Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:33 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,325 times

Advertisements

Kinda feel silly asking this - but I just don't know.... I am looking to relocate to Virginia and in the area I'm looking a lot of the houses mention radiator heat or boiler heat. I've never had either - always gas, heat pump or all electric. How does each work, what should I look for - what problems may occur. I am probably going to be renting for the first year - unless the perfect place falls in my lap....all info welcome, please!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 11:51 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
Er, a boiler heats and radiators disperse ~ the 2 "different" kinds are water or steam, with water being the most common (only kind I've ever see in residential). The boilers are still either gas fired (most common) or electric (more common for modern boilers). And I absolutely Love it, best heating I've ever lived with and I wish I could have it always and everywhere. Radiant heat, where no moisture is stripped from the air and all the items in the house hold the heat, is simply more comfortable to me.

As for how they work, the boiler heats water and a pump circulates it through the radiators. It has "lag", meaning that if you're used to Constantly adjusting the t-stat to change temps, you're going to be disappointed. They work best in a set-it-and-forget-it capacity (though I managed to work one on delay with a scheduled T-stat so I could have a cooler house when sleeping and warmer when awake ~ took a few weeks of playing to learn the lag time).

When they aren't properly "burped" of air pockets, they can be noisy as well (there are products that make this a non-issue). And there's the additional risk of water leaks/damage, though I'd consider it a Very low risk. Even hundred year old systems tend to be in place and functional with no real repairs ~ they are durable and very basic in construction.

Given than you're looking at renting, it's a non-issue past knowing that they lag a bit from when you ask for heat and the heat is finally delivered. Essentially, they're a lot like electric baseboard heat, only WAY cheaper to operate.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:54 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Post Preventative maintenance is key, especially when water is involved

If you're renting, the only thing to watch out for with radiators is a landlord who waits too long to turn them on in the fall, and turns the system off early (or late) when warm weather comes. When I rented an upper floor apartment in a building with steam heat, I had to keep the bedroom window open a crack all winter, no way to "turn down" the heat in just one room.

For home ownership, ask your new neighbors to recommend a good firm to do maintenance. Preventative maintenance is critical, exact tasks differ depending on the fuel used and how the system is setup.

Many homes with a boiler use an indirect coil off the boiler to produce domestic hot water, so the boiler runs even in the summer. This might not be as wasteful as it sounds.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:26 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Kinda feel silly asking this - but...
Forced hot water heat through radiators is the nicest heat there is.
Heating that water by gas makes the system about perfect.

But it still requires some basic knowledge and some basic care
almost all of which almost any homeowner can learn to manage well enough.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:48 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,325 times
thanks, that helps - my next question is - since there's water involved - does that create humidity in the air? coming from coastal major tropical humidity - i worry about that.

Turning on the radiators won't be a problem since I'm looking to rent a house - I'll be turning them on - with instructions!!..

Old 09-25-2017, 01:56 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
thanks, that helps - my next question is - since there's water involved - does that create humidity in the air? coming from coastal major tropical humidity - i worry about that.

Turning on the radiators won't be a problem since I'm looking to rent a house - I'll be turning them on - with instructions!!..
No. The hot water circulates in sealed pipes. The heat "radiates" into the room from the warm pipes (unless there's a leak somewhere of course). You are probably thinking of the old steam radiators seen in old movies.

The last 2 houses I've owned have had hot water baseboard heat. So nice....lower operating costs, quiet, no blowing air kicking up dust, no air filters or duct cleaning needed, no bone dry nose-cracking winter air.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:56 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:

Unless the system is taken off line in the summer; your heat should come on automatically when the thermostat calls for heat. It is one contentious factor when renting if the landlord thinks you have windows open as the weather turns colder - but it depends on if you are paying for the oil or it they are paying for the oil - either way you would pay one way or the other (they possibly could increase your rent if they did not think your were not helping to conserve their fuel).

Old 09-25-2017, 02:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Steam heat is mostly on really old systems. It can be dangerous and usually leaks at least a little bit (or some steam may come out of the relief valves at times). This adds humidity - an advantage when it is cold. Cold air does not hold as much water,, so when you heat it up, it tend to be very dry and can cause sinus problems. Steam radiators and pipes get very hot and should be covered to prevent burns. Steam heat also will "knock" loudly if air gets in the pipes

Hot water is safer, works just as well, and is much more common. If it is in good repair, it will not leak at all and will not impact humidity. Thus, you may still need humidifiers.

The boiler makes the hot water/steam. It is in your basement, like a furnace. The radiators disperse the heat to the room. There are several kinds of radiators. Old Cast Iron radiators are the most efficient. They are big, bulky and some say ugly (although some are very artistic.). You can put your Hat, gloves, boots, cat or butt on them to keep them toasty warm. I do not think anyone puts these in new houses - not since about the 1960s. Copper Baseboard radiators are most common today. They are unobtrusive and run along the baseboards. They are usually about 6 - 8" tall and 2 - 3" thick. They are bolted to your baseboards a the bottom of each wall. Radiant floor heat is the newest awesome ting in housing. It is not super new, but only common in the last 10 or so years. Before that is was around, just not very common. Floor radiated heat means your floors are always comfy warm.

Radiated heat is more comfortable, healthier, more stable and more even. When you open a door, you do not lose all your heat. Radiated heat heats the walls, floor and furniture while forced air heats the air inside the room.

The downside of radiated heat, is you still need a forced air system for air-conditioning.

Before we moved our house it had a steam heating system that was working great. It added just the right amount of humidity and was the most comfortable heat I have ever felt. We now have hot water and while it is pretty great, it is not quite as good as the steam system was. I think we need to add more radiators. WE also have to use humidifiers in the winter because the hot water system does not leak moisture into the air at all.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 09-25-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 02:16 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,604 times
There are not many areas in Virginia where overly low humidity will be a concern.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:53 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Kinda feel silly asking this - but I just don't know.... I am looking to relocate to Virginia and in the area I'm looking a lot of the houses mention radiator heat or boiler heat. I've never had either - always gas, heat pump or all electric. How does each work, what should I look for - what problems may occur. I am probably going to be renting for the first year - unless the perfect place falls in my lap....all info welcome, please!!
You're looking at old homes that have a oil tank. Keep in mind that if you buy one, the delivery company will be expecting to fill a 150 gal tank. If you call them and it's a partial tank they will surcharge you. Also be aware that many boilers are old and parts may not be available. These homes will have baseboard heat and all your hot water needs will also come from it. During the summers you'd have window AC units. These units are not efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House