Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 01:57 PM

43 posts, read 109,469 times

Advertisements

They did not disclose it. I am reaching out now to see what actions I can take. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 02:28 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,313 times
The issue is that how can you prove this issue existed before you bought the house? It most likely did, but you have to prove they knew about it. Without a witness, not sure how you will have a case. Did you have the house inspected before you bought it?

You may just be able to pour some sand over it, and then some concrete over that. Cheap fix, if it works.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:37 PM

They did disclose that water was getting into the basement which was mitigated by adding longer downspouts which obviously didn’t work. If I can’t get the seller to do anything I’ll try the sand and concrete method. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2017, 03:32 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
I wouldn't fill the hole until after you figure out to get it to stop leaking in there. You start filling that hole, water is going to flow into the rest of the basement starting at that point.

The hole is serving as a basin right now.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I wouldn't fill the hole until after you figure out to get it to stop leaking in there. You start filling that hole, water is going to flow into the rest of the basement starting at that point.

The hole is serving as a basin right now.

Hmmm okay I see. I just got some long downspouts to keep water from getting in that way. We'll see what happens next time it rains.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:13 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Did you have a house inspection done prior to closing? If so, call that inspector.

Also you should take dated photos of the water. I would call my real estate attorney asap. You are going need legal representation to receive damages from seller.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoser201 View Post
It appears to be so. I don't mind if its just that corner that gets wet as long as its not affecting anything else.
Maybe they wanted to maintain access at that pipe, so they didn't fill in with concrete. Looks like pvc pipe and not the cast iron so there has been some work done there. It is probably seeping up because of the dirt.

If you want to do it right get some estimates. Personally to keep it from looking so bad I'd put some pea gravel or something similar around that area.

The water is definitely coming in at that corner. Check the foundation on the outside of that area....perhaps backfilling with some clay there might help. It also helps if you fill the area with a slope away from the foundation.

I have even used cheap clay cat litter before in a patio area to hold back water for a cheap quick fix.....it worked. It may give you time to figure out the long term fix.

Hopefully you'll figure this out. Old houses are wonderful, but they do often times have a few problems.

I agree, the sellers should have disclosed the water in the basement situation.

There are tons of links to informative videos that may help you.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...area&FORM=IGRE

Last edited by JanND; 10-24-2017 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 10-25-2017, 03:57 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Is it possibly a case of water coming in from where the sewer pipe goes out through the wall?
The wall looks pretty grungy.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:29 PM

Just wanted to provide an update. Turns out the extended downspouts seems to have done the trick. We got over 2" of rain today and the basement has remained 100% dry. I think I will go ahead and cement the rest of the floor. Thanks for everyone's input!

Old 10-30-2017, 06:58 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Thanks for the update and glad that you've got it under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House