Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 03:35 AM

248 posts, read 193,031 times

Advertisements

The police do not give a rodent's behind and do not even bother coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 01:44 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,387,296 times
Get a new pet cockatoo.

You will never be able to hear your neighbors being loud ever again.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:27 PM

6,462 posts, read 4,862,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Get a new pet cockatoo.

You will never be able to hear your neighbors being loud ever again.
Haha that may not be a good idea with a young ex-tomcat in the house! I'd surely be deaf between the two of them.

And to whoever left me the note (I would have messaged you if you left your name), Adrenal fatigue can be high OR low cortisol. Just means your adrenals aren't working properly. I looked it up in a few different sources.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:56 PM

Thanks but no thanks...AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! The cops would respond to such even if it is legal. I once had a Cockatiel that like to sound like a smoke detector-I will stay w/ the wild birds.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:59 PM

I did not leave a note about renal fatigue altho it can be a hellacious thing to deal with if you are unaware of such.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:17 PM

22,577 posts, read 24,379,858 times
Sorry for your situation.....but it is very common.

The fact is, people, even living closely to others, do not want to temper their behaviour......even if it is very bothesome.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:05 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,636,943 times
I've got to bring this up, since there has been an ongoing issue with the upstairs unit since management had decided to not have carpeting in the dining room, due to tenants creating spills. So, this is lovely for me, since it has caused there to be ongoing noise by some tenants, ever since they decided this.

My current, young neighbor is not bad and I don't care about anything else -- but there is a perpetual problem with or around her dining table constantly hearing big BANGS, slams...when getting up or down..? something slamming against the wall? I don't know. There have been some who seem to LIVE at their dining tables..I guess it is their desk, etc. and was the same. Also, is the walk-thru area of the apartment, between the Livingroom and the Bedroom, so I cannot escape it wherever I am.

A few nights ago, I had been in bed when the neighbor had come home and woke me up, having been making the typical BANG sounds every so often with her table, between 1:30 and 3:30 a.m. So, I got out of bed.. and waited. It's like this whenever she is home, though. I have spoken to her in the past on two occasions and seems decent, acts oblivious to what is happening, but had placed those little pads under the legs.

I have spoken to the manager who doesn't seem to care, since this has come up prior and apparently just thinks it's an overreaction. (Sure, she doesn't have to endure it). I feel it is also the fault of the management Co. to not carpet that area. Besides this, what, are most people so clumsy and don't clean up? (I had several neighbors prior who were not bothersome, and only since it has been uncarpeted has been an issue). So, the neighbor is apparently of no help. The manager is of no help. Ask me if I am happy. The frustration is how the manager does not get it and as said, the possible personality of a tenant. (I would no more make that sort of noise, I am conscious of everything, considerate of others and would live upstairs if I were able). Neighbor noise is what began altering my schedule, a while back. Once again - I am unable to move wherever I would like and want it to be a proper situation, not "from the frying pan into the fire".

I just don't understand how something so simple cannot be modified and that a tenant's discomfort is not considered? It's that whole "daily living noise" thing being allowable, yet SOME of that can be over the top, if you ask me and comes down to one's perception of disturbance. (The last neighbors were awful). I have fantasized how, if I leave and they rent this for more $$, the same problem will exist and that the manager will go through it with others, finally having to carpet that floor, or perish the thought, address the noisemakers.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 06-27-2017 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: Adjustment

Old 06-29-2017, 01:47 PM

22,901 posts, read 18,183,801 times
IMHO, the OP has shared a very long list of annoyances with neighbors. As others have suggested, pick your battles as you'll never get all these things resolved in your favor unless you decide to live in the boonies on your own acreage. People all have such different tolerance levels I don't think there's any way to make everyone happy all the time. One thing I don't think was suggested is to talk to the noisy neighbors (through a translator if you can....it does show you are attempting to be respectful) and tell them HOW or WHEN the noise is most bothersome instead of being vague. If it bothers you most when you are trying to work, explain that. Help them accommodate you instead of tell them they annoy you all the time. It might help to give them some idea when their party wouldn't bother as much. It might not work, but it is worth a try. Compromise until you can't compromise any longer.

Here's an odd one and how the complaining neighbor ended up being the problem:

My mother was increasingly disabled as she got older, so my parents ended up needing an electric wheelchair-accessible van. The van had a lifted roof so it wouldn't fit through the garage door. They had to park it on the street in front of the house. My dad checked the covenants about car parking on the street long term and got a waiver through the HOA before buying the van. It was kept clean, moved when required, immediate neighbors notified ahead of time, everything he could do. After a couple of years he got a letter from some legal firm with a formal complaint about the van...and how viewing it on the street was a nuisance, interfered with the local view, and how it reduced property value. He was stunned, but he responded politely to the letter with the HOA's previous approval and a request for to meet with the neighbor to talk about it. The only response was another letter from the attorney, leaving the neighbor anonymous. This went on for months and was never resolved. The legal firm never actually took any action (because they couldn't), but it kept sending the letters. My parents asked the immediate neighbors if they knew who might be complaining with no luck. All this made them feel so unwelcome and vulnerable. Finally, one more letter arrived shortly after my mother passed away. My dad sent them a copy of the death certificate, an invitation to the funeral, with a short tense note "hoping" they were finally satisfied. If not, they had every right to be ashamed.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,636,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Here's an odd one and how the complaining neighbor ended up being the problem:

My mother was increasingly disabled as she got older, so my parents ended up needing an electric wheelchair-accessible van. The van had a lifted roof so it wouldn't fit through the garage door. They had to park it on the street in front of the house. My dad checked the covenants about car parking on the street long term and got a waiver through the HOA before buying the van. It was kept clean, moved when required, immediate neighbors notified ahead of time, everything he could do. After a couple of years he got a letter from some legal firm with a formal complaint about the van...and how viewing it on the street was a nuisance, interfered with the local view, and how it reduced property value. He was stunned, but he responded politely to the letter with the HOA's previous approval and a request for to meet with the neighbor to talk about it. The only response was another letter from the attorney, leaving the neighbor anonymous. This went on for months and was never resolved. The legal firm never actually took any action (because they couldn't), but it kept sending the letters. My parents asked the immediate neighbors if they knew who might be complaining with no luck. All this made them feel so unwelcome and vulnerable. Finally, one more letter arrived shortly after my mother passed away. My dad sent them a copy of the death certificate, an invitation to the funeral, with a short tense note "hoping" they were finally satisfied. If not, they had every right to be ashamed.
As you say, it varies as to what might bother people. That should not have been seen as a nuisance and would not be by most, I would imagine. Also, having had a waiver should have been left at that and others should have known that it was a necessity. I cannot believe some people.

As I say, it comes down to mental issues, personality types. If everyone could just thoughtful and respectful in the same way, that would solve a lot of problems. I can see someone wanting to get some work done early on, using tools and such for instance.. but after a certain hour, it should be understood what it is unacceptable. I had a neighbor refinishing their table upstairs for hours, until 12:45 a.m., not even apologizing for the racket, another continually assembling items and having an exercise machine over my living room.

Yep. Consideration is something only some possess.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:17 AM

6,462 posts, read 4,862,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
IMHO, the OP has shared a very long list of annoyances with neighbors. As others have suggested, pick your battles as you'll never get all these things resolved in your favor unless you decide to live in the boonies on your own acreage. People all have such different tolerance levels I don't think there's any way to make everyone happy all the time. One thing I don't think was suggested is to talk to the noisy neighbors (through a translator if you can....it does show you are attempting to be respectful) and tell them HOW or WHEN the noise is most bothersome instead of being vague. If it bothers you most when you are trying to work, explain that. Help them accommodate you instead of tell them they annoy you all the time. It might help to give them some idea when their party wouldn't bother as much. It might not work, but it is worth a try. Compromise until you can't compromise any longer..
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
As you say, it varies as to what might bother people. That should not have been seen as a nuisance and would not be by most, I would imagine. Also, having had a waiver should have been left at that and others should have known that it was a necessity. I cannot believe some people.

As I say, it comes down to mental issues, personality types. If everyone could just thoughtful and respectful in the same way, that would solve a lot of problems. I can see someone wanting to get some work done early on, using tools and such for instance.. but after a certain hour, it should be understood what it is unacceptable. I had a neighbor refinishing their table upstairs for hours, until 12:45 a.m., not even apologizing for the racket, another continually assembling items and having an exercise machine over my living room.

Yep. Consideration is something only some possess.
Allison - sorry about your mom.

In2itive has it right.

I've talked to previous neighbors over the years:
People who lived above me in a 3 family, though it was to ask them if *I* was playing my stereo too loud
Neighbor behind me years ago who had a howling dog when she left the house (literally all day until she came back)
Guy next to me whose dog was tied an a rope long enough so he could cross my driveway and sit in my front yard

First two went well. Last one escalated badly and we nearly ended up in court over a boundary dispute that he initiated. This was in the late 1990s and they didn't move out until 2004. So I had 5-6 years of absolute hell living next to him. From subtle things like him washing his car and spraying over the fence onto mine. Putting speakers in his window facing my house at full volume. Outright verbal threats. He bought and sold cars every few months, yet turned us in when we bought a car at the beginning of a holiday weekend because it wasn't registered. He tried to turn me into animal control for roaming cats - except he wasn't wearing his glasses and it was a raccoon he saw and his wife talked him out of it (my cats are indoor only anyway). I was fielding calls from the town every week it seemed. It got so bad that some of the other neighbors wouldn't talk to either of us about it.

So no, I am not going to talk to someone. I completely understand your point (and someone above you) about anything else being passive-aggressive but it's absolutely not worth what could happen.

And trust me, acreage in the boonies is in my future. Lots of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House