Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 07:42 AM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
As someone who owns a drone, for recreational purposes, hovering directly over someone's house/yard at a low altitude seems a bit odd. I wouldn't be comfortable with that, cell phone image quality or not. But if it's at least 100 feet in the air it shouldn't be much of an issue, at least in my opinion. I prefer to fly my drone over open areas, but if there's a nice sunset or a picturesque thunderstorm rolling in I'll take mine up wherever. I've never had anyone complain to me, most people are simply curious.

People who automatically assume drone operators are on some sort of top secret spy mission need to relax. 99.99999% of drone flyers couldn't care less about you or what you're doing. Almost none of the pictures I take have people in them, and if they do, the tops of heads are only a few pixels in size.
Good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
How are people supposed to complain unless the drone flyer is within their sight?

It's not like your phone number is clearly legible on the bottom of the drone.

That said, there should be a law that all drones are registered and labeled like planes and cars, clear enough so someone with binoculars could easily read the ID.

That would give people some recourse to report a misbehaving/suspicious drone to authorities.

If your drone does not have legible identification, it should be fair game/legal to take it down.
Not sure most drones are NEAR big enough to have the type of ID you want. It would have to be VERY close to see that kind of writing. But.... the drone operator should be within your sight. If it is close to you, so is the operator. They don't have an effective range of MILES. If they are not in line of sight, they would be very difficult to navigate at low altitude near any obstacles at all. All they have is a little phone sized screen and the camera only points in one direction. You can't get a 360 degree reference to obstacles and you have no depth perception navigating that way.

If you see a drone operating near obstacles or people without crashing.... the operator can likely see it too. Let me explain this way. In close quarters, one uses visual reference to control the drone, and the screen to position the camera. You can't fly with only one eye that moves independent of the controls and gives no clues about which way is up or down. You have no sense of which way the the machine is oriented.

How are you proposing to take down drones in neighborhoods? You really think people shooting into the air at these things is a safe and reasonable reaction to the potential of a camera? Can you shoot at someone on the street taking a picture? The over-the-top level of fear of tools all of us are carrying all the time is hard to reason with. And this is coming from a person who hates to be photographed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
It is highly unlikely that your neighborhood thief or pedophile is using a plane or satellite to scope out your home.

And, how long will it be before drones are capable of taking highly detailed pictures?....only a matter of time.

I agree with you about rules, we need new laws put in place to regulate the use of drones, starting with requiring a license to make sure drone operators know the laws, just like driving a car or flying a plane.

Point taken that the technology will improve, but at this point it is very doubtful thieves and pedophiles are using drones. It's just not that difficult to do either task a lot better without a drone. It's not that hard to take much better pictures without anyone knowing. Everyone knows the drone is there. It's a really poor spy tool. Really!

We do need rules everyone knows and understands. Rules that make sense. And they need to be fairly uniform, we can't have a patchwork of different rules and banned areas in this mobile society. We need consistency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 09:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
He almost walked into my car twice when I was driving my kids home from school last spring.

So just say something to him. What is so difficult about that?

Old 07-05-2017, 10:22 AM

730 posts, read 769,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
So just say something to him. What is so difficult about that?
Nothing difficult about that. I did say something. I rolled down my window once and asked him nicely if he could move please. He flipped me off. Nice behavior, eh? But what can you expect from an adult who walks in the middle of the street and doesn't watch for traffic and gets mad when someone politely asks him to move?

I don't think it's that difficult to watch for traffic either, but hey, that's just me.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:26 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
I'd take a bat to that thing, lol.

Anyway, what concerns me is WHY the neighbor would do this in your neighborhood? He can always take the thing out somewhere and fly it if he is just doing it for the sport of it. He has to know that it makes some uncomfortable. Does he generally lack self-awareness?

Old 07-05-2017, 10:33 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I'd take a bat to that thing, lol.

Anyway, what concerns me is WHY the neighbor would do this in your neighborhood? He can always take the thing out somewhere and fly it if he is just doing it for the sport of it. He has to know that it makes some uncomfortable. Does he generally lack self-awareness?
Some people are jerks !

