Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 06:03 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Two issues:

1- Anonymous shooting of hobby drones. Anonymous being the key word here.
You just keep getting funnier. Most criminals intend to be "anonymous" when committing crimes, then they get caught. I guess in your world, anonymous bank robbery is a reasonable option - anonymous being the key word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You just keep getting funnier. Most criminals intend to be "anonymous" when committing crimes, then they get caught. I guess in your world, anonymous bank robbery is a reasonable option - anonymous being the key word.
That doesn't make any sense at all. Come on; you're attributing to him something he never even implied. That's conversational terrorism.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:05 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Lololol first he doesn't care about drones and professes his love of his own ignorance then suddenly he thinks he is an expert on not just the drones but also law enforcement, physics and electronics.
You just skimmed thru and ignored when I called out that you were very wrong about Yahoo Bill's "might not be illegal" to hover around neighbor's BBQ party. Obviously you weren't aware of this basic FAA safety rule -- You shall not fly your drone over a group of people.

You keep ignoring also the liability issue, as if it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Now his time is so valuable that he has posted a hundred times in a thread he simultaneously doesn't care about and is too busy for. Lolololol.
Quite honestly, I am disappointed because the illogicity of some arguments is taking away from the pleasure I am having on debating this issue. If it were a drudgery, I wouldn't be doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Out of context.

Anynomous shooting of a $ 1000 unauthorized, unlicensed drone, repeat -- done in a safe way (if not safe, I will not take the shot), unrecoverable evidence -- I highly doubt police will bother with Yahoo Bill's toy.

In return for eliminating of what I seriously consider a danger to my life and property -- I will make the same decision every day, and twice on Sunday.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:43 PM

10 posts, read 8,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
We are having a heated debate in our neighborhood. One of our neighbors is flying their drone with a camera over and around the houses in our subdivision. This is ticking off some of the neighbors. Just for background, our subdivision is a non HOA with all of our lots being 1/2-1 acre in size.

Some of the neighbors are saying their home ownership rights extend up vertically and that the neighbor's camera drone is infringing on the home owner's privacy.

I really don't care but my hubby said "What if some neighbor flew their drone past the high bathroom window we have (that has no curtain treatments on because it's too high) and you or one of our kids were getting out of the tub or shower?"

Hmmm. That gave me a bit of pause.

What say you?
I would be upset because I'm all about my privacy. That is crazy that someone would even do that smh.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:09 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Stand your ground.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:13 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Well, as far as I know, you're not allowed to shoot down a drone or damage one, but since we're talking about being anonymous...why not just get a bigger drone and run it into the one flying over your house? You don't have to be anywhere near the drone when it's doing this and for all you know, there were two neighbors flying drones over your house and they accidentally collided. You don't know who owns either one. Ain't that a shame?

Old 07-07-2017, 03:29 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
You just skimmed thru and ignored when I called out that you were very wrong about Yahoo Bill's "might not be illegal" to hover around neighbor's BBQ party. Obviously you weren't aware of this basic FAA safety rule -- You shall not fly your drone over a group of people.

You keep ignoring also the liability issue, as if it doesn't exist.

Quite honestly, I am disappointed because the illogicity of some arguments is taking away from the pleasure I am having on debating this issue. If it were a drudgery, I wouldn't be doing this.

Anynomous shooting of a $ 1000 unauthorized, unlicensed drone, repeat -- done in a safe way (if not safe, I will not take the shot), unrecoverable evidence -- I highly doubt police will bother with Yahoo Bill's toy.

In return for eliminating of what I seriously consider a danger to my life and property -- I will make the same decision every day, and twice on Sunday.
The local police are not the one that charges you with a crime for shooting down a drone. It is the Feds, as it is a federal crime you have committed. You are tried in federal court with the Crime, enforced by the FAA.

You will be charged for discharging a gun within the city limits in most cities. You will have committed two crimes with 2 different authorities giving you separate charges for criminal acts.

Man charged after shooting down drone - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Can I Shoot Down My Neighbor's Drone? - Law and Daily Life

And you can be sued and will lose if you shoot down a drone.

https://petapixel.com/2015/06/29/man...-with-shotgun/

Old 07-07-2017, 05:22 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The local police are not the one that charges you with a crime for shooting down a drone. It is the Feds, as it is a federal crime you have committed. You are tried in federal court with the Crime, enforced by the FAA.

You will be charged for discharging a gun within the city limits in most cities. You will have committed two crimes with 2 different authorities giving you separate charges for criminal acts.

Man charged after shooting down drone - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Can I Shoot Down My Neighbor's Drone? - Law and Daily Life

And you can be sued and will lose if you shoot down a drone.

https://petapixel.com/2015/06/29/man...-with-shotgun/
Thanks for the links. First, I didn't get the impression that OP lives in a city. She also stated that properties are .5-1 acre but no HOA. So I don't picture her neighborhood to be packed like Queens NY.

Secondly, more importantly, none of the stories you linked to has any connection to the motivation for my shooting down the drone -- self-defense.

Here is what OP reported: "One of our neighbors is flying their drone with a camera over and around the houses in our subdivision"

I picture groups of kids running around backyards, groups of people having BBQ, my family, guests etc hanging out by the pool -- and a hobby drone hovering around us.

FAA clearly prohibits drones over groups of people, due to safety concerns. So my concern for safety is consistent with FAA's.

If I feel Billy's drone is a danger to my life and property, I am fully justified in using force to eliminate the threat, in self-defense. None of the stories you linked indicated such motive.

As far as feds -- I highly doubt they will pursue a case for Billy's toy that you can shoot down with a water hose.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:12 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I'll second the "buy a drone bigger than theirs and take it down" idea. Brilliant. If you don't mind losing a decent amount of $. The results would be worth it IMO.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:43 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
I'll bet the same people who say that shooting down a drone lands you in Federal court also believes that damaging mailboxes lands you in Federal court.

I have bridges to sell those posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House