Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:50 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,092,724 times

Advertisements

Obviously that floor should not have been laid without a floor leveler product put down first, but that really doesn't sound like the real problem. So my question would be: Did you allow the flooring to acclimate before installing. You could try trimming the edges a little along the walls to see if the flooring will lay out better with a little more perimeter room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 01:47 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
There are different types of sheet vinyl- or better stated, installation procedures. Some sheet vinyl is full contact adhesive while others are perimeter glued.

But, I question your use of the term "wrinkled". Is it actually wrinkles (waves/bubbles) or more a silhouette of the concrete? Perimeter glued sheet can have "wrinkles". But they usually will dissipate over time- especially after a good heat cycle. Full contact installation will show EVERY minor flaw in the concrete- a "telegraphing".

Old 11-12-2017, 04:49 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,541,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Full contact installation will show EVERY minor flaw in the concrete- a "telegraphing".
I believe it was full contact.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:50 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Did anyone allow the material to acclimate to the room? Any flooring product should be open and exposed to the room for several days before it is installed. That is usually on the packaging, so if it was not done then the problem is on the installation crew.
"Good luck with that one"

Old 11-12-2017, 07:57 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Did anyone allow the material to acclimate to the room? Any flooring product should be open and exposed to the room for several days before it is installed. That is usually on the packaging, so if it was not done then the problem is on the installation crew.
"Good luck with that one"

Sheet vinyl requires no acclimating.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:57 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
It was laid on bare concrete. If there was surface prep I wasn't aware of it. I assumed they would do it. I originally purchased it in the store but the materials I wanted wouldn't work with the floor. At that point I was flying blind because I was dealing with the internet department.

So I have zero paperwork from them. Though I do have the contractor info.
Afraid there's your answer right there when it comes to who's responsible.
They also probably 'assumed' you didn't want to go to the expense of having underlayment put down and knew what you were doing.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:47 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,541,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Afraid there's your answer right there when it comes to who's responsible.
They also probably 'assumed' you didn't want to go to the expense of having underlayment put down and knew what you were doing.
Give me a break. It isn't like I even know to ask such things. More like they chose not to do it because they didn't feel like it and quietly pretended not to know any better. They flat out told me that I couldn't have anything but vinal sheet or carpet because of the floor and its not being 100% even. That leads to a fair conclusion that vinal sheet or carpet would work without doing anything to the floors because if I did, I could have any flooring I wanted.

But sounds to me like I am stuck. I bet if I called them out they would say they don't even see the wrinkles as you can only see them in sunlight. I can cover it pretty well with furniture placement and rug / padding.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:26 AM

23,965 posts, read 15,059,733 times
The floor was not 100% even.

In my town they would pour floor leveler first, t hen the sheet goods. Floor leveler can run into some money. I'd get a cheapish rug to cover the part that grated on my nerves.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:32 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Give me a break. It isn't like I even know to ask such things. More like they chose not to do it because they didn't feel like it and quietly pretended not to know any better. They flat out told me that I couldn't have anything but vinal sheet or carpet because of the floor and its not being 100% even. That leads to a fair conclusion that vinal sheet or carpet would work without doing anything to the floors because if I did, I could have any flooring I wanted.

But sounds to me like I am stuck. I bet if I called them out they would say they don't even see the wrinkles as you can only see them in sunlight. I can cover it pretty well with furniture placement and rug / padding.
I can see that you didn't understand totally what they were telling you.
" It is in a basement and I just don't want to invest a ton down there"
if they had told you that making a better surface would be probably 3 times as much or that there would be some imperfection that would only show up when sunlight hit it at an angle, would you have decided to spend it?
They certainly didn't not do it because they 'didn't feel like it'. They wouldn't have done it for the price already given you and without the cost being agreed on.More of a job means more money earned.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:27 AM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I can see that you didn't understand totally what they were telling you.
" It is in a basement and I just don't want to invest a ton down there"
if they had told you that making a better surface would be probably 3 times as much or that there would be some imperfection that would only show up when sunlight hit it at an angle, would you have decided to spend it?
They certainly didn't not do it because they 'didn't feel like it'. They wouldn't have done it for the price already given you and without the cost being agreed on.More of a job means more money earned.
You don’t actually know what they said or didn’t say. Not sure how you can lay blame anywhere without more information.

These floor companies today ( even the good ones) are doing whatever they can to reduces costs and bid the lowest quote. It is is frustrating for a homeowner to hire a company to do a job, and not be provided information and options that will ensure that the job is done correctly. I am going to be doing g new floors soon, and I will be blasting these estimators with every question in the book. The end goal is for the customer to be satisfied with the floor they paid for. Unfortunately far too many companies care only about the “paying for “ part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House