Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 01:57 PM

10 posts, read 8,181 times

Advertisements

We are building a house and need to decide on what type of Fridge to buy...I have heard so many different reviews from salesman on what fridge to get so would like some honest reviews on what you recommend. Trying to decide between KitchenAid, GE Cafe Series and LG.

KitchenAid KRFF507ESS

GE Café Series CWE23SSHSS

LG LFX21976ST
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 02:12 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Lg

Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
I've been very disappointed in our GE. I'll never buy their brand again.

YMMV.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
The ones listed are a french door model. I'd strong suggest you reconsider. The center mullion is plastic on all of them and is subject to break. You can get a single door stainless model with none of the tricky crap that breaks. We've found GE to be rated as the highest in warranty satisfaction. I'd also suggest before buying any specific brand to check out any warranty issues. You'll find some of the name brands do not have any factory warranty in the States but rely on independent contractors for warranty service. That warranty service might take several weeks before you see anybody to just look at it. Then the repairs have to be approved by someone in another country and yes, the repair might get turned down. Do the research. The brand is only as good as the warranty behind it.
Here's my pick of all of the refrigerators in your size requirements.
Sears.com

Old 10-11-2017, 09:39 PM

64 posts, read 61,536 times
I have an LG French door fridge and the interior drawers are awful. They break all the time. We recently had it repaired and the repairman told me they are not good anymore. He said they used to be a decent product but newer ones are poor quality, parts are hard to impossible to get and expensive. He recommended Maytag/ Whirlpool.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:56 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The ones listed are a french door model. I'd strong suggest you reconsider. The center mullion is plastic on all of them and is subject to break. You can get a single door stainless model with none of the tricky crap that breaks. We've found GE to be rated as the highest in warranty satisfaction. I'd also suggest before buying any specific brand to check out any warranty issues. You'll find some of the name brands do not have any factory warranty in the States but rely on independent contractors for warranty service. That warranty service might take several weeks before you see anybody to just look at it. Then the repairs have to be approved by someone in another country and yes, the repair might get turned down. Do the research. The brand is only as good as the warranty behind it.
Here's my pick of all of the refrigerators in your size requirements.
Sears.com
^^This is the style which I have although mine is a Whirlpool. I love the single door . . .no matter what I'm carrying, it's easy to fit a large object in. No opening double doors and juggling a large pan or storage container or whatever in one hand. I also found that the double doors don't always seal properly if you aren't very careful when you close them. They can be a bit temperamental.

Another thing which convinced me that the single door is the way to go was when I sprained my left wrist, arm, and elbow in a bad fall a few months ago. I was fridge shopping during the time that my arm was out of commission so it forced me to consider the single door option. There was no way I could successfully maneuver two doors with only my right hand without contortions. I tried several brands one-handed and struggled with all of them. Granted, I may never find myself in that predicament again, but it made me think of the range of inconveniences that could ensue when I'm older and perhaps weaker or for the less strong among us.

Be sure to do a lot of test door-slamming and maneuvering before you settle on a style. You'll be glad you did, whichever one you choose. There's a lot to consider.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:05 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Love our LG. It is a french door with refrigerator pull out drawer and freezer on the bottom. Has worked flawlessly for the last 19 months. Ice maker, perfect not like GEs which always seem to break.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
My salesman said it's a crap shoot now. And lots of people have terrible things to say about Frigidaire, but hey, mine was here when I bought this place, not brand new, and served faithfully for 12 more years.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:00 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I can't recommend KitchenAid/Whirlpool any longer. The previous KitchenAid fridge we owned only lasted about 10 years. The ice maker stopped working in the first year. The door had to be replaced. We do still have a 20 year old Whirlpool as a back-up fridge in the basement. The quality is not there anymore.

We replaced the KitchenAid with an LG French door model. It's about 5 years old now and works well. Fortunately it doesn't have that small useless third drawer in the middle. Two large drawers for fruit/veggies or meat works well for us.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:08 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I bought an "all fridge" and I will never go back to the traditional frig/freezer combo. I have 2 freezers in my basement, and my old frig /freezer that I replaced. I love having all that fridge space in my kitchen.

Mine is a Frigidaire. I have owned everything from Maytag to Kenmore over the years. I agree with others that appliances just aren't reliable like they were years ago. and, every since I found out that major appliances award their contracts to the best bidder....so your name brand is being built by who knows who now....I no longer shop brands....I choose by doing consumer research and by what I like the looks and features of these days.

Regretfully, long gone are the dependable old brands...I'd buy a Kelvinator if I could

Last edited by JanND; 10-12-2017 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House