Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 12:02 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times

Advertisements

The microwave was here when we bought the house. Shortly afterwards we remodeled the kitchen. When we did the backsplash, they tiled up to the bracket for the microwave. Well, the microwave died. First thing i found out was that white appliances are not popular so almost all of the microwaves I looked at needed to be ordered and shipped. I found one in stock at Lowes and purchased it and that's when I realized that the newer microwaves are about an inch longer than my old one.

I went in search of a 16" microwave and found one, stainless, Fridgidare with not so great reviews. I had some really bad luck with Fridgidare appliances in the past so I really didn't want to buy that one.

Also, my house was built in 1976 and has a fairly small galley kitchen so counter space is not abundant. I bought a used countertop microwave on craigslist to get us through until we figure out what to do but I am not happy with its taking up so much space on the counter.

So what do I do? The tile is travertine set in a diagonal pattern, so I can't just remove the top layer. The cabinet above goes all the way to the ceiling, so it can't be raised.

Anyone ever have this problem or can suggest a solution? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 12:05 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Sometimes it is a simple repair.

I've been given dead GE under cabinet models that needed nothing more than a fuse of a door switch.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Sometimes it is a simple repair.

I've been given dead GE under cabinet models that needed nothing more than a fuse of a door switch.
It was a Samsung with a bad panel. Possibly could have repaired it, but it's too late now since I had it hauled off.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:59 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,119 times
A pic would be great! When you say "longer" do you mean the height, width or depth? Is it possible to build and/or install a shelf above the stove that would allow you to continue to use a counter model?

I, too, have an over-the-stove microwave and am on my second unit, they just don't build 'em like they used to! Installation costs are high for the over-stove models and unless you are a Hercules DIY'er or have a very strong handy-person, they are a pain to install! I swore when this one goes I'm converting to a vent over the stove, or install a shelf with smaller counter unit -- the electrical outlet is already there. Over-the-stove models are convenient but I am so tired of the headache of replacing. By all means, try to repair if you can on your next unit, I know you've already sent the broken one on to the microwave heap!

Also, like you I had back splash tile installed and it's not behind the micro either, only up to the bottom. I think I could get a small open front cabinet built to that area's size specifications...let's just hope this one doesn't die on me for a while!

Old 09-06-2017, 01:47 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
A Dremel will cut the tile easy enough that you could hire the job out to a good handyman or tile company. They would probably charge a couple hundred bucks and the handyman may even install the microwave.

Please don't do the shelf idea some people suggest. You need the fan and if you sold without a fan there you will have to deal with it at that time anyway.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
A pic would be great! When you say "longer" do you mean the height, width or depth? Is it possible to build and/or install a shelf above the stove that would allow you to continue to use a counter model?

I, too, have an over-the-stove microwave and am on my second unit, they just don't build 'em like they used to! Installation costs are high for the over-stove models and unless you are a Hercules DIY'er or have a very strong handy-person, they are a pain to install! I swore when this one goes I'm converting to a vent over the stove, or install a shelf with smaller counter unit -- the electrical outlet is already there. Over-the-stove models are convenient but I am so tired of the headache of replacing. By all means, try to repair if you can on your next unit, I know you've already sent the broken one on to the microwave heap!

Also, like you I had back splash tile installed and it's not behind the micro either, only up to the bottom. I think I could get a small open front cabinet built to that area's size specifications...let's just hope this one doesn't die on me for a while!
It's the height - finding a microwave exactly 16" has proven very difficult. We have a shelf up there right now for a temporary solution but it's not a good long term one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
A Dremel will cut the tile easy enough that you could hire the job out to a good handyman or tile company. They would probably charge a couple hundred bucks and the handyman may even install the microwave.

Please don't do the shelf idea some people suggest. You need the fan and if you sold without a fan there you will have to deal with it at that time anyway.
That was pretty much my next step - hiring a handyman but we had a ton of unexpected expenses this month and I wasn't ready to pay a couple hundred more on top of the cost of a new microwave. Not sure what you mean about needing the fan - mine wasn't vented through the ceiling, only through the top and the temporary set up we have has plenty of room for ventilation of the countertop model.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:09 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
My microwave is white, 16" high and was just installed in Jan. or Feb. - it appears to be a standard size one to me. It's a GE JVM7195 model. I think the contractor purchased it at Lowe's - no positive though.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:29 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
It's the height - finding a microwave exactly 16" has proven very difficult. We have a shelf up there right now for a temporary solution but it's not a good long term one.

That was pretty much my next step - hiring a handyman but we had a ton of unexpected expenses this month and I wasn't ready to pay a couple hundred more on top of the cost of a new microwave. Not sure what you mean about needing the fan - mine wasn't vented through the ceiling, only through the top and the temporary set up we have has plenty of room for ventilation of the countertop model.
It had a charcoal filter in it that cleaned the air before recirculating it back into the room. It can either recirculate the air with a charcoal filter or vent back outside but the range needs one or the other. Without it when you cook all that smoke and grease will be aloft in your house. Over time you will see grease building up in odd places and when you do cook you can set off the smoke detectors. Also the cooking smells can linger and get pretty bad without a fan.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:46 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Anyone ever have this problem or can suggest a solution?
Yes.
We remodeled the kitchen.
From this

to this (almost completed)

Old 09-06-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
My microwave is white, 16" high and was just installed in Jan. or Feb. - it appears to be a standard size one to me. It's a GE JVM7195 model. I think the contractor purchased it at Lowe's - no positive though.
Thanks but specs show it's 16 1/2" and discontinued
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House