Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:11 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slice4 View Post
Ever wondered?
I think it would be interesting to find out why people clean their houses/apartments...
What motivates you? When do you do it? Do you have special "cleaning" clothes? What else are you doing when you are cleaning? Anything else relevant?
The only thing that motivates me to clean, is fear of being mocked by my peers. If I were certain no one would ever visit, I would probably only clean 1-2x a year. As it is, I try to clean a little each weeknight, after work. I usually listen to music or TV while cleaning. I hate cleaning. Sometimes I want to hire someone to do it for me, but that seems so lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 05:12 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Actually, I should be cleaning right now instead of doing this!!!
I could set a record ,on the amount of hours I spend cleaning my house.
My husband loves how clean I keep are home. We just got INTERNET a couple months ago. He asked me the other day. Have you been on that city forum today.? oops , I guess I have been slacking a little. I admit it!

Old 12-07-2006, 05:40 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
MoMark, you and I would never get along! I clean sporadically, I admit it. I can't stand to clean, so I put it off as long as possible until I really can't stand it anymore. Then I've been known to clean at 11:00 at night when I have to get up for work the next day at 6:00!

My problem is clutter. Newspapers and junk mail seem to procreate and have children when I'm not looking! I've been known to take out twelve grocery bags full of newspapers in one day. Then I tell myself to take the old newspapers out every day, or even every other day - and I don't do it. Weird.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:57 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
MoMark, you and I would never get along! I clean sporadically, I admit it. I can't stand to clean, so I put it off as long as possible until I really can't stand it anymore. Then I've been known to clean at 11:00 at night when I have to get up for work the next day at 6:00!

My problem is clutter. Newspapers and junk mail seem to procreate and have children when I'm not looking! I've been known to take out twelve grocery bags full of newspapers in one day. Then I tell myself to take the old newspapers out every day, or even every other day - and I don't do it. Weird.
Naaaa, we'd get along just fine I think of cleaning like I think of having to pee when I don't want to take the time to do it..... the longer you wait, the longer you think about it, so best to get it over with and move on
I'm not a clean freak...not by any means. I've inherited my mother's red hair, but not her fanaticism for house cleaning. However, I do keep the kitchen, bedroom and bathrooms clean, that happens throughout the week, then I do a SUPER cleaning where I take on the whole house with a thorough sweeping of the tile floors, vacuuming of the carpets, dusting of all surfaces, Old English polishing of the dining room table and sideboard and real wooden table tops, then bleach water rub down of the bathroom counters, toilets, shower, wash the mirrors, make sure the toilets are white in the bowls (pumice bar next to each for stains), then I get a bucket of hot water, pour in the pinesol, and start mopping the laundry room, around the pet areas in the laundry room and half bath in there, the breakfast room and kitchen floors, the tile hallways, and the tile floors of each bathroom. Then I start on laundry and I wash all the bed linens, throw blankets I use to snuggle up with while watching tv, and all the towels in the bathrooms. I then vacuum the pillows and bedspreads in the guest room because my cats lie on those beds throughout the day and shed. Then it's time for windows and the easiest way is to use a tiny amount of Dawn dishwashing liquid in a bucket of hot water, a handbrush, get the squeegee, and wash down the windows outside and scrub them with the brush, then squeegee in down strokes, leaves them a lot clearer than if you use paper towels and windex. Then, in summer, I pull the screens off and power wash those too. But usually after all the house cleaning, I go onto the brick porch and sweep it, then rinse it off and then sweep the walks too. When I get going, I work on auto-pilot and I usually do it in my underwear if it's warm enough so I can strip next to the washing machine then walk naked back to my shower and get cleaned up after all the cleaning. Even my mom says she's never met anyone who cleans "almost" as good as she does I hate doing it. It's hard to get motivated, but once I start, I go blank and allow myself to become a robot and my mind is miles away thinking of other things while I operate on auto-pilot. Otherwise, I'd stop and flake out.

Last edited by MoMark; 12-07-2006 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-07-2006, 06:13 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
Since I retired I clean basically on an as needed basis. There's only me, my husband and our doggie who doesn't shed so we don't make really big messes. I really hate to dust so I usually do that while I'm on an extended phone call with one of my daughters. I vacuum about once a week and dust mop 1-2 times a week. Don't have special cleaning clothes unless I'm using clorox - then I try to put on one of the shirts I've already ruined with the stuff! I put in a CD and get with it. Primarily, I am more picky about my kitchen and bathrooms being clean. Which....by the way, I have to do all of the above tomorrow before we finally get the Christmas tree & other inside decorations up! And, here's kudos to my husband: he picks up after himself and helps in the kitchen and even threw in a load of clothes today!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 06:18 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
I do keep everything clean but I too have a problem with clutter. I hate dusting but I do it, but I have been putting more things up so I don't have to move as much when I dust. My mother is a clean and neat freak. I just did not inherit her ability to be organized but I am very clean especially with the bathroom.
How do I keep magazines and "stuff" off the bar in my kitchen?

Old 12-07-2006, 06:28 PM

431 posts, read 393,689 times
Default Why I clean

I clean because I love to be surrounded by a clean environment. I mean, come one - we shower everyday, right? So why would anyone live in a dirty home? Dirty dishes in the sink and shower scum are not inviting and I firmly believe that our space is a clear indication of us as individuals. Just my humble opinion.

I don't wear special clothes, just jeans or whatever. I pop in a CD and get busy! I never clean on the weekends, though. That is my time to relax, shop, go out, whatever. Here's to the cleaners! :=)

Old 12-07-2006, 07:20 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
I don't clean.

Actually I do but only general upkeep (sweep the floor, wipe off the counters, etc); no dusting, mopping, vacumning. Someone comes in once every two weeks and dusts, vacumns, and scrubs the floor. I really hate doing housework so I figured spending a couple bucks is worth less than a couple headaches.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:49 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I don't clean.

Actually I do but only general upkeep (sweep the floor, wipe off the counters, etc); no dusting, mopping, vacumning. Someone comes in once every two weeks and dusts, vacumns, and scrubs the floor. I really hate doing housework so I figured spending a couple bucks is worth less than a couple headaches.
Tell her there's a man in Missouri who could use her help while he sips a Vodka martini

Old 12-07-2006, 09:58 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Clean? The house, myself? Why, never. Isn't that why that lady comes once a week?

Seriously though, I do have a lady that comes every other week to do all of the deep cleaning. I used to do it all myself but then got too busy w/ the kids and all of their activities and I'm one of those people that at least for one day loves the entire house to be clean. It was hard by myself cleaning everything so I had to split it up into two days. I had two different approaches depending on what was most important. Either I did everything downstairs one day then up the next. Or I did all the dusting, sweeping, moping, vacuming on one day for the entire house and the kitchen & bathrooms the next. It worked out well that way. I still wipe down the bathrooms every few days, my counter daily, sweep the kitchen every other day I swear, clean the countertops after meals, dust when I can see it across the room (can not stand that at all), clean the kitchen sink, etc. So even though someone comes every other week she gets the deep stuff like the light fixtures, baseboards, scrubs the tubs/showers, windows, dusts the drapes and shutters, etc.

So if you come over and the house looks all clean, don't open any drawers in the kitchen unless I specifically point to one to open . Even when I did everything myself we have friends that would roll their eyes when they would pop over and I would say to avoid the mess. I like my house clean, we may have the clutter stuff w/ the kids schoolwork on the kitchen table and such but it can all be picked up and put up in a flash. Otherwise the house is clean pretty much all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House