Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 12:07 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What an odd question LOL! I love pergolas! They can turn a blank space into a lovely outdoor living area.
I don't have one, but I might, one day.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/pergola...t_724~a_41-296

yes, I agree with you, I like them myself.

I don't think something outside has to "do something" or "be functional", sometimes you just want something because it, simply, just looks nice.

and, like you, I love pergolas also.

they are pretty, and you can have the vines, or anything else you can come up with attached to, or run thru it, there are so many things one can do, all you need is imagination.....

if i had a yard, I would absolutely have one made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 02:27 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Loved our 10 x 10 pergola for 20 years, then found out a structural problem in the deck it stood on and took it down. Loved it because it would cast a great afternoon shadow on the other half of the 28 wide deck. What I really liked about it is in our climate it doesn’t stack up snow in the winter, doesn’t need to be shoveled. Let’s the wind blow through and casts shade. Hangs lights and porch swings. Hangs planters. What’s not to like?

Old 05-15-2022, 05:20 PM

50,332 posts, read 63,906,560 times
A roof over an outside seating/dining area, that doesn’t keep the rain or snow off you...
Yup, that makes perfect sense.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:59 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,000,575 times
Lets see. The house we just sold had one. It was like crack for carpenter bees. I had a heck of a time keeping them away. They would come back ever summer. Before we sold, I finally got rid of most of them and fixed the holes. WD40 does wonders.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I have had several pergolas built over the years and I've loved every one of them!

I typically had one built around a hot tub so that I could draw curtains when inside the hot tub. I wanted to see the stars, I just didn't want my neighbors to see me looking at the stars! So they were all really cool.

The last one I had built I had built out of metal that looks like wood, and I had the posts sunk into the ground below the concrete and rebar I had put down to hold the hot tub and it was my favorite.

Never had any issue at all with any of them. I also strung up lights on them and those looked nice too. I loved the way they looked with the curtains and lights hanging from them. Sorry that in the second photo you can only see a small portion of the pergola but the pool was the main attraction.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the point of a pergola?-pergola-2.jpg   What's the point of a pergola?-pool-morning-may-2020.jpg  

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 05-25-2022 at 06:25 AM..

Old 05-27-2022, 11:48 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A roof over an outside seating/dining area, that doesn’t keep the rain or snow off you...
Yup, that makes perfect sense.
A pergola is not designed to keep rain or snow off you. Not sure why you think it should.

Old 05-29-2022, 02:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
A pergola is not designed to keep rain or snow off you. Not sure why you think it should.
Also, it just doesn't rain all that often here. I mean, it may storm but it moves through quickly. And we have no snow so there's that. (Well, hardly any.) I loved my pergolas and wish I had one right this minute but I don't.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:36 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They only provide partial shade. They don't keep you dry. I suppose it would be ok if there were enough vines growing on it.

Do you have one? Do you like it?

Partial shade is all that is really needed IMO & breezy air circulates on top…BUT you can have a retractable roof or sun louvre pergola which is super nice for a little more coverage if you want AND a contemporary & chic style. AND a lot of them are used at night anyway…with pretty lighting.

edit: It adds a lot to an open flow of indoor & outdoor entertaining space.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 05-31-2022 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House