U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,715 times

Advertisements

Hope everyone lives in Houston and TX coast are safe after the Hurricane Harvey. Compare to so many people who lost their homes, I am the lucky one although had some leaks after the Harvey move out my area.

I had my entire roof replaced in 2016 spring. Everything seems fine until this year June. We have a additional living room(1st floor) the wall shape like half hexagon and stick out,each side has a window. It has a small roof on it. The roof is stick out and attached to the front brick wall. I noticed the ceiling under that section had a water stain and some places is grey.(after the rain). But I am not sure when it happened at the first time. The water stain is on the ceiling, joint between the ceiling and dry wall and a little pot above the middle of the window and on the upright corner of that window. I called the roofing company, they came the next day and checked the wet wall and he got on that small section of the roof. He told me it's not the roof issue, the leak was caused by the the missing/cracked mortar between the bricks around the window sill above that roof.

I asked a handy man got up there used the cement filled up those cracker. After that I still saw the minor leak water mark extended from the original ones. I called the roof company again, he said I need to check with the handyman who did the mortar fix. If he come again it will be $60 charge. For that, I did my exterior house power wash, repair, caulk and paint. I asked the contractor caulk the all the windows(some windows have black screen outside, somes don't). ---The leaking side is facing north, I had black screen outside the window. They didn't take off the screen, just caulked around the screen.

I was planed to have the window guy take of the black screen and check all the windows and caulk the windows then put the black screen back on afterwards on Fri. But Harvey came on Fri. So I had to cancel it.

Harvey made the landfall on Fri. We are on the east side. Raining very hard on Fri. Sat. and on and off on Sun. I checked the leak place, didn't see much change from the water stain (I mark the stain). I am kinda excited and thought the leak issue may get solve and just need to caulk the window after the storm. Then
Monday Harvey move to the east, we are on the west side, Monday rained the whole day whole night. Today just got the break, I went down stair to check that spot, I saw the almost the whole wall is soak. carpet under neath is pretty damp, the dry wall between the window is about 1-1.5feet, almost half of that place is wet and the water goes down all the way from the corner to the floor, soak the baseboard and water mark running above the baseboard. The water stain on the ceiling is much bigger and it connected to the wet spot on the vertical dry wall above the window. I had few wet spot is not connected. One is above the middle of the window, one is at the upper right corner of the window. the other wet spot is showing round the outlet on another dry wall. --I even got a new wet spot on the other side of the ceiling. so right now 2 spots, one on the right side is very bad, the other one on the left side just started showing.

I guess it must has something to do with the wind direction. I went up stair to check the up window, I did see the window sill is puffed and had water mark stream from the upper corner of the window down to the window sill and also the same side had water stream from the lower corner of the window down to the base board.---but I also noticed there is a horizontal water mark along the baseboard under the window. carpet is not wet or damp though.

I am so frustrated. I don't know if not caulking the window(they do caulk the black screen outside the window, all the way) would cause such a big leak, even the carpet is pretty damp on the first floor.

Sorry, I hope whoever read this post has the patience to read the whole thing. I don't know how to post the pictures, otherwise it will be much easier to show the leak. Any expert or people has similar experience can give me an idea, if this is cause by the window or still the roof, flashing leaking? Really appreciate.

***the roof part shape like /---\, they use the original metal flashing. one side is against the brick wall, but the other side is under the shingles. I thought my old roof the other side of the metal flashing was on the shingles, but I am not 100% sure.

***refer the roof shape /---\, the dry wall shape is __/---\___ under the middle section so far no problem, only the base board upstairs shows horizontal water stain above the baseboard, which from the outside looks like where the flashing was at. The worse leak side is "\", the water ran down the joint"\_" this time all the way to the floor. The left side "/" ceiling just show another wet spot after the hurricane.

Any information is big help. thank you very much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,715 times
sorry, I think I drew the wrong shape of the roof, it should look like \__/. "___"side is against the brick wall.

**also, the leak and water mark only get worse after the rain. some times not much, some times get worse. But the last couple days is really bad. I put a chair under the ceiling so I can get on and check the water marks. It even had water drop on the chair.

Thank you!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House