Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:04 PM

53 posts, read 36,730 times

Advertisements

Pics of backsplash

If you cant click the link to see the album, i can post the pics here. But even the backsplash, it just doesnt appear professional to me. Maybe Im too critical about some of it but if I spent this sort of money, Id expect it to look near perfect. Maybe Im wrong and asking too much.

With shower/tub/vanity/toilet, this cost almost $13k. That kind of money, there sure wasn't a ton of man hours involved. The first week I think they put in a ton of work to gut it and put in the toilet/shower, after that, besides the painter, it was just an hour here and there.

Last edited by CJ11x; 06-16-2017 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 04:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ11x View Post
Good recommendation.

I have tried this and its worked sometimes. Other times, things just drop off the map after he was made aware of them.

For two weeks now, Ive been waiting for the vanity light to be installed. Hole needs cut in the drywall/light needs to be installed. The outlets/switches need drywall cut away also so I can mount the covers. This will probably take someone a half hour to do, maybe an hour. I just dont understand how they cant get someone out here while we're waiting to get the counter top fixed and sink hooked up.

Ive contacted the owner and for the first time since the project started, someone called me yesterday to give me the schedule for the day (it wasnt the project manager). I was pleasantly shocked and figured FINALLY, it mustve taken the owner to set a fire under some one. But even that turned out to be a screw up because the guy never showed to fix the counter. When I called, they found out that he had his days mixed up and he will be here today in the afternoon.

Just so frustrating.
Have you paid in full? If so, I think you have no leverage.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:37 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Pics of backsplash

If you cant click the link to see the album, i can post the pics here. But even the backsplash, it just doesnt appear professional to me. Maybe Im too critical about some of it but if I spent this sort of money, Id expect it to look near perfect. Maybe Im wrong and asking too much.

With shower/tub/vanity/toilet, this cost almost $13k. That kind of money, there sure wasn't a ton of man hours involved. The first week I think they put in a ton of work to gut it and put in the toilet/shower, after that, besides the painter, it was just an hour here and there.

Old expression: "caulk is not a building material"

Sloppy fit, wavy wall leading to a space, which they dealt with using clear caulk.

Cheap/poor quality workmanship. Your GC should be ALL over this. I would definitely reneg on paying him a fee, for what?

Old 06-20-2017, 06:08 AM

53 posts, read 36,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Old expression: "caulk is not a building material"

Sloppy fit, wavy wall leading to a space, which they dealt with using clear caulk.

Cheap/poor quality workmanship. Your GC should be ALL over this. I would definitely reneg on paying him a fee, for what?

I screwed up by paying everything up front. Theres a story to it, but in the end, I shouldve held my own and said I wont pay it all.

I had the owner here yesterday, he offered to come by after I contacted him. Unfortunately, I think it was just to make an appearance. Unless he was keeping it to himself, he didn't think the backsplash looked all that bad. He said they will use paintable caulk so it blends in more. At this point, im just wanting it done and them out for good. They gutted this bathroom, no excuse for a wavy wall, no excuse for marble backsplash seemingly not cut straight and smooth.

I showed him the faucet which is off center, the hot/cold handles which dont align equally. Told him about the leak under the sink from the drain pipe. He didn't seem phased by it and said theyll fix it.

So as of now, on week 8, they still have to cut the hole for the vanity light and mount it, provide me with a new floor register, fix the faucet/leak, do something with the backsplash.

I ordered a mirror and over the toilet cabinet that they are going to mount, which is due to arrive this week. He stated that they will do everything in one day when I let them know this stuff will be in. This is laughable to me. Through out this whole project, they couldn't synchronize anything, yet now Im supposed to believe that they're going to have an electrician, plumber, carpenter, and whoever does the backsplash here all on the same day?!?! I dont think there's a chance in hell they can get that done.

Never again will I used this company. And they certainly are not going to like the review I leave

Old 06-20-2017, 10:39 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
I screwed up by paying everything up front. Theres a story to it, but in the end, I shouldve held my own and said I wont pay it all.

