Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:37 PM

10,077 posts, read 6,375,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
We don't have natural gas available, already said that.

The existing boiler is fine for a few more years at least but the pipe system goes through the radiators before it reaches the taps so using that system for summer hot water isn't workable but the whole thing doesn't need replacing yet (and can't afford to replace it all now anyway, but it will need replacing in the next decade)
Can you buy/use outdoor propane tanks where you live? Mine is 500 gal. and it provides for hot water, cooking fuel, and a gas fireplace which is my backup heat source in the winter. It is far enough away from the house to be safe, and the tank itself is pretty impervious to rocks, bullets, etc. BTW, your current system of having the oil heating system providing hot water as well is not that uncommon around where I live. I see a lot of older homes listed with oil hot water. I wouldn't do it myself though - I love my propane hot water heater. It reheats quickly and has no parts to really wear out. It's also very economical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 07:08 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,228,247 times
I expect we can buy them. Would they take up a lot of garden room though? Or be an eyesore? Gas isn't commonly used here except for camping size appliances, and the nearest gas supply is Russia which can be not so cheap/reliable what with sanctions and all. Oil is very common in these older detached houses here, and wood fire heating. Storing the wood is a pain though, and always having to go back down to top the fire up but lovely smell.

Thanks all for the knowledge/experience/advice

Old 05-25-2017, 09:58 AM

10,077 posts, read 6,375,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I expect we can buy them. Would they take up a lot of garden room though? Or be an eyesore? Gas isn't commonly used here except for camping size appliances, and the nearest gas supply is Russia which can be not so cheap/reliable what with sanctions and all. Oil is very common in these older detached houses here, and wood fire heating. Storing the wood is a pain though, and always having to go back down to top the fire up but lovely smell.

Thanks all for the knowledge/experience/advice
If you're just heating water with propane I expect you could make it with a single 200 gal. tank, which is not that large at all. Even with 3 appliances using my 500 gal. tank I only fill it once a year. A 200 gal. is not an eyesore, imo. I plan to paint my 500 gal. tank like a giant watermelon this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House