Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 08:02 PM

5 posts, read 23,398 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Earlier this week I was installing a security light on a church and accidentally drilled through what might be cement asbestos sheeting or board. Next day I had a sample tested and it returned as chrysotile asbestos. I wasn't wearing a respirator because I thought it was just concrete and plywood that was on the interior. The whole job took about an hour but I'm afraid of the amount I inhaled during that time. When I got home I noticed I had some gritty stuff in my mucus cause I could feel it in my teeth. After doing extensive research on google I'm finding out that any amount of asbestos is bad for your health. I'm really concerned because I have a 4 year old, 16 yr old and wife that could inhale the stuff because I was not wearing any protective clothing either and as soon as I got home I took all my clothes off while my wife held a trash bag open and she tied it up and sprayed me off with the hose. I read that it's fatal while I also called osha and they told me it's only from prolonged exposure. Would the amount I could have possibly inhaled count as the same as prolonged exposure? I'm just really worried I might have killed myself on this project and exposed my family to health problems in the future. I'm open for comments and suggestions on what to do.

Thanks,

Johnnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 08:16 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milspecs View Post
Hello everyone,

Earlier this week I was installing a security light on a church and accidentally drilled through what might be cement asbestos sheeting or board. Next day I had a sample tested and it returned as chrysotile asbestos. I wasn't wearing a respirator because I thought it was just concrete and plywood that was on the interior. The whole job took about an hour but I'm afraid of the amount I inhaled during that time. When I got home I noticed I had some gritty stuff in my mucus cause I could feel it in my teeth. After doing extensive research on google I'm finding out that any amount of asbestos is bad for your health. I'm really concerned because I have a 4 year old, 16 yr old and wife that could inhale the stuff because I was not wearing any protective clothing either and as soon as I got home I took all my clothes off while my wife held a trash bag open and she tied it up and sprayed me off with the hose. I read that it's fatal while I also called osha and they told me it's only from prolonged exposure. Would the amount I could have possibly inhaled count as the same as prolonged exposure? I'm just really worried I might have killed myself on this project and I'm open for comments and suggestions on what to do.

Thanks,

Johnnie
In generzl we all survive minor exposure to asbestos. Around here we have hills of it through which we are prensently driving a superhighway. The prevention is keep it wet and monitor. The amount in a single exposure is very unlikely to be important. Do it every day for a few years and it may turn into problem.

Some years ago I was the Executive in charge of a 300,000 SF building in CA. It was a relatively modern buillding but it had some asbestos insulation. We went through a set of programs to seal all the asblestons up. But periodically we would find it in the dust on the top of door jams and such.

Went through a big deal analysis and found out we were not far off the outside envoriment. If you lived in the LA basin there is asbestos around either natural or man made. But it did not appear to be at levels that threatened a human.

The stuff is tricky. Again the lottery. If the Gods are on your case and you get a tiny exposure you develop cancer and die. But that happens about as often as you dying of a lightning strike.

So oo on about life. And next time if in doubt wet it down. That virtually removes all risk at least to you.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,552 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I pulled up a full floor of 12" tiles that contained it in the 60s as a kid, later sawed through some in the early 70s. I'm still here to tell the tale at 64. While I'm no doctor or scientist, what I have read is that constant exposure through working with it every day on the job is what got people badly sick.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:33 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,294,975 times
Unless you were snorting the stuff as you were drilling, and did that every day for a long period of time, you are likely going to be just fine.

You are exposed to lots of asbestos in your every day life along the highways (brake dust and clutch dust).

Unless you were covered in dust, and had a cloud around you as you walked, there likely isn't enough asbestos on your clothes to cause your family harm.

The health risks from asbestos are not from one time exposure of limited amounts.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:12 AM

5 posts, read 23,398 times
Thanks everyone for your responses! I was definetly not snorting it but wasn't using my head either since I should have been using a face mask regardless of the material being drilled. I'm just really nervous about the consequences if do come down with something later on down the road. I've read some pretty scary stories out there and just wasn't for sure how much exposure they all had in their past as I did with my episode the other day.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:30 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
I believe older sheet rock contained some asbestos and I've sawed through it and filled the front of the house with the dust. The kids were around but I tried to keep them away from it I just tried not to breathe it. Think I turned on fans to blow it away outdoors. That was probably 30 years ago. My dog has chewed sheet rock I've repaired since. Don't use Talcum powder on babies or anyone. No baby powder most contain talc. Use a corn starch that doesn't contain talc. From what I've read talc = asbestos basically. Just limit your exposures from here out. We're all subjected to exposures like this all our lives just have to be vigilant. I think most asbestos cancer and other diseases related are from the military service such as aboard ships where asbestos piping and insulation were widely used. This was likely very pure and high percentage asbestos materials.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:04 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Advice?
Don't take up smoking.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:41 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,329,532 times
People that get mesothelioma generally do so due to long time exposure. One time exposure is mostly seen as very low risk. However, https://www.mesotheliomatreatmentcen...asbestos-dust/

Quote:
The general consensus is that you are not at risk of mesothelioma from a single, one time exposure. However, the recommendation is to inform your physician of this situation regardless, so that he or she is aware of a potential problem.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:26 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milspecs View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses! I was definetly not snorting it but wasn't using my head either since I should have been using a face mask regardless of the material being drilled. I'm just really nervous about the consequences if do come down with something later on down the road. I've read some pretty scary stories out there and just wasn't for sure how much exposure they all had in their past as I did with my episode the other day.
Dude. You are way over dramatizing this. You've been watching those ambulance-chaser TV commercials.
Like anything else in life, moderation is key.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:46 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Don't buy any large economy size boxes of anything ! Just kidding. You are fine. In the 50's, as a kid, I would run through our basement and hit the heating ducts and watch the dust come out . I have also done a bunch of brake jobs and blew the brake dust all over the place, not knowing the dangers.

As everyone said, prolonged exposure is the key. You have no worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House