Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:59 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Sort of.

Last week, I found a Rose I could get into (and I don't usually do Rose) at $1.99/bottle (we have a liquor outlet here). If my racks were empty, I might fill them up with such. As it is, they are not and I did not.

Keep in mind that one's wine cellar does not have to look like something out of Edgar Allan Poe. It could just be like this or other under the staircase designs:

http://cdn.decoist.com/wp-content/up...p-on-space.jpg

As it is, in my "cellar", there are 88 to 124 bottles at max capacity. As stated before, it consists of two 44 bottle pine racks. They are located in two places around the Great Room, so there isn't an issue of them being visited infrequently.

I do have an under the stairs closet, of all things as in the stairs leading to the loft, that I could use as a wine cellar, something like this picture,

http://www.customwinecellarslosangel...a-1024x680.jpg

Could use but it runs into three basic problems. First of all, it might put the wine racks out of use and I'd rather have them in use than as space hogging wooden sculptures. Secondly, we've been discussing have things where they are in use and a wine cellar rather defeats that in my house. Finally, I have other uses for that closet.
The 1.99 bottles of wine in the south really blow my mind. I pay $15-$20 per bottle. My cheap wine is $11.99 a bottle. I try to buy local for wine because it supports are local wineries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:15 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
We have not opened the DVD cabinet in the better part of a year, but the wine cellar is on my list. We really do not need another room to sit or hang out in as we have two that rarely get used now, but I do want a wine area in my basement. I imagine I will go and grab a bottle at least 4-5 times a week. The plan is to put a hot tub outside on the patio, off the basement and the room might even get used more frequently.
Okay...as long as you're splitting the wine and not drinking 5 bottles yourself every week.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:22 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
I don't drink wine in the basement, but it's perfect for a wine cellar, very little fluctuation in temperature, humidity, light.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:44 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
The 1.99 bottles of wine in the south really blow my mind. I pay $15-$20 per bottle. My cheap wine is $11.99 a bottle. I try to buy local for wine because it supports are local wineries.
Ummmmm, that's one of the things that living down here that one doesn't have a feel for what others go through. Another was when someone up north here on CD was gasping that I could buy brisket at $1.97/lb. Hence, I have a chest freezer out in the garage......and a horsewoman friend out on the coastal plains probably has 2 or 3. She advised me to get the biggest freezers I could get.

The freezer is an example of an inaccessible space. It's on the far side of the garage where the F-250 fits like a glove. Once or twice a day, I go out to the garage, open the door to the pickup, crawl over the front seats, open the shotgun door, drop myself down to the floor, get what I want out of the freezer, and backtrack my path. This is easier than prepping the garage, such as finding all the cats to make sure they don't escape when the bay door is open, to back the pickup out.

Could it have been done better? In hindsight, of course, but the placement of the freezer was done with standard thinking (not uncommon to have a chest freezer in the garage) before the complexities of the well were "understood".....and changing plans does get expensive. Further, this is all easily solved by moving the truck to the barn.......when that gets built.....a few years down the line.

Back to this conceptual wine cellar with does have a certain drawback down here in the south. To put in a cellar or a basement, one has to use dynamite to get through the limestone ..... or build the cellar on top, build the house on top of that, bring in lots of dirty to bury the cellar, etc...

Sort of all sounds like what Xander said, "Vampires and now werewolfs? No wonder buying a house here in Sunnydale is so affordable!". ............... not that this is a cheap house, mind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House