Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 12:29 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
God, some of you are so paranoid it's ridiculous.

These are mostly quadcopters that started as simple RC craft that you could fly indoors or in your backyard. They aren't spy gear. They are home hobbyist stuff. A friend has a smaller one that has a camera that he flies via VR goggles, so that it's like flying yourself. That's the appeal of them. He like s the feeling of being a bird with a bird's eye view of the world. But to listen to some of you, the only reason to fly one is to spy on neighbors and be a perv. Absolutely untrue and quite frankly, ignorant.

I've got little RC helicopters I like to fly from my backyard. it's done for fun. You shoot it down, I'll make sure you never use a goddamn gun again in your life, prisoner.
Not for me to worry or get to know drones, if you fly it over my house. I am very busy, a full-time and half work, family, fun-for-me things, kids, wife, aging parents, doctors, you think learning about drones flying over my house is "on my radar?"

Even more, their tech and how now tech and camera quality improves by leaps and bounds -- you think I am about to research and get up to speed? Or you think I will believe strangers on the internet?

Look -- very simple -- you fly something over my property, without my prior consent, you may get shot down.

And who says I shot it down? You think PD will come to investigate your POS $ 1,000 drone shootout? I hope your PD has better things to do -- like stopping crime for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 12:34 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Nothing difficult about that. I did say something. I rolled down my window once and asked him nicely if he could move please. He flipped me off. Nice behavior, eh? But what can you expect from an adult who walks in the middle of the street and doesn't watch for traffic and gets mad when someone politely asks him to move?

Not sure rolling down the window and telling a guy to move is what I would call a friendly greeting or curious interest in the neighbor and what he was doing with his drone. As I said... Neither party here is trying to understand or get along with the other. It doesn't surprise me that the neighborhood has a hostile view of everyone else.

I actually dislike my neighbor quite a bit, but when I see him outside, we stop and share a few pleasantries. It's what civilized people do, when they don't want to make enemies out of the neighbors.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:40 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
You think PD will come to investigate your POS $ 1,000 drone shootout? I hope your PD has better things to do -- like stopping crime for example.
I think anyone shooting at anything in a residential neighborhood will get the PD's interest, yes.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:59 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not sure rolling down the window and telling a guy to move is what I would call a friendly greeting or curious interest in the neighbor and what he was doing with his drone. As I said... Neither party here is trying to understand or get along with the other. It doesn't surprise me that the neighborhood has a hostile view of everyone else.

I actually dislike my neighbor quite a bit, but when I see him outside, we stop and share a few pleasantries. It's what civilized people do, when they don't want to make enemies out of the neighbors.
I wouldn't expect the drone-owner to go around the neighborhood and ask permission, however, he should have however made an attempt to talk to his immediate neighbors, and get their consent / agreement.

Secondly, there are places where you can let your drone loose. I see them all the time. He should use those. If you're not a real estate person, then go do you hobby elsewhere. What happened to the civility of not bothering others?

Last edited by Henry10; 07-05-2017 at 02:13 PM..

Old 07-05-2017, 01:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
We are having a heated debate in our neighborhood. One of our neighbors is flying their drone with a camera over and around the houses in our subdivision. This is ticking off some of the neighbors. Just for background, our subdivision is a non HOA with all of our lots being 1/2-1 acre in size.

Some of the neighbors are saying their home ownership rights extend up vertically and that the neighbor's camera drone is infringing on the home owner's privacy.

I really don't care but my hubby said "What if some neighbor flew their drone past the high bathroom window we have (that has no curtain treatments on because it's too high) and you or one of our kids were getting out of the tub or shower?"

Hmmm. That gave me a bit of pause.

What say you?
Maybe this has already been suggested, but some municipalities have laws against this type of spying. People DO have privacy rights. Sending drones over others' property can be considered stalking. Check with your local police to find out if this activity is regulated by law in your locale.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:10 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
<>Look -- very simple -- you fly something over my property, without my prior consent, you may get shot down.

And who says I shot it down? You think PD will come to investigate your POS $ 1,000 drone shootout? I hope your PD has better things to do -- like stopping crime for example.
So to your mind, destroying $1000 of someone's personal property is not a crime?
Hmmmm.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
The question wasn't about YOUR home or YOU, nor was Diana Holbrook's response.

Whomever left this reputation comment^^^^^^^^^^^ sign it or don't leave it and I don't recall asking YOUR permission
to post a reply on a public forum, bylpph.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:17 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Whomever left this reputation comment^^^^^^^^^^^ sign it or don't leave it
I can't stand a sanctimonious passive-aggressive loser that does that. You can always report them.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Short answer:

Is it legal? Probably.

Is it OK or right? Probably not.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The question wasn't about YOUR home or YOU, nor was Diana Holbrook's response.

Whomever left this reputation comment^^^^^^^^^^^ sign it or don't leave it and I don't recall asking YOUR permission
to post a reply on a public forum, bylpph.
These sorts of weenie messages immediately remind me that there are some true cowards out there in this world - passive aggressive cowards too. You know, they could send you a PM or a direct message - but no, because their name would show, so they leave a negative rep comment instead, which is so silly it's pathetic.

This is against the TOS and these rep comments can easily be traced by the moderators - who WILL track them down and issue a warning (or an infraction if there are enough warnings to warrant it) if you report it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House