Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 07:59 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,750 times

Advertisements

I went out to stain my newish fence today so just to check absorbency, I squirted water on a few boards and the water was sucked right in. It's been out a month. But when I stained the first one all of this greenish blobs cover about 50% of the board and are definitely repelling the stain. You can even seen the green through as it is semi-transparent. I was in the shade so initially didn't notice. So I stopped. I test sanded on another board and the green waxy substance turns white but doesn't seem likely to come off unless done with a machine. And I've never read anywhere about people needing to sand fences. But I'm a newbie on this.

I don't feel I can wait as some of the boards are already trying to warp but at least 50% of the boards of 60 feet have this.
I searched everywhere and I can't seem to find the answer. Any suggestions?
I realize it is probably chemicals or wax but how do I fix it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 08:04 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
Sounds like dried sap. You might have to prime, and then go with a solid stain. Just a guess, as you have no photos posted.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:54 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
If the fence is already up, staining will all but destroy the wood. The issue is you can't stain the 4 sides, top and bottom. You can usually only stain one side, sometimes both sides but you can't stain the bottom. I can assure you that the pickets will get so incredibly crooked that you'll think you've been robbed. The problem is when it rains, the wood will absorb the water. But it can only get out on the parts that did not get stained. This causes uneven drying and the warpage.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:27 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Pressure-treated dog-eared pickets are usually cut from "sapwood". By your description it sounds like you got some that have high levels of sap- the green is the preservative.

Not really a lot you can do about it- but the darker the stain/sealer, the less likely you are to notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House