Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Read OP post again!
Not only is it bigger, but the surface finish is changing.
I read it, and I understood that. So what? Unless it's b*tt fugly I would find some sort of design scheme to incorporate two finishes. But that's just me -- I hate getting rid of something that's not broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 7,254 times
Default what did you end up doing with your patio?

Hi -- We have a patio problem similar to yours -- old aggregate with moss, deteriorating expansion boards, etc. -- & want to cover it with stamped, colored concrete. Curious about what you ended up doing with your situation? Thanks for any info!

paulinemc@aol.com

Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
I vote for breaking out the old and putting in a proper base. Can't imagine doing it the other way without having problems down the road.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 PM

759 posts, read 3,689,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I vote for breaking out the old and putting in a proper base. Can't imagine doing it the other way without having problems down the road.
And that is what we did!! It's been about a year and we are loving our new patio! We demo'd the old one and had a new one poured, stamped, and stained .

Old 04-16-2009, 10:22 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I have seen this done and they used the concrete with fiberglass because of the thin layover and expended the edge and had a trench with it having rebar. Basiclly what I saw was they drilled into teh edges and glued rebar with a expoy then attached reber in the trench wired to it and basically poured. I see this slab quite often since it was done about ten years ago and it looks fine.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:46 AM

200 posts, read 1,067,019 times
umm theres also this high strength concrete mix. I made one batch of stepping stones with that blend and I cant even crack it with a 5 pound hammer

Old 04-17-2009, 07:17 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,227 times
I would demo - start over. The contractors who told you covering the siding would be ok - should be omitted from the process. Try to choose the contractor who is offering the best quality work. Not only have you said you want to "do it right", you said you want to live in this house for a long time - so don't try to save a few bucks. Quality always pays!
Best wishes.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 7,653 times
pouring over exsisting concrete is fine if it dont have any cracks in it. If it does i would put sand on it first. and also put rebar in it.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:21 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete4u View Post
Contact Michael at huntsvilleconcrete.com
Now what on earth makes you think that this person who lives in San Antonio, Texas is going to hire you from Huntsville Alabama to pour a patio?

And if you read the damn post you would have seen that the OP was over a year ago and she just returned to say she just completed the new patio.

Not to mention you are adverising which is against the rules and that makes you a SPAMMER !!!!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 03:42 AM

7 posts, read 21,215 times
Default Velocity Construction

We are located in Tampa, Fl. 625 S.F. would cost $2650 if it was a non-permitted slab. To remove the concrete would be an additional charge of $500. I have a third alternative that is not mentioned in the other posts- I use motorized georgia buggies to not only bring the concrete from the street to the work, but also to remove the dirt/grass as well as the concrete to the street to be taken away. If it looks wet or some damage might occur to the lawn, we lay down plywood like a road. We have been using this method successfully in deed restricted neighborhoods for 10 years. It actually is a commercial tool, often used to pour parking garage ground slabs for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House