Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 AM

667 posts, read 1,848,697 times

Advertisements

I posted two weeks ago about putting new electric wiring in the old house I just purchased.

The electrician has shown me the wiring to the overhead light fixtures and clearly it needs to be replaced in dining room, living room, hall, bathroom and bedrooms.

What is the best way to cut into the old plaster walls to minimize damage?

The technician will be doing the job (a guy who works for the electrician). I am going down Tuesday to watch.

The electrician says his technician does this all the time and he will also spackel; I won't notice the difference.

The alternative idea that I discussed with the electrician, is to use standing lamps (in bedrooms and living room) and sconces (in hallway) and just disconnect overhead light fixtures. (He thinks this is a silly idea, but is agreeable)

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 08:03 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,713 times
Be careful when cutting into plaster walls. You'll need to find a contractor/handyperson who knows how to repair/restore plaster walls.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Is this a one story house, or two stories?

Is there attic access for the electrician to work in to run wires? If you have attic above all these rooms, there should be minimal plaster disturbance.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Is this a one story house, or two stories?

Is there attic access for the electrician to work in to run wires? If you have attic above all these rooms, there should be minimal plaster disturbance.
It is two story; the bedrooms will have minimum damage.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Be careful when cutting into plaster walls. You'll need to find a contractor/handyperson who knows how to repair/restore plaster walls.
What do you think about having standing lamps in the living room? or those kind of lights that are on thin poles that run up the walls?

Any other suggestions?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 AM

Any ideas on how the cutting can be done?

The wires look god-awful--they absolutely have to come out or be disconnected.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Karen there is no absolute answer to your question because someone would have to assess your particular situation and come up with a plan, ideally you cut as little as possible and if you do have to cut you try and do it in places like a closet. If you have straight/short runs you can use the old wire to pull the new wire through, no cutting necessary. An experienced electrician can do wonders, this is where the 20 years of experience separates the men from the boys.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 AM

482 posts, read 1,234,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Karen there is no absolute answer to your question because someone would have to assess your particular situation and come up with a plan, ideally you cut as little as possible and if you do have to cut you try and do it in places like a closet. If you have straight/short runs you can use the old wire to pull the new wire through, no cutting necessary. An experienced electrician can do wonders, this is where the 20 years of experience separates the men from the boys.
How does one use the old wire to pull new wire if it is secured to the studs by staple? I currently have old armored BX cable and i'm just wondering about this...

Also, don't most building codes say the wire has to be secured to structure, ie wire staples, 6-8 inches from every box?

Just some curiousity questions...

Old 04-09-2012, 02:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
1. Just becasue the wire is ugly, does nto mean there is anyhting wrong with it.

2. The bast way to avoid cutting is to find which way the cieling joists run. Remove some siding on the outside of the house, slide the wire in alonside the joist, then run it down to the basement where you have access to the floor joists and can easily drill through them as needed. Drill a hole up into the wall where the switch is and runt he wire up to the switch. Bingo. No holes. You use more wire, but do not need to make a single hole. You will only be able to staple the wire into place at the termination, at the opening in the outside wall, and in the basement. However that should be sufficient to hold it safely in place.

If you cannot access through an outside wall, sometimes you need to go in through a closet or stairwell where the patch will nto be visible. Sometimes you cna pull up floors and access from above rahter than ripping up a cieling.

Anytime you think there isnot choice but to mke big holes, give it a night and think again. Try to take a completely different approach. Throw out your ideas about what is the normal or correct way to wire it and get creative. Do nto let "experts" tell you ripping out plaster is the only way that it can be done. They are almost always wrong when they say that. You just need to think think think.

If they are planning to patch plaseter with spackle, you need a different electrician.

It your electrician brings a chian saw into your house, throw them out and lock the door.

Stay home and watch them. Do nto be afraid to say "STOP!" and "NO"

Old 04-09-2012, 05:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
How does one use the old wire to pull new wire if it is secured to the studs by staple? I currently have old armored BX cable and i'm just wondering about this...

You can't but I'm used to the really old houses in my area where nothing is ever secured in the walls. BX itself is small nightmare without staples. My Brothers house was just flooded and the entire first floor was gutted. They were able to wire the entire second floor easily without cutting any walls but the wiring was probably 80 years old.

Every house is going to be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House