Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:36 PM

670 posts, read 479,502 times

Advertisements

We live in a 3 story rowhome and our neighbors house is recently adding a third floor to their 2 story home. They are a house flipping company and they had like 20 construction workers on the job, throwing stuff all over the place, dust and debris all over my yard, hanging paint cans and bricks from the roof to keep on a tarp. It seemed very shady and sloppy to me and one of my neighbors actually did put in a complaint to city licensing and inspections. Saturday night we had a storm and water started coming in through our ceiling and out of the light sockets in our wall. Apparently the workers had left open the outside of our house so the insulation and wiring and such was exposed. We had police, fire, licensing etc. out to try and cover the area. Was a huge pain and waste of our weekend. Anyways, the house flipping company was very apologetic and said they will do everything to fix it. They had their construction company cut a hole in our wall and ceiling and put a dehumidifier on it and said it should be fine. Is this enough? They only cut a small 4 ft x 2 ft hole in our wall. They didn't check if other areas had water damage or anything and didn't remove the insulation. We called a mold company and they basically said the entire wall will need to be removed to check and all insulation should be removed. Are they trying to cut corners on this? We are also having our insurance come out Thurs to assess as well. Any suggestions or anyone have an issue similar to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 01:06 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Hire a public adjuster. Everyone else benefits if the repairs are minimal, even if they don't work. A public adjuster is a lot less expensive and more effective than an attorney.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:42 PM

Hmm that is a good suggestion. Would they essentially do the same thing as the insurance adjuster though? We just want someone to give an honest assessment and tell us what we need to do. If the house flipping company does not agree then will obviously have to take further steps. So far they have seemed pretty agreeable but obviously seems like they are trying to cut corners to save.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:23 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
The insurance adjuster works for the insurance company. The insurance company wants to get out cheap - it is their fiduciary responsibility to be cheap. You pay the public adjuster, the public adjuster works for you - full stop.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:50 PM

ok I see what you mean. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2017, 04:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
The probability of wet insulation raises all kinds of alarm bells for me. DON'T rely on an assessment paid for by the other insurance company.

Your own insurance company may not be totally reliable on this issue either. You can't discount the possibility that they would rather just hand you a chunk of money and tell you it's all good. Because suing the other guys is a pain.

Wet insulation could, over time, make you sick and destroy your house. Take it seriously.

Somewhere in this process, learn about your state's laws regarding liability for this kind of issue. You need your own knowledge base.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Let's start with the obvious-

The construction company erred and have accepted responsibility- half the battle is already won. The repairs will be covered by their general liability insurance.

That adjuster- as harry mentioned will "negotiate" a settlement that is in "their" best interest. But of course bringing a public adjuster in is for in "your" best interest. However, getting them to agree on any and everything is a different story- besides, everybody uses Exactimate today and it's always seems to be on the "low end" of estimating.

It's just a matter of how far they're (the construction co) willing to go, versus the "estimate". I think it would be in their best interest to go over and beyond to not only satisfy you, but it's in the best interest of their livelihood- word of mouth can speak volumes, especially if it's from you!

Old 07-25-2017, 08:30 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
The fact is that the company's workers damaged your property w/o your permission or even notifying you it was happening...
That is illegal---and suggests they are doing a crappy job w/the building of a 3rd level
Has the city been out to actually do any inspection of their work?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:05 AM

Yes the city inspector came by the night it happened and we sent him pictures and called and have yet to hear back. To make matters worse, my husband just came home to our pictures that were hanging on that wall cracked all over the floor, wedding photos and glass all over!! I have two cats who are probably scared out of their mind and not to mention they could have stepped in this. I guess I will call the city again! This is so frustrating. We have friends visiting this weekend and our house has holes all over the walls/ceiling and now destroyed pictures. So angry!!

Old 07-26-2017, 10:37 AM

186 posts, read 173,717 times
I would not let the flipping company complete any of the repairs on my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House