Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 10:26 AM

347 posts, read 1,281,648 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I have an issue that's new to me and could use some advice.

I have a front yard post light that went out. I have power up to a junction box in the garage, then it goes dead at the light. It's 1/2" conduit underground to the light post. It's about a 12' run to the light.

I think it's safe to say something corroded underground.

I'm trying to pull new wires through, but the existing wont budge. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!!

MandK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Break out the shovel and start digging.

I'm going to assume the fact it's not moving is due to a pipe collapse or disintegration and filling with dirt preventing the wire from moving, and not a hidden box in the ground somewhere you are overlooking. Even if you pull it out, more than likely it's going to break where it's pinched, and at best case you can use the broken wire to estimate in the ground where the break is assuming you know where the pipe runs. You'll need to repair the breakage before running a new wire anyway.

I'd disconnect the wire at the junction box in the garage and at the light and measure continuity between the 3 wires on each side. Then, I'd get a long wire, splice to one end, and test for continuity of each wire through the pipe to see if you have a breakage on any of the 3 wires.

Based on those results would dictate what I do next (most likely dig).

Old 11-21-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

I'd disconnect the wire at the junction box in the garage and at the light and measure continuity between the 3 wires on each side. Then, I'd get a long wire, splice to one end, and test for continuity of each wire through the pipe to see if you have a breakage on any of the 3 wires.
Thanks Mike! I'm not exactly sure how to measure/test continuity, but I'll google it.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Not recommending this, but what i did once long ago was hook the wire to our garden tractor and yank it out. The risk is, if there is a box someplace you will rip the whole thing out of the ground. My current answer would be to abandon the existing and drop a new conduit line. That is what power companies usually do. It is more efficient than digging around trying to find the damage so you can repair a collapsing conduit run. It will eventually collapse elsewhere if that is what the problem is. Rent a trencher drop in a new line and you are done in a few hours at a fairly minimal cost. I would use PVC. if you wanr stenchet put concrete around the PVC. Then backfill the trench. If you are using steel pipe and it is a short run, maybe use PVC coated GRC (too expensive for a long run). You do not want it rusting out again.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:11 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
Hey all,

I have an issue that's new to me and could use some advice.

I have a front yard post light that went out. I have power up to a junction box in the garage, then it goes dead at the light. It's 1/2" conduit underground to the light post. It's about a 12' run to the light.

I think it's safe to say something corroded underground.

I'm trying to pull new wires through, but the existing wont budge. Any advice appreciated.

ps - I used a small tractor to try to pull a 4/0 in 2" conduit. I nicely skinned off the insulation and made it into scrap.

Thanks!!

MandK
12' is only a couple of lengths at worst. There is a lubricant specially designed for wire pulling that won't damage the insulation. You might try this:
Get some of the lubricant, push some into the conduit, then use an air compressor to blow it through the entire conduit. Work the existing wire back and forth a little to loosen it and get lubricant on it. Use a linesman's knot to attach the new wire so you pull it in place as you remove the old ones. 1/2" conduit is small and you'll just mash things together if you try to push more wire alongside existing ones.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
I have a front yard post light that went out.
I'm trying to pull new wires through, but the existing wont budge.
I'd be very surprised if that wire is in conduit.
99:1 it's UF.

With a tugger to help it might be usable as a pull line as you pull in NEW wire (more UF)
but far more likely you'll need to do some trenching too.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Take a fish tape and shove in from the light side to the house. See how far it goes. Pull the fish out and look at the tip. Do you see dirt on it? Broken conduit.

Now lay it on the ground stretched out going back towards the house where the j box is. Subtract 18 inches as that’s where the conduit should be buried as far as depth. That will tell you where the blockage is.
If there is a tree or shrubs most likely the roots grew around the pipe and basically strangled it or the pipe broke at a junction.
1/2 inch conduit is really crappy. I dont even use it for underground runs. Most likely it’s stuck at the 90s where the conduit stubs up.

I would disconnect the wires at the j box.

Take a shop vac or compressor and see if you can blow air through the conduit to the other side. If you can you just have stuck wires

I would pour some cable pulling lube down both stub downs and pull the cables out one at a time. Grab a good set of lineman’s and pull

Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'd be very surprised if that wire is in conduit.
99:1 it's UF.

With a tugger to help it might be usable as a pull line as you pull in NEW wire (more UF)
but far more likely you'll need to do some trenching too.

There was no way on earth to pull new wire. The wire was in metal conduit that was fully rusted through. I should have taken a picture.

Solution: New trench, new wire and conduit. Project now complete.

thanks all for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House