Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:30 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,463,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If you must have a shed, and that is the only place, that is your answer.

But it's tacky to leave a window that looks into a shed, or smack onto the wall of a shed. So I would close that window in with drywall. Is that the only window in the room? If so, that will be a big problem, if and when you try to sell the house.

But having a window looking into a shed or onto a shed wall is equally a big problem, when you go to sell it.

All that means is the house will be, maybe, somewhat depreciated on the market, and there will be fewer potential buyers. But all you need is one guy who loves the pool and patio, and needs a shed for his stuff, so prefers a shed but no window in the bedroom.
Is it any more "tacky" than one that looks onto the neighbor's fence?

Without seeing the specific arrangement or knowing the zoning code requirements, I don't know if this suggestion is possible or not. Is it possible to build a "lean-to" type storage attached to the side of the house? This way you could work around the window. This may make the set-back too small to be acceptable, but with a little thought or planning, it could be made to look attractive and not like an afterthought.

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/lean-to-shed/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 08:41 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,169,762 times
I've seen garage storage options that make use of all the space near the ceiling. Might be an option for you. I also wouldn't sheetrock over the window. Just put up some shades/blinds and a nice curtain over that window. Last option - go through all of the stuff you want to store to see if you really need all of it. You mentioned you have palm trees in your backyard so I'm assuming you live someplace warm. Be careful what you store in the shed. I had some Christmas stuff actually melt from the heat.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:04 PM

6,312 posts, read 4,772,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3supraholic View Post
I should add that this is really the only unused space i have the rest of my back yard is swimming pools and palm trees and patio
I suggest you check your building codes with regard to blocking a window.

You don't want to install something and end up getting fined for it and have to remove it.

If there is no code issue, then it is entirely up to you if you want to block the window.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,931,652 times
I would not block a window in a room that was lived in. I'd find another way to get storage.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:32 PM

89 posts, read 112,126 times
I drew a quick little layout so you can get an idea of what im talking about.

not really to scale but it should allow you to invision my delima.

Thanks,

http://imgur.com/a/crmNC

Old 09-11-2017, 12:40 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,473,972 times
Quote:
I drew a quick little layout ...
In case it wasn't clear from my earlier posts...
what are you storing that is so large that you need a 9'x5' space?
A lawn tractor would fit inside that.

Think again and actually look at narrower storage ----> LINK
Two or more WALL MOUNTED cabinets and similar.

A tall one for the long handled tools; and a smaller one for the smaller items; etc;
And of course jettisoning the things you really don't need.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:29 PM

14,314 posts, read 11,797,987 times
Quote:

Thanks,

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
I say go for it. If it's so close to the window to be unsightly, get a really big piece of artwork to hang on the wall.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,510,406 times
Quote:

Thanks,

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
You need to contact your town and see if you can put a shed so close to your property line. Looks like you have a fenced in yard based on this graphic. Most towns/cities/villages have a minimum that structures including fences must be from the property line. Where I live, we can't have a fence within 2 feet of our property line and all buildings must be at least 15 feet from the property line. We also need a permit to put in a shed. You'll need to check if you need a permit as well.

Would I block a window of my house with a shed? Nope. An even bigger nope since you already have 1 shed on your property. I'd start cleaning out the other shed, garage, and house first.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:04 AM

89 posts, read 112,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You need to contact your town and see if you can put a shed so close to your property line. Looks like you have a fenced in yard based on this graphic. Most towns/cities/villages have a minimum that structures including fences must be from the property line. Where I live, we can't have a fence within 2 feet of our property line and all buildings must be at least 15 feet from the property line. We also need a permit to put in a shed. You'll need to check if you need a permit as well.

Would I block a window of my house with a shed? Nope. An even bigger nope since you already have 1 shed on your property. I'd start cleaning out the other shed, garage, and house first.

where are you getting that i have a shed already? I have no shed. We have no such requirements, Sheds only need to be permitted if they are over 120 sqft and the Fence is the property line separating my side yard to my neighbors side yard.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:06 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,164,166 times
Lots of people default to "oh, run down to town hall and ask if pretty please you can do this or that".

Just put the darn shed where you want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House