Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 06:50 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
People are upset because they're new and unfamiliar. In a friendlier time, they'd be curious and go ask the neighbor and talk to him about it, let him show off his new toy.

We use it for our real estate business. It takes nice wide-angle shots of the property and the house and the general layout of the neighborhood and surrounding area. That's it - it's not going to see anything happening in any detail unless it is close enough to grab it. Honest.
Before I read this comment, I deduced from your pro-drone writings and the fact that you are a real estate agent that you actually own and use a drone. That means it helps you earn money.

In my opinion, you, or the neighbor who will use your services, need to seek out the neighbors over whose houses you might capture footage and ask them to sign a release (paying them a fair amount for the right to film over their property, of course) well before you begin filming.

Depending upon the altitude at which your videographer films, it would be possible to discern if there were children playing in the yard, pets outside, nudity, equipment in the backyard, etc., even if precise detail is not clearly visible. However, from watching hours of YouTube videos in HD or 4K, I judge the footage to show much more detail than you suggest, especially if the video begins or ends at the property and zooms up or down, as opposed to filming a general establishing shot from much higher up.

I know that Google and others do aerial photographs, but those are static and are not detailed. In some areas, they may not even go in as closely to the ground as others.

Nolo's 9th edition of Neighbor Law from March 2017 addresses "drones trespassing onto your property" to some degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 07:03 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I notice some of the same posters defending drone users are the same posters who defended contractors bringing their dogs to houses.
haha..good catch LOL

Old 07-07-2017, 07:12 PM

If the drone is only 20-30 ft above the ground I would be thinking of a way of tossing a net on it ..

And I hear kite lines are death to drones.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:14 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Lol. So if I say no to chocolate over my steak, that makes me a chocolate-hater now?

Here is a tip on making jokes -- if you can't think straight, don't make them.
Diana: I will even go further with this -- do you use chocolate over your own steak?

In other words -- do you fly your drone over your own kids' heads, 20 feet or so? Point blank question... Answer it...

Old 07-07-2017, 07:17 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Before I read this comment, I deduced from your pro-drone writings and the fact that you are a real estate agent that you actually own and use a drone. That means it helps you earn money.

In my opinion, you, or the neighbor who will use your services, need to seek out the neighbors over whose houses you might capture footage and ask them to sign a release (paying them a fair amount for the right to film over their property, of course) well before you begin filming.

Depending upon the altitude at which your videographer films, it would be possible to discern if there were children playing in the yard, pets outside, nudity, equipment in the backyard, etc., even if precise detail is not clearly visible. However, from watching hours of YouTube videos in HD or 4K, I judge the footage to show much more detail than you suggest, especially if the video begins or ends at the property and zooms up or down, as opposed to filming a general establishing shot from much higher up.

I know that Google and others do aerial photographs, but those are static and are not detailed. In some areas, they may not even go in as closely to the ground as others.
Hi SFBayBoomer.

Yes, we do have one. When we are doing Real Estate pictures, we actually rarely, if ever go over the property of others. The types of properties we use the drone for are usually larger properties with acreage, barns and outbuildings we can show perspective and layout. If we do fly over the neighboring property, it may be only incidental, like their back forty to be able to shoot back toward our subject, and not over homes or people.

We haven't done a lot of video. We don't do the types of artsy videos over an area like you see, set to music, on youtube... At least for work.

We have done a few of those at home, for fun and to learn better skills with it.

I know what the good cameras can see. Try not to take comments out of context when I say they're not super high quality zoom pictures. They are decent cameras, certainly equivalent to really good cell phone or digital point and shoot cameras... maybe even better. BUT - They generally are NOT zoom lenses that can show detail from high altitude. SO the point I was trying to make was, they won't be able to spy on you without you knowing they are there. They won't be taking super spy pics in your windows from 100 feet. If they are spying on people or looking in windows, they will be close, and you will see and certainly hear them. That's an important distinction, whether their presence is a secret or it's obvious.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 07-07-2017 at 07:29 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Diana: I will even go further with this -- do you use chocolate over your own steak?

In other words -- do you fly your drone over your own kids' heads, 20 feet or so? Point blank question... Answer it...
I don't have kids, but hubby and I often fly it together, and we take it out and fly it over our own heads, and those of our farm animals whom we love. When we first got it, the horses and goats and pig would get a little snorty about it. Now they ignore it.

If friends brought their kids over to see the drone fly, I would not rush them in the house and hide them. We'd let them watch it of course! You are very afraid of these things. I understand that about you. I respect them and don't want to crash one, or grab it out of midair by the props, but I am not terrified to have it near me.

I haven't tried chocolate on steak. Is it good?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:02 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don't have kids, but hubby and I often fly it together, and we take it out and fly it over our own heads, and those of our farm animals whom we love. When we first got it, the horses and goats and pig would get a little snorty about it. Now they ignore it.

If friends brought their kids over to see the drone fly, I would not rush them in the house and hide them. We'd let them watch it of course! You are very afraid of these things. I understand that about you. I respect them and don't want to crash one, or grab it out of midair by the props, but I am not terrified to have it near me.

Here is video of Drone Slicer / Blender:

https://youtu.be/B_Kym0e5J7M

Cutting a chicken -- https://youtu.be/MgeRchTHxVk

As FAA stipulates drones are dangerous to operate over people. But if you're willing to take that risk for yourself, that's your prerogative.

But do your friends a favor -- keep your drone away from their kids. You will not be their friend if God forbid your drone malfunctions and slices some kid's fingers, or worse.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:17 PM

Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and let the chips fall where they may later.

If a drone was 20 ft over my kids on my property I would absolutely bring it down however I could.
Super soaker, bear spray, hose, power washer, paint ball gun, pellet gun, net, kite string, AR 15..

Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:

I do.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:53 PM

Henry, I've tried to be friendly with you, even though we disagree on the value and safety of drones. It's not personal.

You seem obsessed with their safety, even though I'm not sure you've even ever seen one in your vicinity. Maybe I missed it, it's been a long thread with lots of people on it.

Fact is, those of you who claim you will shoot them down, seem a far bigger danger in a suburban neighborhood than the guy puttering around with his drone. I just hope you consider that. Is your response reasonable? I don't think so, and the police may well agree with me. Your mileage may vary...

If it's 20 feet over your kids on any property, I'd suggest you tell the kid to move before you go shooting at it. Just an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House