Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:18 PM

20 posts, read 122,940 times

Advertisements

We are building a new house and have the option of adding a central Vac. It will add around 3000-4000 to the cost. We never had a central vac before and were wondering if it was worth the cost. If you have it, do you use it ? and how efficient and user friendly is it? The house we are building is a 2 storey house, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for all the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 04:22 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I've never had one but I can tell you that I am having a hell of a time finding a good and efficient vacuum cleaner. The really good ones cost like $500 and thats alot of money. If you can get a good home system then that would be a good thing to have rather then having to go from vacuum cleaner to vacuum cleaner.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:40 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
that price is a bit steep, but they are amazing! I have not touched my Dyson since moving to the new house that has central vac. I also got the vac dustpan in the kitchen, just sweep anything towards it and kick the switch, instantly pulled to the cannister.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:41 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
that price is a bit steep, but they are amazing! I have not touched my Dyson since moving to the new house that has central vac. I also got the vac dustpan in the kitchen, just sweep anything towards it and kick the switch, instantly pulled to the cannister.
I have heard of those kitchen things, how awesome would that be?
I have cats and we live in Florida, my daughter comes home with sand in her shoes and clothes after PE sometimes. I would LOVE to have something that convenient.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:25 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,160 times
I don't have one, but my mom does - I don't care for it, but she loves it.

Carrying all that huge hose around is not fun.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:13 AM

20 posts, read 122,940 times
Thanks a lot for all the advice... I like the idea of the kitchen dust pan, but I am not so sure about lugging the hose around.

Any prefered brands?

Old 03-15-2008, 04:57 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
My parents have one and I wish we did. They LOVE the kitchen dust pan. Great for dog hair as well. I have a Dyson, which is nice and works great, but I like the idea of having a hose on each floor for the central vac and not having to carry a vac cleaner from floor to floor. I think they are well worth the money and we will probably install one after our many other projects, lol! (new spare bath, new master bath, new kitchen, new HVAC...)

Old 03-15-2008, 07:19 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
We moved into a house that already has one and I don't like it for the rugs. I don't feel it has the brush/beat power of my Orek. It's fine on floors though.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
We moved into a house that already has one and I don't like it for the rugs. I don't feel it has the brush/beat power of my Orek. It's fine on floors though.
I wonder if you have the type of vac head that I do? My central vac is very powerful and has 2 different heads . . . one for steps that is terrific - has a "beater brush" that works very well.

If your central vac is not many times stronger in suction than your vac (any vac) then something doesn't sound right . . . might need a stronger unit or a different hose/heads . . . just a thought.

As far as liking a central vac system, I love mine. I have had many friends over the years who had a system and I was thrilled to move into a house that had been piped for central vac. We added our own unit and bought the hose/attachments and have been more than pleased w/ what a wonderful job it does. Plus, w/ a bad back, it has really made cleaning the stairs much easier.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:54 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
Default Remember outlet placement!

I've lived in two houses that had central vac. The first house - I used it all the time and loved it .. dragging a long hose wasn't a problem for me at all, and I felt the vac head performed well on both carpet (low pile) and bare floor (btw, two story house with lots of cat and dog hair and a very "busy" child). The second house - never ever used it because the outlets were placed in such odd spots that they ended up behind furniture and out of reach. You have an advantage since you're in a new-build, and if you go with central vac, you should think about exact outlet placements and where you won't want to place furniture.

As for cost, something to consider is how many stand-alone vacuum cleaners will you purchase over the course of the years -- I'm on my 4th in 15 years (two died, two were underperformers). I've spent close to $2000 already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House