Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 03:25 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

One HavaHart trap with a slice of apple in it will put the question to rest if it is a woodchuck. Groundhogs love apples - of course squirrels do to. Borrow or buy one of the traps (I found this one link for a different brand than HavaHart): https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...2?cm_vc=-10005 and you get two traps for only $30.

Groundhogs tend to feed early in the morning or in late afternoon. So some people might think they are nocturnal; if they are not out at the same time of day. Different trap baits catch different animals. Peanut butter will catch skunks and raccoons at night. Of course, if you don't want to catch a skunk; you set the trap only as the sun in coming up and only with apple slices. I usually just quarter a apple and toss one slice all the way in the trap, past the trap release plate, and then leave the other slices on the edge of the trap and outside the trap.

Rats will also make holes in the ground (not as large as woodchucks), are brown, and they are nocturnal and also love peanut butter.

It sounds as if the OP is more curious about what they have than removing the animal? If you do want to remove it; check with your state and local laws. Many states do not want home owners to relocate these small animals.

Also, one word of caution if you do try to trap; woodchucks do have wicked teeth and are not afraid to use them if cornered. If you catch one an want to release it; just make sure they have a 'safe' path away from you and you will be fine. All they will want to do is escape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 04:52 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Oh have no doubt ...... it's going to be removed alright -- permanently.

The neighborhood had opossums, but I haven't seen one since the skunks came in. Maybe when skunks move in, opossums and raccoons move out. I don't know. Maybe they're still around and I just haven't seen one. I'm not usually out at night. Well, I'm not out, looking around the property to see what critters are out and what eyes I see shining back at me from the dark.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:31 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Check the laws in your area. Many states have laws that prohibit people catching and relocating animals. Only licensed varmint catchers are allowed to do so under certain regulations.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:40 AM

I do appreciate your post. Of course I will....if I even actually ever do anything about it. I'm never in the yard so it's not really a pressing issue.
But you do know millions of people across the country likely kill bothersome animals every day, right?

I'm sure everyone in Montana or Idaho or Wyoming -- or Florida or California or NY -- or anywhere in this vast land of ours is not calling someone to trap a given varmint the comes near their door. People take care of things like this in their own way all the time.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:51 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Exclamation You don't want a new family getting started under the shed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My neighbor told me sometime ago he think I have skunks under my shed. OK. I know we have seen some them on the block, coming out of sewer, on lawns AT NIGHT, etc. And I do see a hole dug under one side of the structure.

I got a very quick glimpse of a brown animal scooting under my fence today. Just a few minutes ago... say at 6p ET. Clearly in daylight.

From all my reading skunks are nocturnal, and hate light. And they clearly have the white stripes.

What I saw was definitely brown, with a fury-ish tail. And moved like a bat out of hell under the fence and into/under some of the neighbors huge flowering shrubs.

I've seen in person and/or in photos: opossums, raccoons, woodchucks (groundhogs), badgers, beavers, even honey badgers. What I saw today actually looked nothing like any of those in photos. And it didn't seem to be a muskrat, mole or a vole. (and it clearly wasn't a rabbit or chipmunk)

Granted I got only the quickest glimpse, but I did see it's entire body, not a good look at the face...not enough to swear it is or isn't a specific animal.

Is there some other animal it COULD be...or it could indeed be a brown skunk with no white stripes?

Thanks.

Get some moth-balls and toss them under the shed where it enters. It will odor enough that he/she will leave. You don’t want it to be a “she†and find out that you have a few babies living under there as well.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:02 AM

^^ Yes. I've read about that. OLDER moth balls supposedly had a carcinogen in them. And, supposedly, today's moths balls don't have that. I've read all kinds of sites about deterring them:
-- moth balls
-- ammonia on rags
-- store bought repellents, etc....
-- LIGHTING the area
-- electric boards you can by with reflective or lit up "eyes" that flicker (so the animal is afraid another animal is there)

The internet is full of ideas.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:17 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Put some flour outside the entrance point and you can identify by tracks. I did this with a skunk once.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:17 AM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
relocating may not be good for the animal. If you're thinking of that route, might better just shoot it so it'll die quickly.

Wildlife Relocation: Not a Solution — Audubon Society of Portland

Old 06-08-2017, 10:34 AM

112 posts, read 133,133 times
My friend had a fox under her shed for awhile.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:48 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
It could be feral kittens. Have you seen a mama cat around? Normally a mama cat won't leave her babies unsupervised for long.

Put out some canned cat food in a bowl next to the shed. Sit quietly at a distance. Whatever is under there will likely come out to feed. Then you'll know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House