Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 01:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You ask about modular, but you're fixing to buy a manufactured. I've been in some very nice modular homes, and some half decent manufactured homes. I'd buy a modular, but not a manufactured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That link is for a MANUFACTURED home not MODULAR. Totally different type of housing. A MANUFACTURED home is essentially what was once called a trailer. A MODULAR home is stick built in a factory and brought to the site and assembled. MANUFACTURED homes depreciate like a car. You can't just put one anywhere either due to zoning. They're very hard to sell later. Their value drops like a rock. I would never buy a MANUFACTURED home.

I have owned a MODULAR home. I didn't build it. You could not tell it was modular from the outside or even the inside. You had to go into to the basement to see where the pieces were attached. It was a 2 story center hall colonial. I lived there for 9 years until we relocated. We'd build a modular without a doubt.
To clear up the above <bold>, most ANY Manufactured plan can be built as a Modular. I've spoken with Champion and pretty much all the others while looking into a Modular and that is what they all said.

Same exact floor plan just different blue prints and building specs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 01:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
To clear up the above <bold>, most ANY Manufactured plan can be built as a Modular. I've spoken with Champion and pretty much all the others while looking into a Modular and that is what they all said.

Same exact floor plan just different blue prints and building specs...
Not every company builds modular though. There are companies who only do manufactured. These are details that one must get in writing in their contract and review it.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:41 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Not knowing anything about your particular company, I have seen a couple of shows featuring factory built homes, and they are built to precise standards. More so than a house built in place.

If you can watch the This Old House season that built a factory home, its very good.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:03 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I want the ones built to local building codes and not HUD. The easiest way to tell is usually the roof pitch. HUD grade manufactured stuff usually has less of a slope on the roof, shorter eaves, and of course its transported on a metal frame with an HUD plate on it. My 1978 home was a modular but built better than many of the stick built homes in the area at the time. Ops is a manufactured home and not a modular. Says so right on the webpage. Having lived in both, I prefer not having an HUD dwelling or governors house but I suppose in many areas the land is worth more than what's on it and it would depend on the price being asked, etc. I personally would not buy one of these new and would pay more to get a modular or just buy a regular home that's older and updated.

These depreciate hard and fast unless you're in a hot real estate market. You can try to dress them up with basements and the like but the guts are still based on HUD. Another clue... Vaulted ceilings with no attic space... Not a fan of vaulted ceilings where I don't have an attic space to inspect the framing and insulation, though they do make stick built with vaulted ceilings, I don't buy these. . I'm a building code nut and like things a certain way. I have R-60 insulation in my attic space and proper attic ventilation and everything looks good as new up there.

Last edited by sholomar; 08-23-2017 at 06:28 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 08:33 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
The picture the OP linked to is clearly a doublewide mobile home, as the colloquial parlance would call it. You can see there is a single straight wall all the way down, exactly half the width, so it divides into two parts each 13 feet wide.

If you want this, go for it. If you think it will fool you, or anyone else, into believing it's a standard house, you are dead wrong.

If you have acreage in the country and you don't care about appearances, it can be a reasonable choice.

The OP refers to it as a "dream house". Few people would consider this to be a "dream house" - but, if you offered me this building on 2 acres overlooking a beach on Maui, that would be a different kettle of humuhumunukunukuapua'a.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:19 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times
Nice to see some things never change. Thirty five years ago I had new double wide and everyone told me how inferior it was to their house, even if theirs was a dilapidated dump, and now the same old prejudices are still there. If the OP wants it as her dream house, don't rain on her parade.
There are obvious downsides to owning one, mostly financing and of course attitudes. We had a hard time selling ours because there weren't many banks willing to finance, but as I get nearer to retirement and downsizing I would consider a modular house under the right circumstances.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:16 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
heres my input to the discussion, I used to lurk looking at these amazing modular homes:

http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/fablisthome.htm

someday when we venture out into the country again, I will try one!

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 08-24-2017 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: better info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House