Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 08:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,694,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I am very blissfully ignorant on how drones work, and have no interest, nor do I care. Neverthelss, knowledge of drones is irrelevant in this discussion. Let me repeat, I don't care how they work.

This is about a drone hovering over someone's property. This is about privacy, life safety and property.

Secondly, some pages ago someone (maybe you) tried to re-assure us that drones really do not capture very good pictures or details. And that was the professional drones. This neighbor is most likely even using an amateur drone. So tell me, if professional drones cannot really capture good detail, how is this cheap drone going to capture a photo of this 1/4" bullet flying towards it at 2500 feet/second.
Was not me. Hobby drones can take excellent pictures. Also it is laughable that you think they need an image of the bullet! A picture of you pointing a gun would be more than enough.

Quote:
Thirdly, wouldn't the camera also be obliterated on impact? Or you expect the FBI to employ the most sophisticated hard-drive re-build technology so it can find a nothing flying at 2500 fps?
Since you don't care to understand how drones work, I think a simple "no" will suffice here, but I have to say the fact you think cameras have hard drives is funny.

Quote:
motives of privacy, life safety and property security become meaningless? Not mine, or anybody's I think.
Privacy has been dealt with elsewhere.

Your motive of "life safety" goes right out the window when you shoot at a flying object that can weigh up to 55lbs (tho they are more like 5-10 typically) and a dozen spinning blades at thousands of rpms. You shooting at a drone is a bigger threat to life than the drone is.

Quote:
If I shoot the drone, and someone can positively identify me as the shooter, sure they will sue me if there is injury. But they will also sue drone owner, and everybody else they can. So, drone owner will have no reprieve whatsoever. That's why, he has everything to lose. That's why I said he probably owns nothing that so cavalierly risks.
Nonsense! The drone owner, operating within FAA regulations is protected by the law. You on the other hand would have broken the law first by shooting at a drone near people, aka near people, and then by breaking actual federal law. You don't get it, there is nothing in the law that says drones cannot be operated over residential areas, it is annoying maybe but not illegal.

If someone is legally doing something even if it annoys you, say loudly revving a motorcycle in the street, and you shoot the motorcycle, causing the operator to lose control and hit a child standing across the street, you would be to blame for the child's injury not the motorcycle rider.

Quote:
Chances are, if I take a safe shot, I will destroy the toy, and if scratches my t-Bird I will also sue the yahoo too for the car damages.
Lol, go ahead. You won't win.

Last edited by lkb0714; 07-05-2017 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
People fly kites at open fields and parks. By the time some get over private property, they are very high up, maybe even 1000 feet.
Kids in neighborhood fly kites all over the place not just parks and fields. Also the certainly fly them at the height drones fly at. Lol @ 1000 ft. Like really laughing out loud. A typically hobby kite flies at an altitude of 200ft. It is illegal to fly them over 500ft

Quote:
Comparing it to drones hovering at 100 feet over my backyard is like apples and cucumbers.
Only if you fib about it. Two hundred ft is much closer to a hundred feet than a thousand.

Quote:
Not sure why you think geotagging is a lifesaver here. When a drone is in between 3-4 properties, I shoot it down from a concealed position. Remember per OP, properties are .5-1 acre

Let's say drone falls on my lawn. I pick it up, in the privacy of my rear yard, let loose my sledge-hammer a few times, collect the debris and put in the trash can. Yahoo comes and knocks on my door:
Roflamo. This keeps getting better. Drones with gps, like a good hobby drone, will be run by a tablet or computer or even a phone. The data, including the gps location (accurate to within a meter on a decent hobby drone) and images will be stored on the tablet.

Quote:
- "Have you seen my drone"?

- I reply -- "No. Sorry, I am watching the game so gtfo"
-Officer: "Well this picture shows you aiming a gun at the drone, and it's last GPS location was right at X, so let's try that again"

Quote:
Case closed. What is he gonna do? You said his BS drone will have a photo of my bullet, which of course is ludicrous. How is going to get that image, if he can't get to the drone?
Because he still has whatever he was using to operate the drone which is where all the data is stored.

