
professionals (architect, engineer, etc) for an objective overall condition analysis?
Or are you relying on what contractors tell you one piece of the puzzle at a time?

Last edited by MrRational; 05-15-2017 at 05:58 AM..

Old 05-15-2017, 08:05 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,441,828 times
The people I bought my 1927 house from removed the chimney below the roof line when they re-roofed the house. The remainder of the chimney is still in the attic as well as the rest of the house; it never went to a fireplace, but serviced several "parlor" stoves in its' day. I don't think it cost a lot for them to have it taken down (they were pretty frugal, lol) and there's never been a problem with the attic remnant, even during the rare earthquake we had a few years ago.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:05 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
This was my FIL's home and neglected for the past 20 years. He passed away and now, the work begins.

We've had several quotes for a roof and selected a firm. Two of the roofing companies passed on the job stating that the home may have structural damage due to the chimney.

Personally, I would like the chimney gone.

The fireplace was never used and I wouldn't mind seeing that go either. The home was originally built in 1981 and that was a perk at the time.

The roofing company is going to re-look at the chimney situation.

**After a lot of work is done, we will either rent (leaning in that direction) or sell this home**

***Note: If someone offers us a good price, we would definitely sell. Then, we would buy something closer to where we live currently**

Sell as is to a investor. Yeah you're not getting top dollar but you're walking away and the whole thing is on their plate.
BUT
If you want top dollar start setting up a remodel plan. Get three bids from every trade you have coming in.
List everything that needs fixing. Probably everything as it's most likely a gut and redo after 20 years of neglect.

Plans
Permits
Trash Dumpster and Port-a-John
Demo
Framing
Electrical
Plumbing
HVAC
Drywall
Paint
Finish carpentry
Cabinets
Flooring
Landscaping.
Inspections

Expect to pay around 40 on the low end and 70 or more. Depends on how crazy you get and what damage you're looking at once you start opening walls

Old 05-15-2017, 09:58 PM

Smile Yes, we have gotten some quotes

Note: We cannot actually sell the home right now as it has to go through probate, however, there are code violations and we have to start fixing the home up.

As it stands now, probably $150K as is but when it is fixed up (estimate is right around $70K), it will be worth around $280K.

There is an engineering report being done also.

If we rent it out, we can get about $2200 for rent and then subtract taxes and insurance of $400 monthly.

Let's be honest, if someone offered us $275K right now, we would take it but they will not. I'm a mortgage broker and just did a loan on a home that sold for $250K - my FIL's home looks like a palace compared to that one!

Old 05-16-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
We cannot actually sell the home right now as it has to go through probate...
Who told you this? I can guarantee it wasn't an attorney who does estate work.

Quote:
...if someone offered us $275K right now, we would take it but they will not.
What about the $150,000 you just mentioned? (As it stands now, probably $150K...)

You acknowledge that at least $70,000 needs to be spent to have any hope of getting the hoped
for difference of $55,000 -as a maximum- but after the dust settles it could easily be less.

It's this point that the rest of us are focusing on: what is a maybe at $55,000 more.
If it all does show up ...it will come at a high price of time and aggravation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House