Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 02:14 AM

19 posts, read 12,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
the most I can offer is to clean your coils.

besides that, 82 is not considered cool. I know in most of my appliances, ac will not even kick on over 73-74 degrees. 82 should be blowing heat/warmth.

cant figure out your problem. I wonder if you can drain/vacumm and refill your AC unit? When I used to tinker, I was able to do this.
Thanks for the reply, 82 is cool when it's 115 outside. Thats interesting though

Old 07-16-2017, 02:35 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,559,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy r View Post
I just read a article about having a dryer vent next to unit outside and my dryer vent is right there. " condenser may not breathe and the air and heat can simply recirculate back into the unit. Once the recirculated heat rises about outdoor ambient temperature you lose effective cooling because the condenser is no longer rejecting the latent heat picked up in the evaporator, suction line, and the heat from compression." I will pay attention to that and use the dryer early in the morning only. Sounds to easy to be the problem.
This reminds me of another option...the return duct broken or disconnected.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Obviously the heat and lack of A/C is making you cranky.

This is a great board and has helped a lot of people over the years. As Gerania said, you should probably find an A/C site and ask there.
Being direct isn't Cranky. I'm sure this is a great board but someone telling me to call someone else out after i've called 2 different people out isn't helpful at all. You should get off that high horse and stop telling people to look somewhere else. You seem a little sensitive. You haven't been helpful

Old 07-16-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
This reminds me of another option...the return duct broken or disconnected.
Thanks, I'll check that out in the morning. Every little thing i can trouble shoot will help.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:54 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,696,158 times
Quote:
Being direct isn't Cranky. I'm sure this is a great board but someone telling me to call someone else out after i've called 2 different people out isn't helpful at all. You should get off that high horse and stop telling people to look somewhere else. You seem a little sensitive. You haven't been helpful
What did you expect? No one here is going to be able to diagnose a problem based on a few sentences. They may be able to give you a few things to look for, but regardless, those repairs should be done by a professional. So you will still need to call someone.

And people are more willing to help people with good attitudes. When you start snapping at those trying to help you, you typically won't get too far.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:49 AM

[quote=jaynarie;48854289]What did you expect? No one here is going to be able to diagnose a problem based on a few sentences. They may be able to give you a few things to look for, but regardless, those repairs should be done by a professional. So you will still need to call someone.

And people are more willing to help people with good attitudes. When you start snapping at those trying to help you, you typically won't get too far.[/QU

I didn't expect you, obviously the professionals didn't fix the problem. Probably some out of the box problem. People have given many suggestions. Snapping? Go preach somewhere else. You don't know how to diagnose a problem. So speak for yourself. We go this!

Old 07-16-2017, 12:07 PM

25,362 posts, read 17,020,027 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, 82 is cool when it's 115 outside. Thats interesting though
WHOA!

You are in an area where the outside temperature is 115?
That can make a huge difference. Does your ductwork run through your attic?........ because the temperature inside your attic is about 140. And if the ductwork is not properly insulated, that can cause the whole problem. In fact, the HVAC may be operating perfectly.

Buy yourself one of these. $15.
https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...0224421&sr=1-1

Use your brand new infrared thermometer to measure 2 things - the temperature of the air going into the return air duct, and the temperature of the air coming out the very first register. The difference should be around 15 degrees. Mine reads 78 degrees and 64 degrees.
Then go down to the LAST duct and look at the temperature there. You may find out the temperature is 82. Or something like that.

That means all your cold air is lost to the ductwork in the attic. Problem cannot be fixed by adjusting the HVAC unit. AC units drop temperature by 15 degrees or so. After that it is all a function of ducts and so forth.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:22 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,432,187 times
My single best diagnosing tool is the temp split I'm getting...

When everything is working perfect with my Hospital System I can approach a 35 degree split... which is more than sufficient in my typically mild climate.

However when it gets to be 100+ all bets are off as to keeping the operating rooms at 68 with no recirculating air... only 100% outside all the time.

In extreme temps I have had to improvise to squeeze the max cooling by turning on water misters directed at the rooftop coils... it does help...

Knowing my system capabilities the temp test is proof positive the system is working when I have a 30 or more split.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:59 PM

3,978 posts, read 1,971,030 times
Quote:
i didn't post a thread to be told to call someone out.
I was an HVAC tech for 12 years. You have already been given enough suggestions here, on a random "House" forum, to more than likely diagnose the problem yourself.

But you still havent figured it out. Why? Because you do not have enough knowledge and/or experience to do it. I understand you may be frustrated, but calling a 3rd company may be the answer. OR, calling one of the first two companies back may be the answer.

Why?

Because every problem in a system does not always become immediately apparent, even with a seasoned professional tech, looking at it the first time. Sometimes, replacing the contactor and outside fan motor is only step #1 in a proper diagnosis/repair, and further problems will become obvous once the first problem is identified.

You are not an expert, and nobody on this forum has claimed to be either. Get over yourself and call one. And when they come out, be polite to them.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:04 PM

So it did it again toady. So temp on thermostat set to cool 80. Now the temperature on thermostat is going to 84 85 blowing hot air. the fan motor outside is still running and unit in garage is running. (its not in attic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House