Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 02:16 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times

Advertisements

My new house has 20" x 20" filters for the climate control system. The manufacturer installed a single 2" thick filter, which has to be replaced due to the continued construction in the neighborhood. The local hardware stores do not carry 20x20 filters, but Costco has them, but only 1" thick.

What would be the negatived ramifications if I were install two of the 1" filters? Will the air flow be restricted to the point of causing the system motors to overload and fail?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 04:18 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Do not use two 1" filters as it will do harm to the system. If you are going to go in the direction, buy one (cheap furnace filter) and remove the filter from the frame and forever leave that frame in the handler and then from that time forward purchase 20x20x1 filters to put next to it.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:58 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My new house has 20" x 20" filters for the climate control system. The manufacturer installed a single 2" thick filter, which has to be replaced due to the continued construction in the neighborhood. The local hardware stores do not carry 20x20 filters, but Costco has them, but only 1" thick.

What would be the negatived ramifications if I were install two of the 1" filters? Will the air flow be restricted to the point of causing the system motors to overload and fail?
1" will still work, but it will have much less surface area & might be too restrictive because of the media.

Best bet is to order filters online - way cheaper & you can get exactly the right ones.

I prefer the 4" Honeywell filters myself.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell...yABEgKOO_D_BwE

Old 08-24-2017, 07:51 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Thank you for the help and advice. Don't think there is room for a 4" filter. One 3" would fit. For now, I'll just go with a single 1" filter, and resolve to change it more often. Thanks again.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-24-2017, 09:04 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Quote:
Thank you for the help and advice. Don't think there is room for a 4" filter. One 3" would fit. For now, I'll just go with a single 1" filter, and resolve to change it more often. Thanks again.
You realize that the poor fit will mean that you will be drawing in air that bypasses the ductwork? If the unit is in a garage or similar un-conditioned space you will be sucking in LOTS of air that has not been cooled. That will result in much higher utility costs and could eventually cause the unit fail.

Is it really that hard to order the proper filters online?

Old 08-24-2017, 07:58 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Lightbulb Get Odd sizes like 20x20x2 filters at HomeDepot website (free shipping, either directly to your home or "Ship to Store")

Quote:
What would be the negatived ramifications if I were install two of the 1" filters?
As said, do not stack filters, too much airflow restriction.

The filter support on my furnace can accept either a single 1" filter or a single 2", manual says that if you choose to use the 2" filter you can change the filter less frequently.

Quote:
You can get 20x20x2 filters via Home Depot with free shipping, either directly to your home or "Ship to Store"

I get my 2" filters through Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
You realize that the poor fit will mean that you will be drawing in air that bypasses the ductwork? If the unit is in a garage or similar un-conditioned space you will be sucking in LOTS of air that has not been cooled. That will result in much higher utility costs and could eventually cause the unit fail.
Depends on the design -- on many systems the filter area is fully enclosed; even using a poorly fitted filter, air wouldn't bypass the ductwork, just the filter itself. Still less than optimal.

Mine looks kind of like this:

It sits on the frame just from gravity (and suction, when running). The slot is big enough for 2" but also accepts 1" thickness.

Last edited by volosong; 08-25-2017 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: fixed open quote hyptertag

Old 08-25-2017, 11:31 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I'd just get the proper size.

https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Pure-2...filter+20x20x2

Old 08-27-2017, 10:17 PM

166 posts, read 145,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This is what I was going to suggest.
The big box stores sometimes have them, but not always, so we buy double packs at Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House