Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:54 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times

Advertisements

I'd have the stairs ripped out, nothing up there.
Nothing to see, move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 11:58 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I'd have the stairs ripped out, nothing up there.
Nothing to see, move along.
Cue the spooky music.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:01 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Sounds like an organization problem to me. Your DVDs should be stored where they will be used, as should everything else in the house. You shouldn't need to run upstairs to grab something that is always used downstairs.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:26 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In this case, it was upstairs to get a Western for I try to store my DVDs up in the loft.

The thing is that so far, it may be days in between till I climb those stairs again....and I should for the view up there is magnificent.

Does it always work out that way, when we put a major but secondary space, such as the video library or the wine cellar, on another level that it is something we infrequently visit? Have others encountered this "The wine cellar? Why, I haven't been there for ages!"?
Ha. I don't actually like living in a place that's big enough to have areas I never use.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:11 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I would definitely put a comfortable chair up there and use that space for reading. I love to read so it would get used quite frequently.
Actually, I do have a comfy chair up there. Desk, writing laptop, library, chair.......HOWEVER......one of the concerns in the back of my mind is that wheeled chair moving back to the staircase and doing something of a Richard Widmark on me.

Old fashion unwheeled chair in that future, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Sounds like an organization problem to me. Your DVDs should be stored where they will be used, as should everything else in the house. You shouldn't need to run upstairs to grab something that is always used downstairs.
Refer back to living to cover the walls with pictures, please.

In fact, as I get into hanging my oodles and oodles of framed pictures, I am reminded of the small hallway in the apartments which was turned into a miniature gallery. I am now doing the same with the hallway in the guest section of the house and someday, because it will take some doing, I'll do the same with the stairway hallway in the loft. When these are done, they will become sanctuaries where I can relax, isolated from the world (the stairway more), looking and dreaming of distant horizons.

Where to put all my pictures when I was looking at the layout was one of my fears a few months back. In the Great Room, the north side is taken up by large windows and a door looking down in the forest (sort of like Baltar's bay view in Battlestar G.) while the south side is the main entry and the kitchen. The west side is kitchen, pantry, and doors while the east side is fireplace, TV & equipment, and two curio cabinets.

I soon realized there was a lot of wall space in the loft stairway where I could hang my huge 36X24 pictures, such as the Talbot (?) one of two dolphins jumping, a Christmas gift from a lover, ........and today I realized that could be a semi secret reading hideaway gallery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Ha. I don't actually like living in a place that's big enough to have areas I never use.
Well, that is a valid point. On the other hand, there is something to having secret refuges in one's home. It could be like the interior garden behind the secret passage in the flick "The Haunting"....if one had such cash.

When I was a child, I visited a friend's house, they say it was a grandfather's brother's, where on an upper story, there was a glassed in balcony that had been made into sort of a playroom. There were two entrances to it, a door at the top of the staircase and a hidden door at the end of a closet. They had taken me in there thru the closet door (for as a child of that time, I thought every place had secret passages).....and left me locked in there for an hour or two.

I find secret retreats like the intriguing.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-22-2017 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 06:53 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I just make a special trip to put things away.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-22-2017, 06:56 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Don't have much use for a two story home!

Old 05-23-2017, 03:18 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Two things about putting things where they are used.

First of all, there are at least two TV stations where one is in the Great Room and the other in my bedroom....which is directly under the loft. So, in a sense, the library is not that far away.

Another item to throw into it, however, is that I don't watch TV that often. I'm "lucky" if I get 30 minutes in a day during school nights. So the concept of putting things where they are used may actually be counter productive if they aren't used frequently. It would be like having the main weapons safe by the front door, to repel the Philistines, as oppose to where it is really located.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:54 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
That reminds me, I need to put in a wine cellar.
We have not opened the DVD cabinet in the better part of a year, but the wine cellar is on my list. We really do not need another room to sit or hang out in as we have two that rarely get used now, but I do want a wine area in my basement. I imagine I will go and grab a bottle at least 4-5 times a week. The plan is to put a hot tub outside on the patio, off the basement and the room might even get used more frequently.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:56 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Well, to answer the question, I'm up and down the stairs all the time. I live in a three story townhouse. The bottom level is my laundry, garage and office and storage. It's also ground level. Middle level is the kitchen,dining and living room. Top level is the bedrooms.

The thing I probably go up and down the stairs the most for is the dog (taking her on walks). Second is probably food (the patio is on the bottom level and the kitchen is in the middle so I run up and down if I'm grilling or to get stuff out of the supply shelf in the garage).
Sounds like my old house. I bought a house with four levels and I still do not run up & down stairs as much as in that townhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House