Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:42 AM

222 posts, read 194,570 times

Advertisements

This might be a little technical but could not find a better thread to put it under.

I moved into older apartment with a stove that has a pilot that is always on.

I have a hepa filter with a built in VOC reader in the dining room .

I noticed when I use the stove the voc reader for air quality turns orange and once read. I can't smell gas or anything and I am a little worried if it's normal or not when stove is off the light is green.

My worry is carbon monoxide I am going to by a carbon alarm this morning surprised apartment dies not have one.

I am also afraid if I brought this up to management they will shrug it off. I am hyper sensitive to allergies.

I am pretty sure it's the stove but also today the radiators started for heat and the VOC reader was red but I also used stove so I can't rule out if it was radiator but I do know when stove off VOC is green.

I am not sure if just normal gas being burned off can cause the air filterr voc to indicate bad air quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 10:08 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
It is a code requirement in Illinois even for older buildings, if that's where you live, to have CO2 alarms in all rental property. Tell the landlord to get one in your apartment and quick. If they shrug it off, call the closest inspection entity such as a building inspection dept. The fire dept might also be able to help you with getting it resolved.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 AM

By coincidence I just saw building manager and told him there was not one and he is going to get one . But there is no sign of one ever being in here so looks like I did not get management that cares a whole lot about code hopefully will not be more problems.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:14 AM

Was reading some online articles and they stayed that running a gas stove or burning candles could create bad air quality and could set off a VOC reader.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:43 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
There should be only "trace" amounts of VOC's in burnt/spent natural gas. If you're getting reading on a monitor then I suspect there's somewhat of a problem with the stove. Granted complete combustion is almost impossible, but that doesn't mean a range can't be efficient enough to get to "trace" amounts.

Having a carbon monoxide detector is always good insurance- but carbon monoxide is NOT a VOC.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:49 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Yep. Natural gas and propane both end up as water vapor and carbon dioxide. The odorant might create a faint trace of VOC, but that is about it. Candles, OTOH, are notorious for creating noxious air and layers of soot and grease/wax around them.

The first time radiators are used there can be smells as the schmutz that has settled on them gets evaporated or burned off.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:08 PM

I am not sure how sensitive the VOC on my Honeywell large room heppa filter is but hoping that nothing abnormal is going on with stove.

I do not think management would do anything if I continue to worry I would buy a VOC reader not oned too expensive but as of now I am still alive so I do not think it is more than normal carbon monoxide from stove.

The Honeywell filter VOC might just be sensitive it was red from spraying Lysol also. It was also red when I brought one to my grandparents house which is very dusty and old or want off and sometimes when I opened door to room I was sleeping in it would turn red.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:02 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Lysol is, according to its MSDS, nearly entirely VOCs. Mostly ethanol (yes, alcohol is a VOC), and some "petroleum gases, liquified, sweetened".

Old 10-18-2017, 10:01 AM

Thanks for input I am really turning hypersensitive with air quality. It's not just this a apartment for years I have had chronic fatigue and allergies. I stopped using candles years ago because I try to get rid of source.

This episode got me worried about carbon dioxide because I figured at least I would get my bedroom to have good air quality so I bought a seal that slides unde r door it fit perfect. I am now worried my bedroom was so sealed no drafts from window that there vould be to much co2 so I purchased a co2 meter for nightstand on Amazon and slept with door open .

A bout one of the seals that fit under doors for the front apartment door also and it happen to fit really good so now I am wondering if I am blocking to much air from getting into apartment.

All I can say is after 15 years of renting apartments I am ready to buy house.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:02 AM

I did not get the co2 meter it's in mail .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House