Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:11 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
This is the direction we went. I mean, you know you are gonna burn it again. er, I mean me. The wife does like her new pot tho.
Yup! In a pot, you're always going to burn it again.

Once in a while, I've been tempted by one of those whirly-pop things because they're so cool looking. Then I remember, oh yeah - it's still gonna burn once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 11:25 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I just got one of these glass microwave popcorn poppers - but I haven't even used it yet, so I can't give a review.

http://www.amazon.com/Ecolution-Kitc...popcorn+popper

I used to have a hot air popper that I loved but the last one I bought didn't work well at all so I decided to try a different approach. But yes, if I was making stovetop popcorn, I'd just get a pot for that so I didn't have to worry about the burns on it because I think they are kind of inevitable.

But I also agree with jacqueg that the age of your popcorn plays a role, and it won't pop well if it gets old and dried out. It's the moisture inside the corn that makes it pop as it heats up.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:17 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Fill 3/4 of the pot with water, add a about 1/4-teaspoon of dish soap, and set it to a fast boil for a long time. Before the water evaporates, take the pot sink and scrub it with Brillo pads, or with 3M green pads. Repeat the process if necessary. Once the pot is clean, go to the store and buy a pre-seasoned cast iron pot and use that for making popcorn if you like.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:24 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I happen to have some Barkeeper's Friend. It never occurred to me to use that inside a pot. I'll read the label and see if there's a warning about pot interior use, or use on stainless steel.

Thanks!
I work off and on at Williams-Sonoma and we sell Barkeeper's Friend for cleaning all those expensive pots and pans.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:40 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
I put a few drops of dishwasher detergent in the pot with enough hot water to cover the crud, cover it and let it sit a day or two until I can scrape the pan clean with a rubber/plastic spatula

Old 10-08-2017, 03:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times
I boil baking soda and water until the crud starts to float. Has worked every time I've tried it.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:47 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times
I have ruined a few pots in my day & all the above methods have worked sometimes & not others. I've found that stainless pots with the thick, heavy bottom can be remedied easier, for whatever reason... perhaps a better grade of steel?

The last time, when nothing worked, my last ditch attempt was to spray Easy Off oven cleaner into the pot, let it sit overnight & it worked. I've also ruined a couple past the point of no return. Don't know if you have time or if this is feasible, but my mum once put a ruined pot outside in the rain & just left it for weeks. Eventually, the blackened bottom peeled off & it could be used again.

Good luck & please let us know what worked.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:51 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
This is a Heloise tip that I learned back in Home Ec class. Trust me, us students were notorious for burning stuff til we mastered the appliances.

Use: red tomato sauce, Heat slowly...It will pull the crud and also make the stainless steel sparkle!
You may need to use a few scrapes with a spatula ( metal version), but it does a marvelous job!

Old 10-08-2017, 04:54 PM

61,711 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Barkeepers Friend. You can purchase it any any grocery store in the cleaning section, and it costs less than $5.00.

Sprinkle it on, moisten but do not wet. Ideally you want it to be a bit paste-like. Let it sit, scrub off with an abrasive sponge and your pot will look like new.

For really tough, thick oil that has polymerized on the surface you might have to do it a couple of times.
^^^^^^ this!!!!! Use as described! Absolutely the best! Also easiest to use.
Cost ~$3

Old 10-08-2017, 04:57 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Brillo pad should do the trick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House