Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 01:28 PM

11 posts, read 9,991 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a condo managed by an association.

We hired someone to come by and have our chimney cleaned. The technician went up to the roof and said the chimney cap was not put on properly, so years worth of spider webs, twigs, leaves, etc have accumulated and it needs to be cleaned. They quoted it at $250.

Initially we were just going to do the $100 flue cleaning. Now we have to pay $350 to get our fireplace operational.

I contacted the association and the manager said the chimney is the homeowner's responsibility. However, the chimney cap is their responsibility so he said he would put in a work order to have it fixed. He said would not pay to have it cleaned out though.

My question is, since the chimney cap caused this problem and it is their responsibility, shouldn't they also cover the cleaning? Or am I stuck with the $250 bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 01:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masil784 View Post
I recently bought a condo managed by an association.

We hired someone to come by and have our chimney cleaned. The technician went up to the roof and said the chimney cap was not put on properly, so years worth of spider webs, twigs, leaves, etc have accumulated and it needs to be cleaned. They quoted it at $250.

Initially we were just going to do the $100 flue cleaning. Now we have to pay $350 to get our fireplace operational.

I contacted the association and the manager said the chimney is the homeowner's responsibility. However, the chimney cap is their responsibility so he said he would put in a work order to have it fixed. He said would not pay to have it cleaned out though.

My question is, since the chimney cap caused this problem and it is their responsibility, shouldn't they also cover the cleaning? Or am I stuck with the $250 bill?
Depends on state law and how the HOA is set up. Here any such repair would likely be charged back to the unit owner. The refer to it as sole use common property. It is the property of and maintained by the Association but if it used by only one unit the one unit gets billed for the repairs done to it.

As a real for instance a water pipe was recently replaced in a building...and the four units that used it where billed for the repair. So check around and see how your HOA is set up. But you will probably do better just to pay it.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:37 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Pay the $250- know it was done properly, and call it a lesson learned. Your's and my opinion of maintenance may defer, but I can assure that the HOA's is probably nowhere near the same.

And just for clarification, what are you calling the "chimney cap"?
Is it the shroud; or is it the spark arrester? And what exactly does "not installed correctly" constitute?

Old 11-07-2017, 02:12 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Really? $250 to clean out the chimney cap? You are getting ripped off.

My sweep cleans the cap and screen as an included part of sweeping the chimney. $75 for the whole job which also includes vacuuming out the fireplace.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:52 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
As noted, your actual rights will depend upon HOA rules and local ordinances.

As an anecdotal note that may not apply to your situation, my last HOA would be for damage caused after it was notified of a problem with its property. So, if it was told about the about the cap not being on properly and didn't fix it for a while, any damage then caused they would cover. Any damage done before they were notified they would not be responsible for (which is the case in your situation).

Again, not saying this applies to you, but providing for some reference.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:24 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
it's only fair to point out different areas of the country command different rates. We also do not know how far off the ground for the OP's chimney. My chimneys are probably 50 feet up. A condo, if stacked could be even higher. In my area, I can pretty much count on $100-$125 just to come to the home, before any work is done (for any trade). That is if I want licensed and insured. If I want to mess with unlicensed and uninsured (and possibly not in the country legally), I can pay a lot less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House