Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 10:28 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times

Advertisements

My question is regarding slate colored appliances.

We are looking for a refrigerator. The kitchen is generally light, with white cabinetry and lighter colored granite, and a white-ish tile. The Range and Dishwasher are stainless, but have a lot of black on them (heavily tintend glass, black cook top, black instrument panel.)

We've found a couple of deals on slate colored models. The slate looks nice. I almost prefer it to stainless, as some stainless is hard to keep clean.

I'm trying to picture slate juxtaposed with the stainless appliances in the kitchen.

Has anyone seen this, or done it? What are your thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 10:34 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,283 times
I don't mind the look. My main concern would be that you would need to get the whole set, and it may be hard to find replacements in the future if people decide it was a fad.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:54 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The Range and Dishwasher are stainless, but have a lot of black on them (heavily tintend glass, black cook top, black instrument panel.)
1. Stainless steel

2. Black (I personally hate this color in a kitchen appliance but it would look good with the stainless steel with black)

Avoid the slate. It is a short-term fad, in my opinion -- like the harvest green! -- and will make your kitchen look dated sooner than the other options will.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
The wife had GE Slate appliances installed last year in her kitchen. Dishwasher, fridge, stove top, microwave, vent hood. She gets lots of compliments on it. I've got issues with 2 of them. The stove has the glass top. I cook with cast iron so I can't use the stove. I use the BBQ grille outside for my cooking. The fridge is a side by side. I HATE a side by side fridge. Yer always having to dig thru crap to get what you want. From a "looks" standpoint, it is an attractive appliance color. It stays clean, no finger prints, just a damp cloth cleans it like new. She's happy.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:25 PM

521 posts, read 733,113 times
I really like how the slate appliances look in someone else's home. However I wouldn't buy them for my house since would be worried about the color going out of style.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
1. Stainless steel

2. Black (I personally hate this color in a kitchen appliance but it would look good with the stainless steel with black)

Avoid the slate. It is a short-term fad, in my opinion -- like the harvest green! -- and will make your kitchen look dated sooner than the other options will.
I don't quarrel with your advice as I don't know if the slate is a fad or not. But I can vouch for the fact that the old avocado green (which is what I think you are referring to) was way too long lasting for me. I thought it would never go away. The other color I hated during the 1970s and beyond was harvest gold. Ugh!

Old 07-31-2017, 06:11 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Quote:
My question is regarding slate colored appliances.

We are looking for a refrigerator. The kitchen is generally light, with white cabinetry and lighter colored granite, and a white-ish tile. The Range and Dishwasher are stainless, but have a lot of black on them (heavily tintend glass, black cook top, black instrument panel.)
Based on this ^^^ sounds like either stainless or black would work fine.

Quote:
We've found a couple of deals on slate colored models. The slate looks nice. I almost prefer it to stainless, as some stainless is hard to keep clean.

I'm trying to picture slate juxtaposed with the stainless appliances in the kitchen.

Has anyone seen this, or done it? What are your thoughts?
The slate is a better deal than black or stainless steel? I'm surprised. From what I've seen locally and online, stainless steel and slate are typically the most expensive for appliances with black or white a bit less ($50 or $100 less depending on the appliance). Sometimes they're all the same price, but I do see the price differential frequently. (Just checked Home Depot -- for one popular model, SS and slate were $90 more than black or white. That's the kind of price differential I've remembered seeing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
1. Stainless steel

I am the opposite, Meemur -- I LOVE black appliances and HATE stainless steel. Stainless steel looks very cold to me and I want my kitchen to be warm and inviting. I would go with white over stainless steel, but I will likely get ivory cabinets for my kitchen remodel so black will look better than white.

OP, I think the slate is pretty but seems to be a fad. Who knows, maybe it will be a "fad" that lasts 20 years!

Old 08-02-2017, 11:27 AM

389 posts, read 596,116 times
I renovated my kitchen recently and did the GE Stainless appliances. I believe GE is the only brand that makes Slate. It would be hard to match up if one appliance breaks down and GE discontinues it. Plus I have a stainless Kenmore gas downdraft cooktop (GE doesn't make one in stainless or slate, only black/white).

Another thing I really liked were the black stainless appliances by LG, Samsung, and Kenmore. But I decided that stainless steel is the easiest to match up and wanted GE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House