Quote:
You think cops will get involved in this? What's next for them -- Johnny's 5 year old son broke his neighbor's toy?
A hobbyist will spend upwards of $1000 or more on a drone and all the bells and whistles. You think cops won't get involved on destroyed property legally operated that costs that much? Lol. My husbands surfboard got stolen a few years ago, off the beach, not even on our property. He called the cops when he saw someone else riding it and the arrested the kid. It was only worth $600.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:58 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,981,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because it is fun. Go ask people why they like RC cars or planes, or why they launch homemade rockets, or whatever. I think the op established pretty clearly this is this mans hobby. My neighbors son and his friends run these gas powered RC cars around up and down the street and sidewalk a couple times a month and they are early 20s. Not my idea of a good time but they are not obligated to explain why they like them to anyone.
apples to oranges

the activities you mentioned aren't done on/over someone's back yard

Old 07-05-2017, 09:03 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,981,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I don't know why they just don't pass a law that if the drone is within 7 and a half shot range, from a 12 gauge, it's fair game! At least that would keep them at some distance. The effective range is usually around 40 yards or 120 feet. While it is possible that the fine shot could take one down at further distance; it is unlikely as that distance is increased. Of course that would not help property owners in our cities where it is unlawful to shoot.
Best regulation I have heard yet !

Modify the city ordinance so it is allowed.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
apples to oranges

the activities you mentioned aren't done on/over someone's back yard
You seem to think that makes it illegal. It does not. It is 100% legal to simply fly a drone over someone's property. Meanwhile there is a specific law against shooting at aircraft, even unmanned ones. Do you think if you shot at a plane flying at low over your house you would not be in trouble?

Old 07-05-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Best regulation I have heard yet !

Modify the city ordinance so it is allowed.
Wait you think city ordinances trump FAA regulations?

Old 07-05-2017, 09:12 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,277,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We have some clown that thinks its fun to harass us while we are hunting. That drone is bound to get blasted if he keeps it up. I'd hope the moron knows what he's doing is illegal but it will get expensive if he keeps it up.
Maybe you should find a more intelligent activity than killing these poor animals for your sick amusement. Don't you have cable TV to distract yourself? Considering getting a public library card and learn about nature.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:13 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,052,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Well, that's your own issue.

It has nothing to do with calling people immature names like "hateful simpleton". Don't want problems? Don't intentionally cause problems that violate my privacy, like flying your RC helicopter over my private property. That's pretty simple isn't it? If you can't do that then there will be consequences, like I would expect if I were to do that to you. Like it or not That's how it works here in America.

If you don't want a fight then don't do things that provoke one.

Mind your own business and don't spy on me and we'll get along as neighbors perfectly.
This guy gets it.

If you go talk to a jerk and end up with slashed tires, then astute people will say "you should have tread more softly so as not to paint a target on yourself".

You can't go around firing a gun in the air but a discreet air rifle and common sense so it doesn't fall in your lap and theres no way of knowing who did it.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:15 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,052,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Maybe you should find a more intelligent activity than killing these poor animals for your sick amusement. Don't you have cable TV to distract yourself? Considering getting a public library card and learn about nature.
Hunting is part and parcel of the American heritage, its protected by law from the condescension of the cognoscenti.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:23 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,277,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

YOU DO NOT OWN YOUR AIRSPACE - NOT EVEN ABOVE THE TOP OF A BLADE OF GRASSS. That is according to the FAA. So your local town, county or even state cannot change that. I refer back to all the other laws which cover anyone hassling you on your property.

Just for kicks, let's say a neighbor builds a 3 story house with a roof deck. With a zoom cam or telescope he gets pictures 10X as good as a drone. He has full rights to take those pics - but if he takes 20 of them close up of you in your bikini at your pool you can probably call the authorities (although maybe not...depends somewhat on whether you are a public figure, celebrity, etc.).
You don't have to own any airspace, if someone is harassing and/or creating a nuisance, you call the police. You don't need anyone's permission to call the police. You pick up the phone and call them. If you do this enough times along with others, they will come out to talk to the people causing the problem. You can also file a lawsuit against them making it a civil matter. Between the police and a lawsuit, you are going to stop the noise and harassment. They don't like it, they can take their toy to the parks, or find another hobby.

This is a fad and local ordinances will address this eventually if the fad has not subsided by then.

I've seen the Youtube videos of these things, and they look interesting for about 5 minutes. I seriously don't get why people want to play with these things so much in their own neighborhood, there is nothing to see there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House