Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,469 times

Advertisements

I have a 5 y.o. Trex deck off my house, but I really want a screened porch or sun room. Right now there is no shade, so the deck gets too hot to use most months, and too wet the rest of the year. Can I have a porch or sunroom built on the Trex flooring, or will I need something more substantial to attach the framing?

If you've done a project like this I'd love to hear about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 11:10 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,562,293 times
You'd more than likely need a much more substantial support structure than what a deck is built on. Figure on tearing it all out and starting from scratch.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
I have a 5 y.o. Trex deck off my house, but I really want a screened porch or sun room. Right now there is no shade, so the deck gets too hot to use most months, and too wet the rest of the year. Can I have a porch or sunroom built on the Trex flooring, or will I need something more substantial to attach the framing?

If you've done a project like this I'd love to hear about it!
Answers depend on how it's framed.

You won't likely be able to just build up from the deck... that would not be strong. But you may not have to tear it all out either. You may likely have to put in some new supports underneath, may have to run some new posts up through the deck to support a roof structure.

Definitely need to have a contractor look at it, and give you a bid.

I support covered spaces outside. Just spent a bunch of money on my own wrap around deck. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2017, 11:55 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
You can do pole building type construction around the deck to enclose it.

I've got a trex deck that has been enclosed into a sun porch. There is a sturdy foundation around the edge to support the building.

Most likely your deck has a foundation calculated to support the weight of the deck, not the very high additional weight of an enclosed building.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:12 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,400,755 times
If the issue is the lack of shade, and not a desire to add another room to the house, then may I suggest an awning over the deck?

Old 09-21-2017, 12:21 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,229,422 times
A screened in porch ? Sure, not too hard. You're just talking about some 4 x 4 posts and some screen material, and some sort of roof assembly. If the deck can't support those things, then it can't support you!

You can actually buy pre-fab screen porch kits at Lowe's and Home Depot. Depending on the size and style, it would cost about $2k on the low end, up to $5k.

A sunroom is harder, assuming that we are talking about something that has more of the character of an interior room, with finished surfaces and windows that can be closed in inclement/cold weather. A sun room wouldn't really be built on top of the deck, you'd have to start from scratch, because your porch deck isn't moisture proof and for a sun room you would need the floor, walls, and roof to be so.

Personally I love old-fashioned screened in porches. Remind me of summers at the lake as a kid. The more modern gazebos and awning are cute, but you they don't keep out the bugs. Screened porches also usually have enough of a roof to keep rain out so you can still sit outside and enjoy a summer rain, and if it's windy you don't have leaves and stuff blowing at you.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:49 PM

17,471 posts, read 65,994,520 times
The decking material has nothing to do with it- it's the framing and footing that will or will not support the additional load.

The only way to know for sure is to find a local contractor to look at it.

Expect the worse (tear off the whole thing and start over), hope for the best- add on to the existing.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Answers depend on how it's framed.

You won't likely be able to just build up from the deck... that would not be strong. But you may not have to tear it all out either. You may likely have to put in some new supports underneath, may have to run some new posts up through the deck to support a roof structure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You can do pole building type construction around the deck to enclose it.

I've got a trex deck that has been enclosed into a sun porch. There is a sturdy foundation around the edge to support the building.

Most likely your deck has a foundation calculated to support the weight of the deck, not the very high additional weight of an enclosed building.
Thanks! The deck is about 15' x 20' supported around the perimeter by 4x4s on deck blocks. I don't want anything elaborate; just something like one of these screen rooms: Screen Room & Screened In Porch Designs & Pictures | Patio Enclosures

I have asked my contractor for an estimate; am hoping it comes in less than $20K.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
You'd more than likely need a much more substantial support structure than what a deck is built on. Figure on tearing it all out and starting from scratch.
OMG. Well, that's a non-starter. The deck is only a few years old and in good shape. I just want a screen room; maybe one with plexi panels I could put up in wintertime to keep the wind from blowing through.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 AM

Wow djmilf, those awnings are very dramatic. I would just worry that they would collect pine needles and bird droppings very quickly. I think I'm looking for something more permanent & substantial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House