Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 11:16 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I'm with you. As I posted elsewhere, why don't people at least TRY to talk to noisy neighbors before they resort to other measures. A guy on another thread had a ceiling thumper for the noisemaker above him. I mean, honestly, when did we stop handling our own problems? or at least start at the lowest level....
Here's the thing..what some have experienced, is a type that becomes resentful and retaliatory, if asked to make some sort of adjustment. I have told of such occurrences elsewhere here prior, and have seen others' posts mentioning the same thing. We never know whom we might be dealing with. One person may say "Oh, I didn't know it was that loud..." and continue being aware of their actions, but others seem to be entirely inconsiderate. One might react respectully while speaking to them, but a bit later will return to the same disruption, some becoming even louder in retaliation. It's really childish and managers can't know what type they are renting to. I have unfortunately had to experience in my later years. It's a people problem.

In my current case, the neighbor having been spoken to, been given a letter, police visiting, manager speaking to him - has not helped, mostly due to a lack of understanding of and action taken by management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 06:01 AM

9,434 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Here's the thing..what some have experienced, is a type that becomes resentful and retaliatory, if asked to make some sort of adjustment. I have told of such occurrences elsewhere here prior, and have seen others' posts mentioning the same thing. We never know whom we might be dealing with. One person may say "Oh, I didn't know it was that loud..." and continue being aware of their actions, but others seem to be entirely inconsiderate. One might react respectully while speaking to them, but a bit later will return to the same disruption, some becoming even louder in retaliation. It's really childish and managers can't know what type they are renting to. I have unfortunately had to experience in my later years. It's a people problem.

In my current case, the neighbor having been spoken to, been given a letter, police visiting, manager speaking to him - has not helped, mostly due to a lack of understanding of and action taken by management.
Well, yea, I know that.....but talking personally to the offender first certainly seems the lowest level at which to start. If you know the person is a psycho who is going to poison your dog, then yea, don't. But starting out with calling the police or the HOA or whatever, is just, IMO, unnecessary escalation when a conversation might do it.
We appear to have forgotten how to communicate with people. And I have had similar experiences, BTW.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Well, yea, I know that.....but talking personally to the offender first certainly seems the lowest level at which to start. If you know the person is a psycho who is going to poison your dog, then yea, don't. But starting out with calling the police or the HOA or whatever, is just, IMO, unnecessary escalation when a conversation might do it.
We appear to have forgotten how to communicate with people. And I have had similar experiences, BTW.
No, in this case, that ship has sailed, having tried everything. Of course, one might think, "Oh, I'll just go talk to them". In some instances, as seen suggested, one will say "Oh, just take them baked goods and chat..." which may work 1% of the time, with a type that is new to housing possibly, possessing consideration as well. People vary, which is why there are conflicts.

This guy above is a sicko...and he's no kid, likely Sociopathic, Narcissistic. He will lie to your face, feign concern to the manager, then continue his annoying behavior, being self-involved. It occurred to me that he may be doing something I looked into, to make my ceiling rumble, finding a video of such:

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v...ature=youtu.be

OR:
https://youtu.be/fxmLD8y0RNQ

Old 05-28-2022, 06:21 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I just moved to a community know as an older community, where most of the kids have grown up and moved on. Now,mind you I'm coming from real country, where crickets are the loudest thing going most of the time.

For the first four months it was good, then the neighbors daughter and grandchildren moved in. By by peace and quiet, hello screaming kids.

It's tough being in a situation like the OP described, but I would be calling the police constantly until the neighbors got the message.

That happened to me too. Lovely quiet neighbors. Then the adult son moved in. The first warm day he was out blasting the music in his truck. I gave him 10 minutes then went out and asked him to turn it down. He did, but pouted for an entire year, getting revenge by pulling into the driveway in the wee hours of the morning with the radio blasting, digging big ruts on my side of the yard with his truck tires, loud phone conversations outside with plenty of F bombs, etc. Then his girlfriend moved in. Fast forward to the next first warm day after winter, now he and his girlfriend out there both trucks blasting music. No way was I going to tolerate that all summer. I went out and asked them to turn it down. They smirked, turned it off until I went into the house, then turned it back on and UP.

I called the police. Police were there in less than 10 minutes. We DO have noise ordinances but the officer told me I'd probably have to take them to court if the noise didn't stop. He said this in front of the snotty adult kids, and the mother, who was mad at ME, not them, for calling the cops instead of "talking to her" lol. I said, to the police, and to her, and to the snots: Thank you, I guess I will be doing that then, if necessary. And I stared at the snots.

