Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 06:10 PM

85 posts, read 80,888 times

Advertisements

Are steel homes such as those built by Kodiak, Armstrong, GenSteel a viable alternative to wood built homes and if so, what are the things that need to be paid special attention to ?
Those of you who have or have lived in steel built structures, what are your experiences and recommendations positive or negative if you don't mind sharing your information and knowledge.
We are seriously contemplating a steel structured home but have zero experience or knowledge as to what it would entail to take on a project as large as this.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond !
All opinions are welcome and desired !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 06:30 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
I don’t know anything about the companies you mention, but I worked for commercial General contractors for 25 years doing all kinds of projects from office buildings to wood framed doctors offices that are basically like houses and I could easily build you a house using heavy gauge cold rolled steel framing members instead of wood and you’d never know the difference living in it.

You’d obviously need a commercial drywall company or other contractor familiar with this type of framing instead of a traditional wood framer, but you’d end up with a better product with smoother walls due to no warping.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:40 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
I've not lived in one, but I've seen many a house built with steel instead of wood structure.

As well, I just built a "pole barn" using old steel drill pipe and metal siding/roof. Interior studs for an office area are steel.

Otherwise, the finishing work is pretty much the same. Electrical wiring and fixtures no big deal. Paneling hung the same. Prehung doors the same.

I got several GC bids before making a decision. The steel building was competitive with the all-wood buildings.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:29 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Is this a rhetorical question?

The overwhelming thing to look for/take into consideration is how the thermal bridging was addressed.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:10 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
I wonder if it needs lightning rods or special grounding? I would also worry about ventilation and condensation.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I wonder if it needs lightning rods or special grounding? I would also worry about ventilation and condensation.

Steel homes are no more susceptible to lightning strikes than any other home; grounding is controlled by code (no different than a wood framed home). Ventilation is addressed in the same manner as a wood framed house. Condensation is somewhat related to the "thermal bridging" I mentioned in my initial post.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:21 AM

85 posts, read 80,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Is this a rhetorical question?

The overwhelming thing to look for/take into consideration is how the thermal bridging was addressed.

Thank you Sherrifftruman, sunsprit, K'ledgeBldr, luv4horses for your responses !

K'ledgeBldr, how would you find someone with the knowledge of thermal bridging and how to address the issues involved with the particular structure being constructed and how to avoid those problems ?

Old 12-01-2017, 07:53 AM

The first incarnations of lgs (light gauge steel) homes had problems with thermal bridging. It is now common practice to use techniques that pretty much eliminate the problem. If they are used by a particular builder is another thing altogether.

I'm sure you could find details/white papers on the subject matter on the web.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:55 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
Would it not be better in areas where termite infestation is a problem ( hot , humid)?

Old 12-01-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Would it not be better in areas where termite infestation is a problem ( hot , humid)?

Yes; and no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House