Ooofffff. I want you to wear this phrase into your head. Progress payment schedule. By the end of the job there should be about 10-15% left in pay off balance. This is your leverage

Ted bear is right. That's really I dont really give a crap install.

I had the owner here yesterday, he offered to come by after I contacted him. Unfortunately, I think it was just to make an appearance. Unless he was keeping it to himself, he didn't think the backsplash looked all that bad. He said they will use paintable caulk so it blends in more. At this point, im just wanting it done and them out for good. They gutted this bathroom, no excuse for a wavy wall, no excuse for marble backsplash seemingly not cut straight and smooth.

That's exactly what they hope for. You getting tired of their bs and just walking away.

I showed him the faucet which is off center, the hot/cold handles which dont align equally. Told him about the leak under the sink from the drain pipe. He didn't seem phased by it and said theyll fix it.

So as of now, on week 8, they still have to cut the hole for the vanity light and mount it, provide me with a new floor register, fix the faucet/leak, do something with the backsplash.

I ordered a mirror and over the toilet cabinet that they are going to mount, which is due to arrive this week. He stated that they will do everything in one day when I let them know this stuff will be in. This is laughable to me. Through out this whole project, they couldn't synchronize anything, yet now Im supposed to believe that they're going to have an electrician, plumber, carpenter, and whoever does the backsplash here all on the same day?!?! I dont think there's a chance in hell they can get that done.

It's going to be impossible to get all those trades in one day in one bathroom. They will all be working on top of one another and it's all going to be crap

Never again will I used this company. And they certainly are not going to like the review I leave
They don't give a hoot about your review on Yelp or Angie's List or whatever. They got paid in full you have absolutely no leverage and they have no idea ncentve to work harder or do it right. I despise people like that.
About the only thing you may be able to do is if they don't finish the job is to go after their license and bond. Cross your fingers that they don't come back to fix everything. Make sure you send a detailed demand list of repairs and puck up list.

I'm seriously thinking of starting up my consulting business back up to help people before they get in these situations.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:59 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Sorry you went through this OP.
1) From now on if possible only go with recommendations from people you know. Between family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, church/synagogue acquaintances -- heck even friends of friends.....NO ONE had any names -- or knew someone who knew someone who'd had any work done by any contractor? Heck even just a name to avoid. Personal recommendations are the only way to go. (and even that's not absolutely 100% pain free, but it suuuure beats not going that route.

2) You said "they never gave me a copy of details of the items." Uh, no. That, I have to say is on you. a) did you ask, b) did you INSIST, c) at a minimum take a picture of the document with your cell phone. I have to admit I only know think to do that because I was shopping with a friend's young daughter at Ikea and went to turn and go get the short little pencil and sheet they have for you to write down the items numbers and locations ....and she said, no, "I'll just take a picture of it with my phone." I'm an old fart so I have to admit I don't know that I ever would have thought of that on my own. But now even I take pictures of plants in my garden to show workers at the nursery when I need a plant identified, or when I'm shopping for a family member and don't know WHICH Dove soap they want...I just take a picture, text it to them and the text back which one.

So at least take you own photo of the paperwork. Having your own copies is vital.

3) Also I prefer working with contractors who let me pick out and BUY my own fixtures and materials. (with in reason I guess) Many contractors don't like -- or just won't -- work that way. But some will.

As for your timeline -- I had two bathrooms, a kitchen, and a laundry room gutted and redone and it didn't take seven weeks. My contractor was a small outfit, only him and one helper. His cousin was the electrician. And he works one job at a time. My entire job took him about four weeks. He was recommended by a friend, who had also found him through a friend.

That was 10 years ago. To this day I call him and get recommendations for handymen who will do smaller jobs that aren't really remodeling. (clean out, painting staining jobs, small landscape or concrete jobs, etc)

ETA: AND you paid for the whole job upfront? As you hinted ....you had your reasons. But you knew when you did that, that that was your leverage. You took a chance and it didn't go well. Lesson learned. Sounds like a LOT of lessons learned with this job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House