Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:34 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Recently moved to new apartment and find the water in the toilet bowl is inconveniently high,is there any way to adjust the level or is this a set design of the toilet bowl, i suppose plan-b would be to install a higher seat ..
It's in the design. Sort of.

Take the back off the toilet and flush it. See that little rubber hose that sprays water down the tube? That hose supplies water to the bowl; the rest of the water goes to the tank.

Too much water in the bowl? I have never seen that, but I know what I would do. I would try to decrease the amount of water coming out of the rubber hose by partially pinching it off with maybe a paper clip, or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:45 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
You adjust the water level by adjusting the floating thing in toilet. Old ones had a floating bulb type thing new ones have a round thing that is around the overflow. See home depot link, scroll down.
I also limit water by putting in a water bottle half filled with gravel, for weight, and rest with water. Just place in tank where it won't interfere with anything.

How to make Minor Adjustments to Your Toilet at The Home Depot

Old 10-06-2017, 08:46 AM

813 posts, read 600,907 times
OP, please google this, the disinformation on this thread is mind-boggling. And keep in mind, you need to determine what method of refill your specific toilet uses, all my advice has been based on the most common style, which may not necessarily be the same as yours.

Good luck, Rg

Last edited by raggedjim; 10-06-2017 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 08:53 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Yes, you can limit the amount of water that flows into the bowl, but the toilet won't flush until a specific volume of water is in the bowl. There has to be enough water for the weight of the water to push around the bends of the drain. If there isn't enough water, then the toilet won't flush.

You limit the water in the tank and down it goes and it might not be enough water to actually cause the flushing action.

OP's toilet is not well designed and replacement is the best option. A decent toilet is fairly cheap, $100, or you can get quite a nice one for $200. But there is the install cost and the very big nuisance of getting rid of the old toilet. OP is in a rented dwelling and there is no motivation for the landlord to change out a toilet that works just fine.

(think in the extreme. You can turn the water off and then there will be no water in the tank. When you push the lever, the toilet won't flush. You can gradually increase the amount of water in the tank and it still won't flush until you reach the critical level of water in the holding tank. Then, if ever there is too much water in the bowl, the toilet will flush itself. That toilet is mechanically choosing what level of water it wants in the bowl)

Old 10-06-2017, 09:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I filled a liter wine bottle full of water and placed it in the reservoir,after a few flushes there was no difference in the level of water in the bowl. i guess i'll leave the bottle in the reservoir and save a liter of water with every flush.
the innards of the reservoir look like this one =https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/S..._0256_DJFs.jpg

Old 10-06-2017, 09:34 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
OP, please google this, the disinformation on this thread is mind-boggling. And keep in mind, you need to determine what method of refill your specific toilet uses, all my advice has been based on the must common style, which may not necessarily be the same as yours.

Good luck, Rg
Right. Everyone knows the PROPER way to regulate the water level in a toilet bowl is to get the appropriately sized dog. If there is only a tiny amount of excess water, a Chihuahua and a step stool will work. For a medium amount of water, a Spaniel is about the right size. If you have way too much water, get a Labrador (just don't teach it to retrieve).

Old 10-06-2017, 09:39 AM

813 posts, read 600,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Right. Everyone knows the PROPER way to regulate the water level in a toilet bowl is to get the appropriately sized dog. If there is only a tiny amount of excess water, a Chihuahua and a step stool will work. For a medium amount of water, a Spaniel is about the right size. If you have way too much water, get a Labrador (just don't teach it to retrieve).
Ha! Once when our toilet stopped up I found a dog toy in the trap. I blamed my wife, but the dog looked pretty sheepish...

Old 10-06-2017, 10:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
The level of the water in the toilet bowl is the height of the toilet bowl trap that feeds into the waste drain pipe. On most toilets, that trap is cast into the porcelain in the toilet base and you can't change it.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
It would be hard to find a high water level bowl in California as they have not been sold in for years and many areas require replacement upon sale to ultra low flow.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:01 PM

284 posts, read 379,138 times
People suggesting limiting the amount of water in the tank (filling a bottle, etc.) are adjusting how much water flows through the bowl. The trap design determines how much water STAYS in the bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House