Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:24 PM

106,649 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

in wall subs can suck ; especially poorly designed ones . the space the sub is contained in has more influence than the driver used does . but op has their mind made up regardless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 03:35 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Alexander Graham Bell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
OP,

I too am building a new single-family home, and I considered multiple brands of in-wall home theater systems. I eventually decided against putting anything in-wall.

It's just my opinion, and it certainly depends on how long you plan to live in the home (we plan on staying in ours for 10+ years at least), but with the rate of technological advancement in home theater systems, in 10 or 20 years I don't want to be stuck with either 1) old-school, low-tech speakers in my wall or 2) desperately trying to find new-tech replacement speakers that happen to exactly fit the holes that are already there so I don't have tons of big patches in my walls.

I totally understand the low-profile, unobtrusive thing. I just wouldn't want to be stuck without viable alternatives when (not if) your speaker technology becomes outdated.
The basics of how speakers work have not changed since the 1870s -- the current deflects a coil that reacts to a magnetic field and moves a cone.

The differences between low tech speakers that require more power and tend to have physical issues that lead to distortion and higher tech speakers that are more efficient and accurate generally comes down to the quality of the materials used -- the cones themselves in low tech speakers are cheap paper, those in high tech speakers are made of super thin plastics and /or unique metal foils laminated together with nano-particles or formed in vacuum chambers. The various magnets themselves in high tech speakers are made out of materials that have far greater "gauss density" so that the coils can move far more quickly than with older lower density types. Even the surrounds on high tech speakers are superior -- the high tech rubber surrounds allow much greater excursion than older folded paper or cheap foam between the cone and structural basket. The engineering that goes into even the non-moving parts of in-wall speakers, like the basket, is critical for accurate sound and rattle free installation, needless to say the high tech firms use custom designed baskets, often cast out of rigid alloys that can be attached to the inner supports of ceilings or walls as tightly as is possible, while the junk speakers have stamped metal with cheap plastic mounts that are impossible to securely mount.

The fact is all the quality manufacturers end up charging MORE for quality in-wall speakers than they do for similar "box" speakers because of the added stresses that happen during installation and use. That is true even for firms like Axiom that have a direct sales model... The reasons for that premium include the FACT that because there is no ENCLOSURE that can be tuned at the factory for the best response the in-wall speakers are far more sensitive to placement and thus need to have means to aim the tweeters for realistic imaging.

Anybody building a new home ought to be very cautious about what they're spending but once you make a decision to have built-in AV equipment using garbage is going to be negative that far exceeds any "bargain"...

Old 08-18-2017, 03:39 PM

106,649 posts, read 108,790,719 times
getting good sound from subs is all about controlling the resonance of the speaker . the enclosure air space and design does that . without proper design all you will hear is one noet bass as the speakers resonance frequency is all you hear .

everyone will sound like scott muni , the radio dj with that super low voice.

john from janis went through 50 enclosure designs before finding one that worked well .

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/act...html#SUBWOOFER

Old 08-19-2017, 09:05 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default There are faster ways to get things correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
getting good sound from subs is all about controlling the resonance of the speaker . the enclosure air space and design does that . without proper design all you will hear is one noet bass as the speakers resonance frequency is all you hear .

everyone will sound like scott muni , the radio dj with that super low voice.

john from janis went through 50 enclosure designs before finding one that worked well .

ACTIVE LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM: Subwoofer, Construction, Cabinets, Electronic X-OVER LUXKIT 2003 Amplifiers, Units.
Lots of the details were worked out long ago by those who could do the math -- Speakers: Cabinets

There are free programs for DIY speaker builders that are even available online Closed Sealed Speaker Box Software Online Enclosure Design With Frequency Power Graph

The issue is not just the formulae, it's about getting drivers that are consistent, then getting the enclosure built so it actually holds together while the driver is moving air, and then details about baffles and a dozen other characteristics in the electrical realm. As I said before, if the driver is garbage things are NEVER going to be consistent: a subwoofer with inconsistent characteristics will make a gun shot sound like a ping pong ball in one scene, a tenor sound like a bass; fighter jets like dump trucks..

The solution: get a subwoofer from a firm that has sourced good drivers, has a system for building compatible, got all the electronics matched out and all do is enjoy...

Old 07-31-2019, 01:34 PM

11 posts, read 7,232 times
I bought a wireless subwoofer. I trusted the information in this blog - https://geeklah.com/best-wireless-subwoofer.html
I chose Klipsch R-10SWi I really like it. The sound is good, the price is adequate. This is certainly not the best option, but very good for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House