Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 08:59 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times

Advertisements

I have a really old central AC unit in my rental. It is a package unit on the roof. The other day it stopped blowing so the repair guy came out and changed the motor on the blower. He said it was the original motor and was in really bad shape. He showed it to me and it was covered in dust and debris. Just looked nasty.

He changed it out just fine and we tested it out for a few minutes and it worked wonderfully. Later that evening though all of the sudden this loud high pitched hum started coming on whenever the AC came on. It didn't do it when he first changed it out as I would have definitely heard it.

It is a really annoying noise and the pitch just makes it very unpleasant. My questions are, is this normal? Or could this be a faulty part/install or something? I guess I might get used to it after awhile. I wouldn't mind so much but the pitch it is at is one of those noises that just grinds at your brain. And it's quite loud too. Previously we had not much noise other than the sound of the air blowing. I just want to get some info before I call the owner back, if at all. I don't want to sound like a crazy man if this is just something normal that can't be "fixed" that I'll have to learn to live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 09:28 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
He changed it out just fine and we tested it out for a few minutes and it worked wonderfully.
Later that evening though all of the sudden this loud high pitched hum started...
Have you called the servicer or your landlord yet?
When are they coming back to tighten or loosen or change whatever is at fault?

Old 06-30-2017, 09:36 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
So being on the roof, I guess he showed you the part on land and you can't go look at it.

Sounds like ours when something is supposed to move and is stuck. And then not good to aggravate it and turn it on.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Have you called the servicer or your landlord yet?
When are they coming back to tighten or loosen or change whatever is at fault?
That's my question. I don't know if something is wrong and needs to be looked at. I wasn't sure if this was normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
So being on the roof, I guess he showed you the part on land and you can't go look at it.

Sounds like ours when something is supposed to move and is stuck. And then not good to aggravate it and turn it on.
Yeah he showed me the old motor back on the ground once he finished replacing it.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:38 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
It could be a defective motor or it could be something in the mount. Yes, report it and document it. Not to be a worry-wart, but there is a small possibility that it might start a fire. (That should put a fire under your LL.) If the motor is defective, it needs to be changed out anyway, and the AC company has a better chance of getting ITS money back if it is reported and returned quickly.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It could be a defective motor or it could be something in the mount. Yes, report it and document it. Not to be a worry-wart, but there is a small possibility that it might start a fire. (That should put a fire under your LL.) If the motor is defective, it needs to be changed out anyway, and the AC company has a better chance of getting ITS money back if it is reported and returned quickly.

I have a call in to the AC guy already. Just waiting a return call.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:17 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
You might even be able to let him listen through your phone.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:06 PM

The AC guy was just here. He said the motor was set to too high a speed so it turned it down some. He said he couldn't turn it any lower or it wouldn't do it's job. It is still making the hum, just not as bad. He said it's the best he can do given the age of the overall unit. He said the only way to get rid of those types of noises is to replace the entire unit (to the tune of $5,000-$7,000). I'm not too happy but I guess I'll have to learn to live with it since I'm a renter.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Maybe not the motor- maybe the belt? Was new belt installed? Was it aligned properly.

If it can be narrowed down to the motor it's quite possible it's a faulty bearing causing the noise. Then again, today's motors are designed to be more energy efficient and that could possibly have something to do with it versus the old motor. Or, there's a difference in the RPM's(?).

Old 06-30-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Maybe not the motor- maybe the belt? Was new belt installed? Was it aligned properly.

If it can be narrowed down to the motor it's quite possible it's a faulty bearing causing the noise. Then again, today's motors are designed to be more energy efficient and that could possibly have something to do with it versus the old motor. Or, there's a difference in the RPM's(?).
I think you were posting as I posted my update.

The belt wasn't replaced as far as I'm aware. Just the motor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House