I worked with an arrogant co-worker once who was asked how many mobile home parks he and his family were ejected from.

He said............" no one is going to tell me how loud my music should be "

The attitude of............" don't tell me what I can do "......is becoming more common every day.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
He flipped me off.
walks in the middle of the street and doesn't watch for traffic and gets mad when someone politely asks him to move
Then yeah, his drone would be the last of his worries.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:42 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So this neighbor can just do what he wants when he wants without asking anyone if they mind?
Not around our home and I don't care if you *think* nothing can be seen. The point is you and your drone are invading into my privacy and space and I will not tolerate it on any level.
Any level? What are you planning to do about Google Earth?

Old 07-05-2017, 11:56 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Thanks for all of your insights, craigiri...

I do think this will work itself out, as we have adjusted to other new technologies, we will adjust to this one as well.

I think most of the serious concerns here would be solved if more people would just talk to each other.
I think shooting the drone down is a very efficient and civilized way of solving this nuissance. Evidently, drone-owner flipped off the OP when blocking the street.

Talking to a nuissance-maker can be very costly, in terms of time and aggravation, present and future. Many nuissance-makers are not civilized, so using a civilized method of communicating (like speech) is like talking ancient Greek to a coyote.

Shooting the drone avoids all of that.

Shooting the drone down also insures, very possibly permanently, that such nuissance will no longer continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Good post.

Not sure most drones are NEAR big enough to have the type of ID you want. It would have to be VERY close to see that kind of writing. But.... the drone operator should be within your sight. If it is close to you, so is the operator. They don't have an effective range of MILES. If they are not in line of sight, they would be very difficult to navigate at low altitude near any obstacles at all. All they have is a little phone sized screen and the camera only points in one direction. You can't get a 360 degree reference to obstacles and you have no depth perception navigating that way.

If you see a drone operating near obstacles or people without crashing.... the operator can likely see it too. Let me explain this way. In close quarters, one uses visual reference to control the drone, and the screen to position the camera. You can't fly with only one eye that moves independent of the controls and gives no clues about which way is up or down. You have no sense of which way the the machine is oriented.

How are you proposing to take down drones in neighborhoods? You really think people shooting into the air at these things is a safe and reasonable reaction to the potential of a camera? Can you shoot at someone on the street taking a picture? The over-the-top level of fear of tools all of us are carrying all the time is hard to reason with. And this is coming from a person who hates to be photographed.

Point taken that the technology will improve, but at this point it is very doubtful thieves and pedophiles are using drones. It's just not that difficult to do either task a lot better without a drone. It's not that hard to take much better pictures without anyone knowing. Everyone knows the drone is there. It's a really poor spy tool. Really!

We do need rules everyone knows and understands. Rules that make sense. And they need to be fairly uniform, we can't have a patchwork of different rules and banned areas in this mobile society. We need consistency.
Good. Get the Drone-maker to understand the rules. Let him read 600 pages of drone regulation and about 10,000 more pages of referenced rules. He has that burden. Not people in the neighborhood who didn't do anything.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:18 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
God, some of you are so paranoid it's ridiculous.

These are mostly quadcopters that started as simple RC craft that you could fly indoors or in your backyard. They aren't spy gear. They are home hobbyist stuff. A friend has a smaller one that has a camera that he flies via VR goggles, so that it's like flying yourself. That's the appeal of them. He like s the feeling of being a bird with a bird's eye view of the world. But to listen to some of you, the only reason to fly one is to spy on neighbors and be a perv. Absolutely untrue and quite frankly, ignorant.

I've got little RC helicopters I like to fly from my backyard. it's done for fun. You shoot it down, I'll make sure you never use a goddamn gun again in your life, prisoner.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I've got little RC helicopters I like to fly from my backyard. it's done for fun. You shoot it down, I'll make sure you never use a goddamn gun again in your life, prisoner.
Awww, how cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House