Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 02:57 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times

Advertisements

For example: I was shopping for dishwasher soap and there was a generic brand for half the price of a nationally known brand. Is the nationally known brand better for the price or what? Same with many items in a grocery store. I bought a store brand popping corn(pop corn) and it turned out better than other popular brands. I hope this makes sense. But I can't see spending twice the amount on something that might not be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:10 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
We try to stick to store brands whenever we can, and evaluate on a case by case basis. Usually we're ok, but on the occasion the store brand just doesn't cut it, we go back to the name brand.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:21 PM

32,633 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Some are the same, some are worse, some are better. All you can do is to buy one and try it out and see if you like it.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:41 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
...and there was a generic brand for half the price of a nationally known brand.
Is the nationally known brand better for the price or what?
Same with many items in a grocery store. I bought a store brand...
My experience is that the grocery STORE brand of an X is as good as the national brand of that X.
In most cases it's because they are all made on the same production line. LINK
Those big chains have too much at stake to play games with it all.

The "off brands" of things however tend to be more iffy both generally
and from one purchase cycle to another "last time this stuff worked great... this time it's crap")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
..to my budget it's like eating for free for 3 months of the year. That's a hard thing not to notice.
For me it's about not messing with coupons to get the same net price on an item.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-28-2017 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-28-2017, 03:43 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
I shop primarily Aldi (store) who sell pretty much ONLY their brand. You'll occasionally see a big advertising brand, but it's the exception and not the rule. Why? Because it cuts easily 25% of my weekly grocery bill, one that was as much store-brand as possible with Kroger/King Soopers/Fred Meyer (not sure who else they own). The products are as good as, or better than, pretty much anything else you can buy.

As you mentioned, popcorn comes to mind. The Aldi stuff is, hands down, the best microwave popcorn I've had. Not only does it taste great, but there are very few unpopped kernels.

I found it funny to look at the 2 different store brands and "major" brand products side by side. Center cut bacon is the one that stands out there. All 3 packages looked EXACTLY the same, and 2 of them even shared the same packaging info/hotline number. I mean, if you just glanced at the packaging you'd never know which was which.

I have yet to find a "worse" store brand vs major brand. Different, yes... but not worse. Even so, to my budget it's like eating for free for 3 months of the year. That's a hard thing not to notice.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:15 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
For example: I was shopping for dishwasher soap and there was a generic brand for half the price of a nationally known brand. Is the nationally known brand better for the price or what? Same with many items in a grocery store. I bought a store brand popping corn(pop corn) and it turned out better than other popular brands. I hope this makes sense. But I can't see spending twice the amount on something that might not be better.
Just look at Procter & Gamble. They use about 20% of their revenues for advertising and another 20% are profits. That explains why name brands often cost double the price.
Name brand manufacturers are far less focused on the production itself. Store brand products are mostly produced by less known manufacturers that don't have to please shareholders with profit margins of 20%. They are forced by large retail corporations to invest into the production process to achieve the position of cost leadership. It's cheaper to produce in state-of-the-art factories than in somewhat outdated ones.

There are constantly quality tests for dishwasher detergents. There seem to be always a few store brand detergents that are in front of well known name brand ones.
In the last test for non-compact laundry detergents, the Lidl one was rated best. The name brands Ariel and Lenor (both are from P&G) were rated worst. Why should I pay premium prices for low quality laundry detergent? That doesn't make sense at all.
But not every product from P&G is bad. The compact laundry detergent Ariel was rated second, but in front was the one from Aldi.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Depends, the best all purpose cleaner I have used is the dollar store brand Awesome.

Frozen french fries' on the other hand are a crap shoot, more like frozen itty bitty pieces of french fries if they are store brand. That seems to be the case with anything frozen or canned that is store brand. I think in that case you are actually getting the seconds that are too undersized for the brand name. Undoubtedly they can/freezeand label them for many different stores.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
We like our store brand pickles very well!

I think you just have to try stuff. Try the cheaper brand, and see if it works/tastes/looks the same. Then next time you buy, you'll know.

I always buy generic OTC med. Whenever possible, I spring for the store brand on those.

We buy national brand dishwasher detergent and HE washing liquid. I buy upscale brands of shampoo at Whole Foods.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We like our store brand pickles very well!
It's not the store brand but there is pickle brand where I shop much cheaper than the national brands, they are actually better IMO.

I care for an elderly relative and sometimes she drives me nuts with this stuff, she insists on good cheese. For me that means deli cheese and that's what I buy. For her that means nothing but processed Kraft singles. I bought the cheaper brand once and you'd swear the world was coming to an end. There is absolutely no difference, they both suck equally.

Short list of things I will not buy cheap:

Ketchup
Peanut Butter
Oils, in particular olive oil
Canned stuff
Frozen Stuff
Ice Cream

Old 07-30-2017, 04:39 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I recently bought Aldi's sweetened condensed milk for a key lime dessert recipe that I have made often. I noticed right away that the texture of the sweetened condensed milk was not the same as Eagle Brand, it was too thin. Sure enough the dessert did not set up right. So to save a buck by buying a store brand I ended up wasting my time and money on a failed dessert.

Other ingredients in that dessert were wasted, including two pounds of key limes and a pint of heavy cream.

Several years ago I had purchased Kroger brand sweetened condensed milk and it was grainy and thin, not thick and smooth like Eagle Brand.

Both Aldi and Kroger offer money back guarantees on their store brand products but that doesn't help when you are preparing a dessert that you need to serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House