Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,678 times

Advertisements

Looking at replacing my fridge. Old one is...well, old, lol. Typical bottom rung 2 door top freezer, used and abused by previous owner of house. I've dealt with it for two years, and I think it's time to treat myself to a new one.

I absolutely want an in-door water/ice dispenser. Yes, I know the risks with leaks, freezing over, hard to clean, etc. My last house had a large SxS fridge with dispenser, and I miss it terribly. I was all set to buy a fridge last night, until I went into the store and saw some with the ice maker in the door as well, opening up another shelf in the freezer, and immediately wanted that. But I also noticed that it at least appeared as if the hoppers on these models were considerably smaller than those with the maker inside the freezer space.

Is it just me, or are they smaller? Has anyone gone to this style and regretted it/found that they ran out of ice too quick? I'm a single guy living alone, with zero expectations to add anyone else any time soon. I figure if I had a party or something, I could just as easily go buy a bag or two of ice at the gas station if need be, I'm just concerned about it running dry on a daily basis for what I'd use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 01:25 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
The icemaker/dispenser of a thru the door appliance takes a huge amount of room. We have a GE sidebyside bottom freezer, ice maker in the bottom and the only drawback is the switch is hard to reach. Water dispenser is inside the refrigerator part and takes no room at all. Two of us get all the ice we need. In fact once the drawer fills up I turn it off with a couple of days supply in it.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:05 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I have this one - it's counter depth so it's smaller than a standard fridge and the configuration is a bit different. The icemaker is in the door but it takes up most of the door.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...=ref:212,loc:2

It's fine for a 2 person family for normal use, including making big pitchers of iced tea on a regular basis. If I'm having more than 4 or 5 people over, then I buy a bag of ice.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:48 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
We have a GE French door refrigerator that has two ice makers. One in the door and one in the lower freezer. I use the in-door one and my wife uses the lower one. Together, we go through a lot of ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House