Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 04:21 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,541,552 times

Advertisements

I had Vinyl l flooring installed in my basement. It was Vinyl sheet. But now I can see all kinds of lumps and wrinkles. Is this to be expected or a poor installing job?
Should I call them back? It is home depot.

It has been in for a month and I can only see the wrinkles when the sun is shining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 09:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,906,789 times
I'd call for an inspection but don't get your feeling hurt if they say it's doing it due to moisture.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:22 AM

775 posts, read 775,717 times
If it is Home Depot, call back. They subcontract out to subcontractors. They may not even know who did your job. Log your conversations as managers change as the wind blows. Log the contact phone numbers. DO THIS. We did this when our kitchen remodel went wrong. Ended up sending a 20 page log to their CEO and the manager of the local HD. Long story short, a training video was made of the mistakes made and a total refund of labor costs was made. I won't buy a paint brush there now.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:44 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Who was responsible for the surface preparation?
For instance, did you have it laid on bare concrete?

Old 11-12-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Who was responsible for the surface preparation?
For instance, did you have it laid on bare concrete?
It was laid on bare concrete. If there was surface prep I wasn't aware of it. I assumed they would do it. I originally purchased it in the store but the materials I wanted wouldn't work with the floor. At that point I was flying blind because I was dealing with the internet department.

So I have zero paperwork from them. Though I do have the contractor info.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:31 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I had Vinyl l flooring installed in my basement. It was Vinyl sheet.
But now I can see all kinds of lumps and wrinkles. Is this to be expected or a poor installing job?
Should I call them back? It is home depot.

It has been in for a month and I can only see the wrinkles when the sun is shining.
Quote:
When I first looked at it I thought it was great.
Is there anything I can do? .
Are the circumstances there different now than in Sept when you last asked?
---

In short... it's all about the underlay surface.
Concrete just isn't smooth enough.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:35 AM

It is getting worse. Some parts seem to be coming up.

Seems I am stuck with it and need to invest in some over up for the wrinkles

Old 11-12-2017, 06:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
...need to invest in some cover up for the wrinkles
You need to invest in getting it all up and then having some sort of leveling/smoothing product
put down (that's a whole other thread)... then you can go back to installing laminate.

Or maybe put down carpet over it.
Or just learn to accept it as is and live with it.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Or maybe put down carpet over it.
Or just learn to accept it as is and live with it.
That sounds bout right. It is in a basement and I just don't want to invest a ton down there. I have decided to put some furniture over one part of it and carpet tile on the other.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:39 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,312,588 times
I installed vinyl sheet flooring from Home Depot in the kitchen area of our family room because the wood floor needed to be redone and we weren't ready to do that yet. It's on a level that's about 5 ft above ground and I followed their installation directions exactly. When I first laid it down it was absolutely flat on the floor, now you can see ripples in certain areas and I have no idea why. I know it's not due to moisture.

I don't care though because we're going to rip it up anyway and redo the wood floor underneath but with a situation like yours, I'd get Home Depot back there to fix it even if they have to upgrade you to a better vinyl product to make you happy. If it's laid on uneven cement it shouldn't lift up.. it should settle into the lower parts of the concrete.
Keep complaining and don't stop until you're satisfied. Go over heads if you have to but don't settle for less than quality service. You paid for quality service.. don't settle for less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House