Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 11:00 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am looking for a 4 pc outdoor patio furniture set.
With a sofa, two chairs and a table.
Any recommendations?

I saw bunch of models and reviews on Amazon, but I probably trust this forum more.

What is the recommended price range to look at?
I see these 4 pc sets are sold on Amazon for only $175-200. Seems like Home Depot and Lowe's sell same stuff for about $450 or so.
If anyone had a chance to compare those sets from Home Depot and Amazon? Is there any real difference?
Thanks in advance for the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 11:17 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
My sister purchased a big set from Costco and she is very happy with her set. I didn't need as many pieces as I just wanted to furnish a side porch. I purchased a loveseat, chair and a table from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Crosley-Furni...MS84WV4SRR2TQ7

So far, we really like what we purchased. The downside is that you have to assemble it. It is made from a resin wicker so hopefully it will hold up but we have only had it for a couple of months and the side porch is covered.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:18 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Go for Quality

Room & Board
Montego
stainless steel, ipé and Sunbrella fabric
https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog...-with-cushions

Old 08-24-2017, 12:32 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Forget the price-
As the ol' sayin' goes, "you get what you pay for!"

Look at the materials used. Frames should be aluminum or stainless with preferably welded joints instead of mechanical joints; finishes, powder-coated; other materials/fabrics, UV protected.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:21 PM

Thanks everyone. Regarding the materials I would prefer woven plastic. For most other applications I would definitely choose metal, but not here. And I am not impressed how those aluminum frame sofas look. In my opinion they don't look pretty. Those plastic models surprisingly are more appealing to me.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:01 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Thanks everyone. Regarding the materials I would prefer woven plastic. For most other applications I would definitely choose metal, but not here. And I am not impressed how those aluminum frame sofas look. In my opinion they don't look pretty. Those plastic models surprisingly are more appealing to me.

You ask for recommendations then disregard the advice because you don't like the look...

C'est la vie!

Old 08-24-2017, 07:40 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Lightbulb Costco FTW

I have three pieces of Polywood® outdoor furniture, only the cushions come inside in the winter. They hold up very well to the elements.

Quote:
I see these 4 pc sets are sold on Amazon for only $175-200. Seems like Home Depot and Lowe's sell same stuff for about $450 or so.
If anyone had a chance to compare those sets from Home Depot and Amazon? Is there any real difference?
Just look at the shipped weight of the 4pc set sold on Amazon, compare it to the weight of a similar set from a local store.

We have two local chains here which carry mostly the higher end brands, there is definitely a difference in quality compared to the cheapest makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
My sister purchased a big set from Costco and she is very happy with her set.
Good idea -- with Costco, if the quality doesn't meet your standards, return for a cash refund.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You ask for recommendations then disregard the advice because you don't like the look...

C'est la vie!
I appreciate all the recommendations.
This is my mistake: I didn't clarify in the beginning that I am looking primarily for the plastic and maybe wood. But not aluminum. I saw different aluminum models, didn't like at all.

I will definitely check at Costco.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
We bought our set from a local non-chain store. Painted steel (so-called "wrought iron"). It has held up well but has usually been undercover. It's about 25 years old now and we are just starting to get some small rust spots. Most of the steel sets offer a glider/sofa as well, though we did not get one of these. If you want something that has a timeless look, consider this.

It probably won't be available in big box stores and you will have to deal with non-chain stores.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:36 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Hello!
I am looking for a 4 pc outdoor patio furniture set.
With a sofa, two chairs and a table.
Any recommendations?

I saw bunch of models and reviews on Amazon, but I probably trust this forum more.

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Tropitone. You get what you pay for. I have to buy enough Chinese stuff without putting more on my deck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House