Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 02:54 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One thing I have learned is never will everyone be happy....
Yep, people always seem to want technical solutions to people problems. I find that in my current field of technical security engineering also.

Quote:
Growing up the only time the house was heated was when we had company for Christmas... never lived in a home with A/C
You must have been raised in a temperate climate. No heat in the winter would have not flown in northern Minnsota where I was raised, lol!

Quote:
I have been known to leave inactive thermostats up just so people have something to adjust...
I have not only left inactive stats up, I have actively installed them!
For the cost, they just work too well not to do it, IMO. Johnstone Supply was a vendor I would use often, and they would advertise inexpensive false thermostats (they called them "dummy stats") for this very purpose. I would put one in a problem common area that had repeated calls for service, and once I determined it was a thermostat war, or just a fussy person, I would track my follow up rates for return service calls drop off actively.

I worked for a flat salary, and did not get paid for these annoyance calls, so I was very interested in keeping them to a minimum as they only wasted my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 03:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Yep... mild climate... Oakland seldom ever has a hard freeze and no one in my neighborhood as A/C

One office was to bad that I replaced the energy management system with simple stats with a 68 to 74 range... that ended my nightmare as "Anyone" could raise or lower just as well I could...

Old 08-27-2017, 04:07 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
...One trick I soon learned was to install a second analog thermostat at the air handler (in series with the first), so I could control the lowest setpoint with that. People could crank the accessible inside thermostat as low as they wanted, but the second one secretly installed at the air handler would actually be setting the lowest available setpoint. ...
^^^ This.

This is a great 'low tech' solution. I've used the 'in series' thermostat at the other end of the cycle, for controlling the heat during the winter in a cold-weather climate.

During the winter I'd find thermostats on 90° but windows wide open. The windows closed once the 'back-up' thermostat was set at 74°.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:47 PM

199 posts, read 183,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
If you pay for the utilities, then just lock the thermostat with a PIN and don't let them to go below 73. I don't understand people running it at 65 when it is 95 outside.
Because they want the temperature at 65 and not 73.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:58 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Just raise your rates.

When I was a kid, we traveled a lot. The first thing my dad did in every hotel room was crank the AC as cold as it would go, because that's what he was comfortable with and it was "already paid for" in the cost of the room.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:10 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
The reason I don't want to do a set and lock type thing is I like it at 75. But I have no problem with people who want to run it at 70 or at 77. (I've met folks who like both.)

The nest does reset the temperature when people are gone (not in the house) so when there are no renters there it is at 77.

The renters got back to my property manager and said it was cooling the house to 65, as that is the way they like it. The AC is working fine. Whew!!! That would have been really expensive. The renters did say at home they keep their house in Alabama at 63 in the summer. They apparently have way more money than I do.
I cannot tell you how many a/c people I've talked to over the years who tell me not to expect to be able to cool my house more than 20 degrees from the outside air. I don't know how hot it gets in Alabama, but here in SW Florida if I set my thermostat to 63 (96 degrees outside with high humidity) I think the a/c would break down before it dropped the temperature over 30 degrees.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:51 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
What does it being a Nest thermostat have to do with anything other than the fact that you can see what temperature it's set at even when you aren't there? Would you be preventing them from changing the temperature if you had a standard thermostat in there?

Or are you trying to ask a question about Nest functionality and whether you can lock the thermostat? I'm not sure about that (although I did have a Nest) but I would feel the same way about that as I would if you put a regular thermostat into a cage like they have at some workplaces so people can't touch it. If I rented someplace from airBnB and couldn't adjust the temperature for my comfort level, you'd better believe I'd be complaining and leave a really bad review!

Old 08-28-2017, 09:23 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
You could always put it in the ad to please kindly keep the T-stat temp between X and Y. Not everyone may listen but some people would. Then maybe put a small note near the T-stat reminding them to keep it between X and Y.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:35 PM

492 posts, read 638,067 times
I'm considering raising the rates next year by $100 a month, but refunding renters $25 a week if they keep the thermostat above 72 in the summer time. If they want to go wild on the thermostat its covered. But for those more interested in the environment would be rewarded.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:56 AM

492 posts, read 638,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Just raise your rates.

When I was a kid, we traveled a lot. The first thing my dad did in every hotel room was crank the AC as cold as it would go, because that's what he was comfortable with and it was "already paid for" in the cost of the room.
I often use Airbnb when I travel. I like staying in homes, but at no time do I assume it is anything other than someone else's home, where I am a guest. Perhaps I'm naive, but how long would someone hold onto their good guest rating, which would enable them to book their next stay, if they went into it trying to ensure their hosts lose money on their stay.

I'm mulling over raising the rates or putting in the information a blurb on please keep the AC/Heat set reasonably. But I do know that guests that insist on setting the AC at 65 when it is 90 out won't be returning to my house next year. I don't break even on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House