Brats moved out two months later, thankfully, so I didn't have to continue the battle. This little interlude helped greatly with my battle with the 14-hours-a-day yapping dog guy I'd been fighting with for close to a year. Apparently when he heard I'd called the cops on the neighbors he got worried I'd do the same to him (I would, or the equivalent) so he's really been making an effort to control the barking. Peace finally reigns in our neighborhood.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
That happened to me too. Lovely quiet neighbors. Then the adult son moved in. The first warm day he was out blasting the music in his truck. I gave him 10 minutes then went out and asked him to turn it down. He did, but pouted for an entire year, getting revenge by pulling into the driveway in the wee hours of the morning with the radio blasting, digging big ruts on my side of the yard with his truck tires, loud phone conversations outside with plenty of F bombs, etc. Then his girlfriend moved in. Fast forward to the next first warm day after winter, now he and his girlfriend out there both trucks blasting music. No way was I going to tolerate that all summer. I went out and asked them to turn it down. They smirked, turned it off until I went into the house, then turned it back on and UP.

I called the police. Police were there in less than 10 minutes. We DO have noise ordinances but the officer told me I'd probably have to take them to court if the noise didn't stop. He said this in front of the snotty adult kids, and the mother, who was mad at ME, not them, for calling the cops instead of "talking to her" lol. I said, to the police, and to her, and to the snots: Thank you, I guess I will be doing that then, if necessary. And I stared at the snots.

Brats moved out two months later, thankfully, so I didn't have to continue the battle. This little interlude helped greatly with my battle with the 14-hours-a-day yapping dog guy I'd been fighting with for close to a year. Apparently when he heard I'd called the cops on the neighbors he got worried I'd do the same to him (I would, or the equivalent) so he's really been making an effort to control the barking. Peace finally reigns in our neighborhood.
Sheesh…as I say, it is a certain personality. What triggers a person to make it worse, to retaliate after being asked to stop imposing their interfering racket upon another? Some must develop feeling insulted and angry at having another ask them to not do something intrusive. It’s surprising to see adults act so childishly and once being adults, will not adapt.

It makes me think of something witnessed recently, when shopping in a store with lots of home decor. There was a small child who kept running through aisles, crossing back and forth where others were, yelling, while his mother and others with her ignored this. I was aware and exchanged looks with another shopper being appalled at this - her speaking up saying to the child “you should stop running, you could hurt yourself or othersâ€, (besides knocking over or breaking something).

The mother heard this, became offended, and began fighting back defending her child. There were words between them, raised voices, verbal attacks. Afterward, I caught up with the other shopper and told her how I agreed and that it’s too bad there are those who behave this way. She is an educator and around kids, was trying to help. But you see how a negative type affects others, the mother clearly not being considerate, that kid likely becoming the type discussed.

I suppose this will never end, some of us having to be directly affected by those becoming thoughtless, disruptive adults, intruding on our living space, or those speedily racing past others in traffic for example, the type who only thinks of themselves, possibly causing harm. They will think “How DARE someone asks them to not do somethingâ€. This all begins by how one is raised (which is a beef of mine) and is what contributes to more serious issues, besides. ((sigh))

Last edited by In2itive_1; 06-12-2022 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: More, adjustments.

Old 06-12-2022, 05:14 PM

1,854 posts, read 793,265 times
Still dealing with these loud mean humans, previous 3 different neighbors were no problem like these new ones wow;

"Treat your neighbor how you would want to be treated";

Old 06-13-2022, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shhon View Post
Still dealing with these loud mean humans, previous 3 different neighbors were no problem like these new ones wow;

"Treat your neighbor how you would want to be treated";
Hah..yeah, some will not consider that. I feel your pain.

Yes, that's why I resist the idea posed by some, that it is just "about construction", to be able to hear racket. I have also had those whom were obviously respectful in that same unit, their being conscious of their actions and others. Then one gets hit by this type who comes barreling in, not considering the hour, etc.

When will it end?

I have thought that rules and laws need adjusting in order to not allow this type to get away with what they do. Maybe some owners and management handle things more effectively, but it should be that there are warnings, a notice and they are out. It should be established everywhere that ongoing, excessive and unnecessary disruption would not be tolerated.

If it were known for there to be serious consequences, then maybe these idiots would think twice about their behavior while renting. It seems there would be less trouble for owners, managers, responsible tenants and law enforcement if having more control, initially. Though it seems to be more the concern of property owners to be paid and not lose it in turnover, not caring about a tenant's suffering.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:52 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Noise-cancelling headphones.

Perhaps they are newly in your country and do not yet understand your culture. A courteous, direct approach might help them understand, but go with a companion.

Put "Quiet" signs on your back fence. Subtle hints like that.
Do noise-cancelling headphones really work? Has anyone actually had success with them? What exactly do they do?

For us, the worse time of year is July. Personal FIREWORKS from drinking neighbors drive us and the pets crazy. The police do nothing.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:52 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Do noise-cancelling headphones really work? Has anyone actually had success with them? What exactly do they do?

For us, the worse time of year is July. Personal FIREWORKS from drinking neighbors drive us and the pets crazy. The police do nothing.

Sort of. The better ones. But they are incredibly uncomfortable. Who wants to be wearing something like that in their house or yard all the time? Besides, I want to be able to hear: birds, pets, a knock on the door, normal sounds.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:47 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

I have a friend who has them and she says they work great. She's used them with annoying coworkers lol. But they are big. And I'm with catsmom, I want to hear nature.

Except fireworks, I am with you on that! They've gotten completely out of control!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House